200 Dead On Everest

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Re: 200 Dead On Everest

Postby hammegk » Sun May 22, 2016 2:37 pm

ed wrote:I think that the government ought to step in. There is no "need" to climb Everest. All that is happening is that wealthy members of the patriarchy spend money that would be better spent on the needs of the other 99% and that once they get into trouble, which they inevitably do, require vast expenditures to get them out of said trouble.

I think that the President should put together a committee to study the problem.

Right after he & Michelle climb Everest?

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sun May 22, 2016 7:40 pm

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Mon May 23, 2016 2:41 am

People who want to climb Everest (or any other land mark for that matter) ought to have to put up the amount of money it will take to save their dumb asses if/when they get into trouble on the mountain.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon May 23, 2016 2:48 am

sparks wrote:People who want to climb Everest (or any other land mark for that matter) ought to have to put up the amount of money it will take to save their dumb asses if/when they get into trouble on the mountain.

Oh, they do. The government of Nepal isn't going to provide that service to wealthy foreigners for free.
This has become a profitable business for them. These days tourists typically pay around $45,000 for the privilege, and more if they require rescuing.

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2015/12 ... t-everest/

Interesting reading.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Mon May 23, 2016 4:20 am

Interesting to say the least. Thanks Anax.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon May 23, 2016 4:35 am

One of the interesting points:
Should I Use Supplemental Oxygen?

If you choose not to, you will be in a tiny group. Of the 7001 summits, only 193 climbers summited without supplemental oxygen through August 2015, or about 2.7%. But more critically, of the 282 deaths, 102 died attempting to summit without using supplemental oxygen.

Supplemental oxygen gives the body a 3,000 foot advantage. In other words, when the climber is at 28,000 feet, the body feels like it is at 25,000 feet. The main benefit of supplemental oxygen is that you feel warmer thus allowing the heart to pump blood, and oxygen to fingers and toes thus reducing the risk of frostbite.

Many people feel superior not using supplemental oxygen but climbing Everest should not be about ego – poor judgment and unnecessary risks can cost you your life. As mentioned, 2.7% climb without supplemental oxygen but 36% of the deaths are those who climbed without supplemental oxygen.

IOW, attempting to do it without supplemental oxygen increases your risk of death by more than 13-fold.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon May 23, 2016 5:24 am

People have a very unrealistic idea concerning their risks in life. "It won't happen to me."

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon May 23, 2016 9:12 am

Now it's up to 4 dead in the last 4 days, and 2 missing (which probably means dead).

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/22/asia/ ... ng-deaths/

One was a triathlete, he died of a heart attack, presumably. Being physically fit is no guarantee I guess (everyone who attempts must be quite fit of course, it would be madness not to be. Another woman died of a stroke. Young, physically fit adults.)
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Mon May 23, 2016 10:41 am

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon May 23, 2016 10:53 am

And of course it varies around that 253 mmHg pressure depending on the weather so in bad weather conditions it could be even less. I don't know how low, but it seems that these deaths tend to cluster together.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Postby ed » Mon May 23, 2016 11:07 am

All the more reason for the benign hand of government to take over.

And, BTW, how many inner city people of color have Summited? Chicano's? Physically or mentally challenged? Quadriplegics? Hermaphrodites? Transgender? Racially Misidentified? Wops?

Clearly a committee is called for.
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon May 23, 2016 1:31 pm

ed is trolling, but this is not a good place for it.

Not that he's unwelcome in any way of course.

But if you really want an appreciative audience, may I suggest Free Republic and Democratic Underground?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Postby ed » Mon May 23, 2016 1:35 pm

If it is done here it is not trolling it is a fashion statement
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon May 23, 2016 1:36 pm

ed wrote:If it is done here it is not trolling it is a fashion statement

Very good point.

Carry on. :coolspecs:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Mon May 23, 2016 8:03 pm

http://time.com/4344556/mount-everest-d ... ing-vegan/

Woman Trying to Prove ‘Vegans Can Do Anything’ Dies of Altitude Sickness on Mount Everest
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon May 23, 2016 8:05 pm

She proved Vegans can also die of altitude sickness.

I guess.

--J.D.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Mon May 23, 2016 11:25 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue May 31, 2016 2:45 am

Grammatron wrote:http://time.com/4344556/mount-everest-death-climbing-vegan/

Woman Trying to Prove ‘Vegans Can Do Anything’ Dies of Altitude Sickness on Mount Everest

Vegan Climber Whose Wife Died on Everest: It's My Fault

(Newser) – The husband of a woman who died climbing Mount Everest earlier this month says he blames himself for her death, the Guardian reports. In an interview with Network Seven in Australia, Robert Gropel says wife Maria Strydom seemed exhausted from climbing when they were just 15 minutes from the peak. "I asked: 'Do you mind if I go on,' and she said: 'Yes, you go on, I’ll wait for you here,'" says Gropel. "From that position the summit didn’t look that far." Not realizing that she was suffering from altitude sickness, which can be lethal, Gropel kept climbing to the top of the world. "I just ran up and down and it didn’t mean anything to me," he adds. "When I made it to the summit of Everest it wasn’t special to me, because I didn’t have her there."

When he got back and they began descending, 34-year-old Strydom had trouble walking and talking and even hallucinated, possibly due to a stroke brought on by cerebral edema. With sherpa guides helping, Gropel says he gave her altitude-sickness medication and they made camp, but she got worse overnight and died in his arms on May 20. "I'm her husband, it’s my job to protect my wife and get her home and it’s just natural for me to blame myself," says the Australian. "I still can’t look at any pictures of her because it breaks my heart." Both vegans, Gropel and Strydom hoped to show the world "that vegans can do anything and more," Strydom said in March, per the Independent. Initially left behind, Strydom's body has been picked up by helicopter and flown to Kathmandu. (Meanwhile, her mother isn't satisfied by the official story.)

It doesn't matter if it's just a little bit farther to the summit, if you start to suffer from altitude sickness, it's go back immediately or die (she might have died anyway, but his decision to press on probably doomed her). Although I can understand the decision after coming so far and spending so much time and money only to have to turn back just before reaching your goal. (You have to spend some weeks at base camp just to get your red blood cell count up)
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue May 31, 2016 3:57 am

While one can understand the emotional need of her mother to find something to blame, she can only blame herself and her idiot of a husband. I brand him an "idiot" because even those of us laying down roots in our chairs have learned, in minutes, the risks and even some of the signs and symptoms of altitude sickness. We all know the risks.

He should have as well. He and his wife perhaps knew them but ignored them.

Now that is that. No need to pile on him further.

--J.D.

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Tue May 31, 2016 4:18 am

Anyone who goes up there and dies had it coming! You should never try to achieve anything! Look at me, I've never tried to achieve anything, and I'm successful at it!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Return to “Banter”