Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: Japan

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:23 pm

Eugenics and forced sterilizations.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/ ... rt9IVLXfCQ
SENDAI – The government Wednesday demanded the dismissal of a compensation claim filed by a woman in her 60s with intellectual disabilities over her forced sterilization under the now-defunct eugenic protection law.

In the first such trial in Japan, the woman from Miyagi Prefecture is seeking ¥11 million ($104,000) in damages from the state, claiming it failed to take legislative measures to save the victims from “grave human rights violations.”
That doesn't seem like much money. I wonder what they are scared off? Well apparently the number of victims could run into the tens of thousands depending on how many are still alive.
The Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry has maintained that forced sterilizations were legal at the time. The law, in force from 1948 to 1996, authorized the sterilization of people with intellectual disabilities, mental illness or hereditary disorders to prevent births of “inferior” offspring.

Koji Niisato, who heads the woman’s legal team, said in the first hearing on Wednesday at the Sendai District Court, “A (sterilization) surgery breaches fundamental human rights guaranteed by the Constitution as it deprives the disabled of their right to decide on their own whether to bear and raise a child.”

Calling for expedient measures because many victims are getting old, Niisato said their opportunities for marriage had been “taken away” and they endured “immeasurable physical and psychological pain.”

According to the suit, the woman was diagnosed with “hereditary feeble-mindedness” at age 15 in 1972 and was forcibly sterilized following a screening by a prefectural panel. After the surgery, she routinely suffered from stomachaches and went through mental anguish, with a prospective marriage broken off because of the sterilization.

The trial comes as the issue has garnered increasing public attention, with lawmakers forming a bipartisan group to study relief measures for people who were sterilized under the law. The health ministry has also decided to conduct a nationwide survey on forced sterilization.

Around 25,000 people were sterilized under the law, some 16,500 without their consent. The state has not apologized or provided compensation. Other victims in Hokkaido and Tokyo have either filed or are planning to file lawsuits following the example of the Miyagi woman.
This one was in 1972. And the law wasn't repealed until 1996. I wonder when the last forced sterilization was performed.
The law, modeled on similar legislation in Nazi Germany, was enacted in 1948 as a measure to control population growth amid a postwar food shortages. However, it remained in force until 1996, long after the country’s recovery.
Hmm, maybe when a law is modeled on a similar one from Nazi Germany, uh maybe that's some kind of subtle hint that it's a bad law? Just a thought.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:44 pm

What the hell is, “hereditary feeble-mindedness?”

Was she born in Arkansas?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:04 pm

Yeah, just an obsolete term. This one is closely associated with the eugenics movement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeble-minded
The term feeble-minded was used from the late nineteenth century in Europe, the United States and Australasia for disorders later referred to as illnesses or deficiencies of the mind.

At the time, mental deficiency encompassed all degrees of educational and social deficiency. Within the concept of mental deficiency, researchers established a hierarchy, ranging from idiocy, at the most severe end of the scale; to imbecility, at the median point; and to feeble-mindedness at the highest end of functioning. The latter was conceived of as a form of high-grade mental deficiency.[1]

The development of the ranking system of mental deficiency has been attributed to Sir Charles Trevelyan in 1876, and was associated with the rise of eugenics.[2] The term and hierarchy had been used in that sense at least ten years previously.[3] "Wild card" terms outside the established hierarchy such as idiot savant, may have been used as connotations for varying degrees of autism.[citation needed]
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:26 am

As I suspected: bullshit.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:50 am

https://www.boredpanda.com/aluminum-foil-ball-japan/
Japanese Are Polishing Foil Balls To Perfection, And The Result Is Too Satisfying

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:05 am

Just something else to do while waiting to die.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:16 am

That really was Too Satisfying.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:22 am

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:52 am

Where's the ceremonious ceremony

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:04 am

The Mainichi wrote:Case of child care worker chided for getting pregnant before her 'turn' not uncommon

The story of a woman working at a private child care center in Aichi Prefecture, who was reprimanded for getting pregnant before it was her "turn" as dictated by the head of the child care center, has garnered broad public attention. The child care worker and her husband apologized to the child care center director, but the woman was chided by her boss for "selfishly breaking the rules."

The case came to light in a letter the woman's 28-year-old husband wrote to the Mainichi Shimbun, published in the Feb. 28 Japanese morning edition's "Otoko no kimochi" (A man's feelings) section. At this particular child care center, the director had set up "shifts" for when the female staff could get married and pregnant. The incident shed light on the labor conditions of child care providers, who in the shadow of the more well-known issue of long child care waitlists, cannot even have their own children with peace of mind.
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... na/003000c

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:46 am

Witness wrote:
The Mainichi wrote:Case of child care worker chided for getting pregnant before her 'turn' not uncommon

The story of a woman working at a private child care center in Aichi Prefecture, who was reprimanded for getting pregnant before it was her "turn" as dictated by the head of the child care center, has garnered broad public attention. The child care worker and her husband apologized to the child care center director, but the woman was chided by her boss for "selfishly breaking the rules."

