Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: Japan

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:29 pm

I saw that one too. It was a good movie if memory serves. Says she had a bit role though.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093502/
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Recursive Spline Reticulator

Postby Rob Lister » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:35 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:I saw that one too. It was a good movie if memory serves. Says she had a bit role though.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093502/

Oh. I thought she was the Tax Woman. My bad. They all look alike, ya know.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:45 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:I saw that one too. It was a good movie if memory serves. Says she had a bit role though.

As was the much darker sequel. The director was a famous victim of the yakuza died suddenly when he reached the pavement outside his hotel room. For a long time, his films were "unavailable." The "Taxing Woman" was his wife.

This girl appears to have stopped acting since the early 90's and has become a businesswoman devoted to cleaning and other homemaker stuff.

Her husband, for whom she hath fury, appears to be in a Lot of Stuff on Japanese Television that Anax does not watch since no tentacles.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:36 am

Boys’ love manga categorized into more than 30 sub-genres at mainstream Tokyo bookstore

Perfect for all those parents looking for just the right gift for their fujoshi daughters.

Boys’ love, the genre of manga/anime where beautiful boys… well… love each other, has only been growing in popularity, and one place is the center for it all: Ikebukuro in Tokyo. It’s long been a gathering spot for fujoshi, female fans of the genre, and even has a boys’ love cafe where young men serve up drinks and love confessions to each other while dressed as high school students. Who said Japan was not "progressive," at least when it comes to お金ねー!

So it then comes as no surprise that even mainstream Japanese book retailer TSUTAYA has a boys’ love section in Ikebukuro. What may come as a surprise, however, is that their section is so large it’s divided into more than 30 sub-genres!

YAOI!!
will help お父さんAnax.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:46 am

Um, thanks, I guess . . . :Scratch4:
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:13 pm

pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:05 pm

pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:47 pm

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:59 am

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:07 am

--J.D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:21 am

--J.D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:54 am

Witness

Postby Witness » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:52 pm

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:00 am

Nothing weird about that. :notsure:
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Re: A Taxing Woman above, I highly recommend his film that brought down the murderous wrath of the yakuza--in English simply Mimbo--ミンボの女--"Woman of Mimbo" where "Mimbo" is a slang for the type of extortion practiced by yakuza gangs against businesses.

Meanwhile:

--J.D.

P.S. Apparently, Al Davis was 親分:

Witness

Postby Witness » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:13 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Nothing weird about that. :notsure:

That compulsory? (Let's ask ed, he created the thread…)

I think there are other interesting things in Japan, weirdness being of course a part of that, but only a part – which gets as stale and boring as manga & anime when repeated ad nauseam.

But I will comply if it's the general opinion.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:34 am

Just meant as joke, Witness, don't sweat it. :)

As far as minbo, I believe it is a racket whereby yakuza come to a place of business and behave like savages, which frightens away the normal customers. Then they offer to go away if the business owner pays them to go away and leave them alone.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Postby Witness » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:48 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Just meant as joke, Witness, don't sweat it. :)

As it happens, you're not the first, seems there is something to it:

Anaxagoras wrote:As far as minbo, I believe it is a racket whereby yakuza come to a place of business and behave like savages, which frightens away the normal customers. Then they offer to go away if the business owner pays them to go away and leave them alone.

Made me laugh. Can we hire some Yakuza, I see applications… :mrgreen:

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:03 am

Anaxagoras wrote:As far as minbo,

You did know that the "n" is pronounced like an "m" before a plosive fricative like [Stop that.--Ed.]

I believe it is a racket whereby yakuza come to a place of business and behave like savages, which frightens away the normal customers. Then they offer to go away if the business owner pays them to go away and leave them alone.

Exactly, but they do not go away. Every payment invites further extortion. The film wonderfully demonstrates that. Every "just pay them to go away" results in a massive increase in the attention and pain.

What may have condemned the director is the film presents practical responses as opposed to comedic slapstick Home Alone plot devices. What the characters learn to do is what someone could do. Add that along with the unmasking of yakuza as "champions of the community" and all of that was enough to target him.

Meanwhile . . . in:

--J.D.

P.S.
I enjoy his films. However, some I would cautiously recommend. The one that made him famous in "da West" was Tampopo or the "SpaghettiRamen Western," but it has odd tangents that people may not appreciate. It is really about "orality" and "food" to a sexual degree--as he makes clear with one character and in the end.

Your Mom may not "get" that and お母さんのワイフ may give ワイフ様 a 柳刃包丁 to transform you into a particularly interesting garnish for future meals.

This one I have no such reservations.

His "breakout" Japanese Original film has some, because they do not make sense to Westerners. He tangents into things like a husband having an affair. Awesome. Whatever. I suppose his wife--played by His Waifu--not noticing is a "statement." There are scenes which may not translate such as everyone sitting traditional seiza as a priest moans on and on. The camera focuses on the feet of each person shifting.

I liked it, but most people I know would be "meh."

This film, however, is one of the best films I have seen. He used his relatively young--for him--wife as a lead in his films, but she played her parts as she was--falling into to being middle-aged. This worked well in the Taxing Woman franchise where she is a divorced mother struggling and facing the prejudice of "you got no husband? Why?" Similar in Tampopo where she is, except for a funny fantasy scene, never portrayed as beautiful.

In Min[m--Ed.]bo she plays the Japanese Man's Worst Nightmare--a professional woman--worse, a lawyer. She is fantastic as are the others.

Fuck my verbiage, here is an opening scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngSo1JfVy2w

for the [Non--Ed.] Japanese Originals, rules against tattoos in Japan proper were designed to keep out yakuza. Westerners--see Uncle Sam's Misguided Children--with them sometimes fall foul of that. It may have eased a bit, and I believe I posted a comic video of a Westerner claiming "racism" for being kicked out of a bathhouse because of a kanji tattoo . . . the individual characters meaning things like "strong" but the combination meaning "convicted sexual predator!"

Notice the "scam"--they know they should not be there, they act abusive against those who are suppose to be accommodating as if it is their fault, and they try to get money out of it.

In the rain.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:11 am

Yeah, so the reason why some Japanese establishments prohibit tattoos may not just be because tattoos give Japanese people the vapors, although there may be a certain amount of that too. But it is a practical way to discriminate against the wrong sort of people. The sort of people you don't want coming around to your business. Yakuza have a way of making people who aren't one of them very uncomfortable, even just with the way they talk. As you know, there are many different levels of politeness in Japanese, but the way yakuza talk is a whole different level entirely. Very rude, very hostile. It's intended to intimidate, and it works. In that scene, all she does really is to adopt the same manner of talking that the yakuza use, and this throws them off their game. Ladies never talk that way.
How well that would work with real yakuza is another question. It is just a movie after all.
William Shakespeare

Return to “Banter”