Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Japan

Postby sparks » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:08 am

Why would anyone want to Nuke Japan? Again??

(Unless, of course, they start building military infrastructure again, in which case....)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:02 am

Wooden?

Do they have fire codes in Japan?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:08 am

sparks wrote:Why would anyone want to Nuke Japan? Again??

Historical reenactment:

1996: Civil War Enthusiasts Burn Atlanta To Ground

ATLANTA—The city of Atlanta was destroyed and 230,000 were killed Sunday when a group of overzealous Civil War buffs marched through the Georgian capital, burning it to the ground.

In an exciting historical reenactment, members of the Maryland Civil War Preservation Society destroyed all of downtown Atlanta Sunday.
"It was very exciting," said Bob Gerhardt, 43, president of the Maryland Civil War Preservation Society, the group responsible for the attack. "We rode in on horseback just after dawn, crossing the Chattahoochee and approaching the city from the west, just as General Sherman did in 1864. We even used the same kind of kerosene as the Union Army. No detail was spared."

The attack began just before 6 a.m., when guests at Atlanta's Peachtree Plaza hotel were awakened by the sound of a cast-iron cannonball blasting through the hotel lobby. Within an hour, the 71-story building was engulfed in flames. By noon, the flames had spread through the entire downtown area.
"First the Braves lose the World Series, and now my whole family is dead," said Atlanta resident Ben Halleran. "This has been quite a week." Just wait until 21 years.

Too soon?

While the attack caused some $2.1 billion in damage, it did have a positive side, as the city's 124,000 black residents were freed.

"Run, run free!" Preservation Society member Phil Spillner, a Baltimore-area dentist shouted to a group of black men near the CNN Building. "You have all been freed! God bless President Lincoln!"

Nearby, at the Georgia Dome, a battalion of Union soldiers stormed onto the field during the third quarter of the Atlanta Falcons' game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, emancipating a number of Falcons, including All-Pro linebacker Jessie Tuggle.

According to Gerhardt, the Maryland history buffs plan to continue their assault on the heart of Dixie, marching all the way to Savannah.

"We will drive the Rebels to the sea," said Phyllis Borelli, a Silver Spring, MD, legal secretary. "Ooh, this is so fascinating—I feel like I'm really there!"

The Atlanta attack is the most destructive historical reenactment since 1991, when a group of Cleveland-area World War II buffs dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima.

A RIVER to. . . .

The Only Non-Shit Post Source You Can Trust!

--J. "Salt Water!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:09 pm

pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:41 pm

Thought I posted that a bit ago.

Surprised she went through with it. I mean, really, people.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:54 pm

Meanwhile . . . in Japan[ese Original litigation--Ed.]

Conveyor belt sushi chain where foreigner filmed GoPro video considers pressing criminal charges

In general, Japan takes hygiene very seriously, and the country’s privacy laws are also much stricter than in many other nations (if you’ve ever wondered why you sometimes see faces blurred out in photography of our on-site event reports, that’s why). While a number of the diners seen in TkyoSam’s video waved and smiled for the camera, some also seemed perplexed or startled by suddenly having a lens pointed at them.
. . . .
As for all that scary talk of legal action? TkyoSam’s video has already been deleted from YouTube (whether by his choice or the website’s is unknown), and since Akindo Sushiro posted the statement on March 10, there’s been no concrete announcement that they’ve begun pressing charges against the YouTuber. Still, the threat is out there, so maybe you’re better off keeping your camera pointed at the sushi instead.

Wokketto Nūzū

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:19 pm

I don't think it's criminal but I did think it's rude.

I mean, if you walked into a random restaurant in America with a video camera and just went to each table and filmed them for a few seconds, would everybody be OK with that? Most of them seemed surprisingly OK with that ( I didn't watch the whole way through) but I think somebody in the place wouldn't take too kindly to that.

What I'm saying is that I don't think it's a particular Japanese thing to be upset by this.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:41 pm

It was extremely rude to do. But I enjoyed watching it.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:09 pm

The cleanliness of it make me want to eat there.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:20 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:I mean, if you walked into a random restaurant in America with a video camera and just went to each table and filmed them for a few seconds, would everybody be OK with that?

