The boss of my boss is now my boss

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: The boss of my boss is now my boss

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:10 pm

Since I'm resurrecting threads, I thought I do this one as well.

I am now the boss of my boss. About two months or so ago my boss's boss decided to retire. A couple of years ago he was my boss but he got promoted to my boss's boss while my former boss's boss got demoted to my boss, whom I refer to as scroll lock.

Anyway, they had a party. They did it on a day I was 'in'. They had a cake. At the end of the 'party' I was told I had a meeting with HMFIC. I fully expected to be told that my boss's job was up for grabs, if I wanted it, and that my boss was going to be re-promoted to my boss's boss, which would now be my boss, not to mention stupid. Or! it might be that I was fired, since my boss hates me (for decent reasons having nothing [and everything] to do with business).

I fully expected to say 'no thanks' (and rehearsed the 'no' it in my own head) since I make more than him, work from home, and don't really deal with 'personnel' issues, which I detest. On the off chance I was fired I would have said, 'thank ed for that!'

But no. I was given the opportunity to take my boss's boss's position. I still said no. Really, I wasn't expecting it and it might have sounded feeble. I was told how much it paid. I was told that I could still work from home.

It's been a good quarter.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:30 pm

Congrats. Sounds like a really good thing.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:33 pm

One would think. But now I'm expected to work for a living. I don't much like that.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:21 pm

This job sucks. I gave notice. I like the income but I don't need it. I've been offered to retake my old position but that means somebody gets fired. I don't want my old job back either. The hmfic is blowing up my phone. Sorry dude.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:19 pm

So you'll be posting here more?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:24 pm

double post
Last edited by gnome on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:25 pm

Do not insult the noble Scroll Lock so.

It has a well-defined and known purpose: when on, using the arrow keys on your keyboard scrolls the whole spreadsheet instead of changing the selected cell.

Very useful--why I use it every day.

Ok, that last part is a lie. I never use it. But I know what it's for, dammit! :oldman:
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2