Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Japan

Postby sparks » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:58 am

Oh noes! We loses our sister-city status? Why can't our little yellow brothers simply admit and apologize for a horrible situation and move forward?

Bugger all.
Nice things? Hell no!

Board Crumbmuffin.

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:17 am

sparks wrote:admit and apologize

That… that… would be losing face! :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo7g0FQS6q0

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:06 am

sparks wrote:Why can't our little yellow brothers simply admit and apologize for a horrible situation and move forward?

Part of the conflict in the Japanese government that delayed and nearly prevented any concept of surrender was over whether or not Japan was at all responsible for the war. What won out was the great myth that Japan was always defending herself and her "partners"--vassals--in the "Greater Asian Cooperation Area," and all that had happened was the fault of the US and her allies' imperialistic aggressions. Thus, the war "did not turn out necessary to her advantage."

This myth is very similar to the "Lost Cause" myth that the American Civil War "4 r34lz" had nothing to do with slavery and, like, you know, the South had ended the slave trade, and, you know, there were like, you know, some slaves who fought for the Confederacy, therefore Northern Aggression!

I believe I cited the work of a now deceased educator who fought in the courts for decades to teach what really happened in WWII. This man was no fan of Hiroshima and Nagasaki--he bought into the myth that they were unnecessary. Sort of ironic since he demanded confrontation of the systematic genocides, medical experiments, torture and murder of prisoners, all the way to comfort women, but he did not own a calculator to add up the monthly civilian death tolls in China, Korea, and even Japan.

However, everyone is a critic.

There is a modern documentary where a Japanese history teacher asks students of the age that Anax swats his cane at how many people died in China. No idea. "Comfort women?" No idea at best or "propagandist lies!11!!!"

Imagine if Germany never allowed a Holocaust memorial, clung to the sort of racist fantasies you find spouted by "Historical Revisionists/Modern Anti-Semites"--like a certain president of Iran did . . . and Ukrainian politicians . . . and Russian politicians--refused to compensate any Jewish victims to the point of refusing to return stolen money and goods, all the way to then demanding America and Britain apologize for Dresden every year.

That bad.

You will, sadly, still find it in anime and manga: Americans are aggressive militarists. Japan is passive but righteous. One of the reasons I hate Aikira is because it is really nothing more than one huge masturbation to the wet dream of defeating "the aggressors with like super weapons!" without an ounce of self-understanding. The ending of the manga is particularly vile. Gantz descends into this nonsense as well:

It is the AMERICAN soldiers who force the invading aliens to fight and rape one another . . . not the Japanese . . . who actually did that in WWII. America is portrayed as hot-headed racists, while the Japanese are calm, rational, and "win the war." Of course, most of America is destroyed on her own. Need to remove that super power so Japan can lead the rebirth. The author is a good writer, but he has a chip on his shoulder. They are currently showing the anime of his latest popular manga, and it will be interesting if it retains Trump as the President basically screaming profanity into the television.

Okay, he may have a point there.

I believe I have pontificated previously on how the celebrated manga Barefoot Gen was systematically bowdlerized of any criticism of Japan or its military or civilian support of the war--elements that are quite present in the Japanese Original, including the main character confessing his racism. All gone.

Even what is considered one of the saddest films ever made--The Grave of the Fireflies--does not consider why Japan is in the state it was in.

The Old Men over the decades after WWII had hoped the myth would take hold and that would be that. Sort of like in 'murica "Injuns" did nothing but scalp white people and drink a lot in the process. The thing is, the children--CHILDREN!! [Stop it.--Ed.]--in Korea and China learn their history. They wonder why the Japanese do not know and accept what happened. The Japanese cannot run from the past:

The cycle of stupidity continues.

Which is why you now have far more aggressive responses, such as Koreans erecting these statutes right outside of Japanese Consulates. Why does the government care about San Francisco? Because it is a very populous city that attracts metric shit-tons of furiner tourists--including Japanese--and such a statue serves as a reminder that the myth is nothing more than a myth.

I cited Germany since, for decades, she wore the shame of Nazism. You want a villain in a 60s movie that is not Gram Russkie? Get someone to put on a face scar and a uniform. See Fawlty Towers. One of the funniest lines in Yes, Prime Minister comes from Sir Humphrey explaining Germany entered what was then called "the Common Market," "to regain admission into the human race."

Yet, over time, the realization that "most Germans now" are not "those Germans then," has taken hold. It is not perfect, of course, but you can tour a Holocaust museum in Germany. To point to a German now and accuse him of "being a Nazi," seems trite to racist.

Of course, if he is waving a Nazi flag like NASCAR fans wave the Confederate Battle flag . . . that would be something else entirely.

I digress. . . .

Any museums to the atrocities against civilians in Japan? The very old Okinawans "who were there" will talk about, very quietly, events such as the Japanese soldiers pushing civilians off of cliffs. Any memorial to that? You can visit those cliffs. There is nothing there.

In a way, this is a perfect "troll job": it pisses off those who need to be offended. It is also very public. Even ten years ago, who the fuck would know about this? Subscribing to an English translation of a Japanese newspaper? Care what happens in San Francisco when you do not live in a t3h gh3y city?

