optical illusion

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: optical illusion

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:25 pm

I perceive only 3 colors.

Does that mean I'm color blind? :coolspecs:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:43 pm

Most people see the left arm of the Y looking more green and the right arm looking more blue.

How about this one? This also only has three colours, not counting the single black pixel right at the centre.

The 'Y' version again, seeing as how we're on a new page

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:51 am

ceptimus wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:43 pm
Are you still green, or turning blue? Happy birthday (if I'm not mistaken)!

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:55 pm

It's no surprise... Band colors together and it will seem like a sort of blend. In this case two different blends.

RGB screens had only three colors too.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:29 pm

gnome wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:55 pm
Not sure what you mean by RBG screens. If you're referring to the usual sorts of displays used on TVs and computer monitors, then yes, there are usually only three types of phosphor - but usually the intensity of each red, green, or blue phosphor dot can be specified with 5, 6, 8, or more bits of resolution - so these displays can show tens of thousands, up to millions of different colors.

This is different to the optical illusions that really do use only three colors over large areas (many pixels) - and with no variation of intensity of those colors. You could reproduce the same images on paper using three different paints, and they would be just as effective.

The reason these particular illusions work is that the color resolution of our eyes is much worse than the intensity resolution. Our brains form a mental image that attempts to reconstruct high resolution color using just brightness data, with some rough inaccurate color data present: it shouldn't really surprise us that sometimes they're fooled.

robinson
Title: Be good to each other

Post by robinson » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:29 pm

ceptimus wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:29 pm
gnome wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:55 pm
Not sure what you mean by RBG screens. If you're referring to the usual sorts of displays used on TVs and computer monitors, then yes, there are usually only three types of phosphor - but usually the intensity of each red, green, or blue phosphor dot can be specified with 5, 6, 8, or more bits of resolution - so these displays can show tens of thousands, up to millions of different colors.

This is different to the optical illusions that really do use only three colors over large areas (many pixels)
Actually it's not that different. When you see a "white" screen on your computer, it actually looks like this.

or this

In fact everything on the screen we see is actually just three colors. Yes, the intensity of the colors changes to allow the illusion of many many colors, but you are always seeing three colors for each pixel, which is a grand illusion.
You never know what's going to happen

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:54 pm

What I see is not color mixing, Impressionist (or computer screen) style, but color contrast. Analogous to the same grey appearing lighter or darker when next to black or white.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:33 am