The case came to light in a letter the woman's 28-year-old husband wrote to the Mainichi Shimbun, published in the Feb. 28 Japanese morning edition's "Otoko no kimochi" (A man's feelings) section. At this particular child care center, the director had set up "shifts" for when the female staff could get married and pregnant. The incident shed light on the labor conditions of child care providers, who in the shadow of the more well-known issue of long child care waitlists, cannot even have their own children with peace of mind.
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... na/003000c
Well, I know sounds kind of crazy but a "chiding" isn't really a serious punishment. The unemployment rate in Japan is now as low as 2.4% and probably in that industry there is a severe lack of workers. Such that there are long waiting lists to even get your child enrolled in a day care program. So I can actually see it from the employer's perspective. And if she wanted to work for a different day care provider, I'm sure that many others would hire her in an instant because they all need as many workers as they can find. One can only imagine the economic distortions that will come as more and more people age out of the workforce while the number aging into the workforce continues to shrink. There's work already for anyone with a pulse, and working overtime is expected in many companies.

Japan’s Unemployment Rate Drops to Uncharted Territory
Image Credit: Pixabay
Japan’s jobless rate for January improved by 0.3 percent, squeezing the labor force to maximum participation.

By Thisanka Siripala
March 09, 2018

Last Friday, Japan’s Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications announced that the unemployment rate for January had fallen to 2.4 percent, down 0.3 percent from the previous two months. That marked the lowest rate in 24 years. The jobs-per-person ratio also jumped to a level not seen since the 1970s, with 159 jobs per 100 people.

The government’s structural reforms, encouraging women and elderly citizens to return to work, have successfully attracted an additional 920,000 new workers to the labor force, compared to data the same time last year. Although the prime working population, aged between 16 and 64, has been shrinking for 61 consecutive months, the number of people entering the workforce has been steadily climbing. The director of the German Institute for Japanese Studies, Professor Franz Waldenberger, highlights that Japan’s economy is being stretched beyond statistical “full employment” to an unprecedented extent. The world’s third largest economy currently employs 65,600,000 people, and although approximately 30 percent of the population is over the age of 65, more than half of people within the 65-69 age bracket are currently working. Waldenberger says business cycle unemployment is now a thing of the past and the job market is so tight that employment is no longer susceptible to cyclical fluctuations.

Tokyo is rife with visible signs of a labor crisis. Job advertisements plastered on the windows of restaurants, retailers, and train stations – all desperate for new staff – are a staple of the urban landscape. In particular, workers from labor intensive fields and low-skilled job hunters are spoiled for choice. With eight consecutive quarters of modest economic growth, booming sectors such as construction are struggling to maintain a steady inflow of workers to keep up with surging demand stemming from the rebuilding of the disaster-affected Tohoko region and projects linked to the 2020 Olympics.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:27 am

'Murica?

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:41 am

Doctor X wrote:Image

'Murica?

--J.D.
Burg Holic. That's actually just a short walk from where I work, although I haven't actually paid them a visit yet. It's a little bit pricy. About double what I usually pay for dinner. Still, maybe I'll give it a try. The salsa burger looks enticing.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:20 am

Isn't Tokyo the food capital of the world? It would probably be impossible to try everything.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:27 am

Your Mom did.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:00 am

Grammatron wrote:Isn't Tokyo the food capital of the world? It would probably be impossible to try everything.
Yeah, so I've heard. But this one is nearby. I literally walk right past it on my way home some days, depending on which train station I use. Honestly that pizza burger doesn't look all that appetizing to me, and I like both pizza and burgers. There's another place just down the road from it that I frequent where I can get a good dinner in the 600-800 yen range. At Burg Holic the prices start at over 1000 yen for their most basic burger.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:09 am

It does look like a shitty frozen pizza on a shitty burger.

For Gram's Mom 1000 円 [Stop that!--Ed.] is about $10-12 in real money.

--J.D.

shuize

Post by shuize » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:40 am

This story made my day.
Female medics attempting to save the life of a Japanese mayor who collapsed in a sumo ring were ordered to get off the stage, which is considered a sacred space from which women are banned.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/fe ... spartanntp

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:03 pm

You wouldn't want the sacred ring of dirt and straw to be sullied by girl cooties, would you? I should hope not! Cuz it's like, holy or something. Catholics would understand.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:45 pm

Fat boys fear the girls.

--J.D.