Not . . . that there would be anything wrong with it if you did; we are not judging you, sparks.

No. But with "24-7" news and Al Gore, we ["We?"--Ed.] can learn about this and discuss it. It will not go away.

Even:

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:37 pm

I recently ran a documentary which opened with an interviewer asking some very young and pretty Jpop girls the significance of the dates August 6th and 9th 1945.

(As edited) none of them knew.

One wonders how many times we must repeat the same old shit before we finally get it.
Nice things? Hell no!

Board Crumbmuffin.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:49 pm

sparks wrote:I recently ran a documentary which opened with an interviewer asking some very young and pretty Jpop girls the significance of the dates August 6th and 9th 1945.

(As edited) none of them knew.

One wonders how many times we must repeat the same old shit before we they finally get it.

fify

sparks

Postby sparks » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:38 pm

We are all culpable in this fucking mess Rob.
Nice things? Hell no!

Board Crumbmuffin.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:10 pm

sparks wrote:We are all culpable in this fucking mess Rob.

You and the mouse in your pocket.

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:47 pm

Witness wrote:

Did he catch his wife sleeping with Anax?
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:27 am

Green tea cat-shaped bread going on sale in Japan

There's also a black version (bamboo charcoal):

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:18 am

WildCat wrote:
Witness wrote:

Did he catch his wife sleeping with Anax?

i REALLY want an english translation to that. I want to forgive him. He cried good.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:57 am

As I recall he was caught frivolously using taxpayer money to pay for personal travel.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... bc09f9c65e

Now this, ladies and gentlemen, is a press conference.

A local Japanese lawmaker named Ryutaro Nonomura delivered on Tuesday one of the most dramatic and confusingly emotional answer-and-question sessions probably ever. For several long minutes, before a room of baffled reporters, he cried, screamed, pounded the table, bowed, tried to shield himself drinking water and generally had one big old hissy fit.

More puzzling was the fact that he’s not accused of doing anything explicitly illegal, the Associated Press reports. A Kobe Shimbun newspaper this week questioned why he had visited a nearby hot springs 106 times last year, racking up $30,000 in expenses. Such visits aren’t inherently against the law, though reports disagree as to whether he had the proper receipts.

By way of explanation, he got more than a little misty.

“[Crying] . . . I finally became an assembly member . . . [crying] . . . with the sole purpose of changing society,” he bawled during the three-hour Kobe press conference, according to the Japan Times. “[Crying] . . . This Japan . . . [crying] . . . I want to change this society… [crying] . . . I have staked my life . . . [crying] . . . Don’t you understand?”

The Hyogo Prefecture statesman added, emphatically, “I’m putting my life on the line!”

It basically made no sense, was self-aggrandizing and was 見っともない (cringeworthy, disgraceful, embarrassing) in the extreme.

That's the word a mother would use for her three-year-old having a temper tantrum in public because she won't buy him candy or a toy.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:49 am

Construction has begun on Japan's maglev train:

In the wee hours, Shinagawa a hive of activity for new maglev

With a boisterous shout of “One, two, heave!”, work resumed at midnight Nov. 24 to remove rail tracks at Tokyo's JR Shinagawa Station to construct a new terminal for the planned magnetically levitated (maglev) service.

The work by Central Japan Railway Co. (JR Tokai), unveiled to reporters, continued four hours and a half after the last bullet train service and before the first morning run.

“It's a challenging task as we have to work within a limited time and space,” said Hirokazu Oba, JR Tokai's engineer involved in the construction of the maglev line. The company allotted 100 workers to remove rail tracks.

The much-anticipated high-speed Linear Chuo Shinkansen maglev line is set to start in 2027 and will connect Shinagawa with Nagoya Station.

JR Tokai will operate maglev trains 40 meters below the rail tracks of the current bullet trains on Tokaido Shinkansen Line.

Work to build a new train station there began in January 2017.

Workers began by scooping up pebbles that lay under the rail tracks before they installed a 12.4-meter-long bridge beam weighing 30 tons with a crane and put the tracks back.

The schedule calls for a bridge beam to be installed each day. So far, six of the 123 beams have been put in place.

There's some pictures so you can actually see what the new "rails" will look like. I was unable to embed them.

But it's really being built. If they complete it on schedule it should be in service in 10 years.

Of course, Japan already has high-speed rail, but this would be even faster. I think Elon Musk's "hyperloop" is vaporware, but this one may actually be a reality someday.
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:30 pm

https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/ ... -the-floor

Japanese Lawmaker's Baby Gets Booted From The Floor

Damn, they're rough in Japan.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:02 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:53 am

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:30 am

Theremins

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin

A Matryomin is just a variant placed inside a Matryoshka doll.

The Matryomin by Masami Takeuchi, is a single-antenna Theremin-type device mounted inside a Matryoshka doll (aka Russian Doll).[68]
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:33 pm

pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:16 am

Because

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:50 am

William Shakespeare

Witness

Postby Witness » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:34 am

Holy crap! Break out your headphones, it's worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKI9VThPB4w

:shock:

Return to “Banter”