Probably not, and since it is a privately owned business, they can order you to stop, leave, et cetera.

What I'm saying is that I don't think it's a particular Japanese thing to be upset by this.

I would agree. Recall the controversy over the asshole going up to Japanese people with a camera playing an idiot for reactions.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Japanese women’s breasts get dismal satisfaction evaluation…from their owners

Survey reveals pitifully low numerical score women give their chests, seeks to answer if nipple size or bounciness is more important for ideal breasts.

As a society, Japan is pretty enamored with breasts. This is, after all, the land of the “breast slash” cafe, the annual Bioppai Beautiful Breasts contest, and a linguistic cornucopia of words that mean “boobs.”

But how do individual Japanese women feel about their own breasts? To find out, Himawari Life Insurance, as a tangent to its myriad breast cancer awareness programs, surveyed 1,000 Japanese women, 250 each in their 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s, about what they feel makes a great pair of breasts, and also whether or not they’re pleased with the ones they have.

It turned out that most of the participants are not. When asked to rate their breasts on a scale of 1 to 100, the average score was a mere 46.1.

Rocket Oppai!

--J.D.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:58 pm

So...low self esteem causes small boobs?

What?

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:55 am

Why massaging helps them grow. [Citation needed.--Ed.]

Meanwhile . . . in Japan:

--J.D.

sparks

Postby sparks » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:49 pm

Tentacle flowers?

"We haven't seen this form yet."

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:46 pm

Cherry blossoms, called sakura in Japanese. Not quite the season for it yet, at least not where I live, but it will be quite soon. Plum blossoms are already blooming.

ETA: I stand corrected. Just saw my first cherry blossom of the season on my way to work this morning. They came early this year.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Postby Witness » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:46 am

The Japan Times wrote:Japan struggles to overcome its groping problem

A group of men boarded the women-only car of the Chiyoda Line subway in Tokyo during the morning commute on Feb. 16 as a form of protest, saying that excluding men was a form of discrimination. Such protests are not unusual, but the media almost never covers them. In this case, the women who were already on the train objected loudly, but the men refused to leave after the train arrived at Kokkai-gijidomae Station, thus prompting station staff to become involved. Then, one of the protesters pushed the emergency stop button on the platform. The train ended up being delayed by more than 15 minutes.

Now that was news, so when one of the leaders of the anti-women-only car movement, a man called “Dr. Sabetsu” (“Dr. Discrimination”), tried to speak publicly in front of Shibuya Station on Feb. 24, the press was on hand. This is exactly the kind of publicity the movement has been trying to attract for years. Dr. Sabetsu said that discrimination is discrimination, regardless of the reason, and that men had every right to ride on any train car they wanted to.

The reason for women-only train cars is chikan — sexual molestation or groping — a problem as old as rush hour itself and one that Japan has never been able to solve. Starting around the turn of the century, some train lines in Tokyo introduced women-only cars as an option on some evenings, mainly at the request of the Metropolitan Police Department.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/03/17/national/media-national/japan-struggles-overcome-groping-problem/

I wonder what the frustration level is, in Japan. :?

shuize

Postby shuize » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:47 pm

Witness wrote:I wonder what the frustration level is, in Japan. :?

I live in Japan. But I regularly thank whatever Shinto spirits watch over this land that I do not work as a salaryman here.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:11 am

The women-only cars don't really bother me personally. Not every train has them but as far as the ones that do, it's usually just one out of 10 cars or something like that. I think my daughter, who is 21 and going to college, uses them for her commute, so I don't begrudge it. If it means she can avoid being groped even once, it's worth it to me as a father. There really is hardly any inconvenience, at least on my own commute. That car seems to be just as crowded as the others. So I don't think it makes the other cars more crowded. Maybe it's different on different train lines though.

As far as how it used to be in the bad old days, my waifu has told me about how she was groped going to high school. It certainly used to be a thing.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:15 am

I guess women aren't equal after all.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:24 am

Grammatron wrote:I guess women aren't equal after all.

Equal's got nothing to do with it.

Women and men are different. They have different needs and preferences.
William Shakespeare

Return to “Banter”