Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: Japan

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:48 am

I could be wrong but I think at most high schools in Japan, getting pregnant would be grounds for expulsion. (Something I heard from my waifu, but I haven't looked into myself.) She may have been remembering the policy when she was in high school though. Sometimes a girl would just "disappear" and although the teachers didn't say why, the kids figured it out.

Looking for more recent information, I find these news articles:

Japan Enhances Support for Pregnant High School Girls

Tokyo, April 15 (Jiji Press)--The Japanese education ministry has been enhancing support for pregnant high school girls, as its recent survey showed that 2,098 pregnant students were recognized at public high schools across Japan in fiscal 2015 and 2016.

The ministry recently instructed the education boards of prefectures and major cities to allow pregnant students not to perform in school gym classes if they submit related reports or participate in the classes as observers, officials said.

The ministry also asked the education boards to provide mental health care and other support measures to pregnant students while consulting with them and their parents.

The instructions also called for support for women who quit high school due to pregnancy, such as providing information on measures to cover school fees if they hope to return to school.

A suprapartisan group of lawmakers on the issue of child poverty had urged the government to take measures for pregnant high school girls, given that high school dropouts tend to face difficulties finding jobs.

On the other hand:
High schools told 32 teenage moms to ‘voluntarily drop out’

The education ministry is taking more action after learning that 32 female students at public high schools dropped out due to pregnancy or childbirth after being advised to do so in fiscal 2015 and 2016.

In some cases, schools urged them to drop out despite the fact that students were willing to continue their education or take a leave of absence. There is a concern that some may have ended up leaving school against their will.

The education ministry revealed the findings of the first-ever survey on the relationship between dropouts and pregnancy at Japanese public high schools.

“It is a concern, as being excluded from obtaining a high school education may lead to a cycle of poverty,” said a ministry official in charge of the survey. “We would like to ask schools to stop simply giving recommendations to leave, and instead give consideration for the students' sake.”

The ministry will notify education boards across Japan to give more consideration to the situation of the students.

According to the survey, 2,098 cases of students’ pregnancy or childbirth were recorded by high schools in fiscal 2015 and 2016.

After becoming pregnant, of the total, 371 students at full-time high schools, or 36.9 percent, and 271 students attending part-time schools, or 24.8 percent, left school “voluntarily based on either the students’ or their guardians’ will.”

There were no students who were expelled as a disciplinary measure over their pregnancies. However, 21 from full-time schools and 11 from part-time schools dropped out “voluntarily” after being advised to do so by their schools.

Anyway, it feels to me like a recent development and my waifu probably knows how things were in the olden days.

According to Unicef, Japan has the lowest teen pregnancy fertility rate in the world:
https://www.unicef.org/pon96/inbirth.htm
4 per 1000 (it's 64 in the US, 16 times higher).

Which probably is a reflection of a cultural difference and not just chance. (the pregnancy rate and the fertility rate are not the same thing, so I corrected that)
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:32 am

We will take the obvious inappropriate jokes as "read."

Due to my extensive research [Abusing himself to what we are informed is the genre: "Under-Aged Loli Hentai but without Tentacles, because I'm Not a Sicko Like Anax."--Ed.], in more "serious" to "adult" anime, manga, even a few novels and certainly film, teenage sex happens but is rarely shown to conclude with pregnancy. One reason may be a more open acknowledgment of contraceptives. Japan does not suffer under the Catholic-Protestant "taboos." Anyways, "the kids" may "get their freak on" but the obvious consequences tend to never appear. Granted I am not [Wanking to.--Ed.] watching more adult Japanese television "soaps" or whatever, so as far as I know "Toshi" is knocking up "Tomoko" and "Emiri" all over Japanese airwaves and broadband.

Just not "Yuno." He would be truly fucked in that case.

But . . . to your and your Waifu's point, "kids misbehaving" is often a "trope" that can potentially ruin a life in more serious media. So you have girls bullying other girls by blackmailing them in various ways, because if the school administration realizes that "kids will be kids," they will either expel them or not recommend them to a university. This, of course, is seen as "utter ruin." It has gotten better in that the "ruin" applies to both sexes.

What I mean by that is, say, roughly ten years ago, the "guy" is "in trouble." I am sure you are well aware of the Japanese Original "you must take responsibility!" That is the older trope in some Srsly media: guy gets girl pregnant, he better get married to her, kiss goodbye a good career potentially since he has to work. Few care what happened to "her," because, in the still very sexist culture, she was only going to be a homemaker, right?

That status has, obviously, changed. But, if I am [Wanking.--Ed.] reading the meanings properly, since girls have to fight the for equality in the work-place, opportunity, all of that, "getting pregnant" is just another excuse not to hire her.

In fact, I am aware of only one positive portrayal of a single-mother that does not involve the husband tragically dying defending the Empire against Some Guy in a Lizard Suit: the old "Dark Water" short story which I have blathered about before: forget the Japanese Original movie or the American Freedom remake.

Otherwise, forget it. In fact, one of my favorite horror films is the now old Freeze Me where a professional woman has to hide the fact she was raped as a teen because, you know, that could affect the office! Forget her fiancee leaving her! That will happen, but she will also lose her job!

In other words, the portrayals I see are right out of 1950-60s Freedom where it is the girl's "fault." I suspect that prejudice still exists. I suspect there is a fear that in some way, somehow, a pregnant school girl will infect all of the other girls with . . . the pregnancy.

雨に

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:05 am

Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama with her artwork 'Tentacles', 2012/2015
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:29 am

Someone hose down Anax.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:19 pm

Spoiler:
Common Tinder photos in Japan
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:46 pm

Those people have an interesting take on ... 'pussy'.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:58 am

sparks wrote:Those people have an interesting take on ... 'pussy'.

Indeed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtpPw6RVrt4

--J.D.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:03 pm

I blame lingering radiation from '45.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:36 am

sparks

Postby sparks » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:47 pm

"Ever since I had my lobotomy..."

"Let's go do some crimes."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzi0gjzXCzg

Sorry, couldn't resist going down that rabbit hole. :)

Witness

Postby Witness » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:08 am

Witness

Postby Witness » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:42 am

Japan Is Drinking Less, So Brewers Are Upping Alcohol Content
  • Brewers Kirin, Sapporo market get-drunk-quickly beverages
  • New segments become crucial as domestic beer sales fall off
Details: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/penny-pinching-drinkers-fuel-higher-alcohol-products-in-japan

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:28 am

Witness wrote:
Japan Is Drinking Less, So Brewers Are Upping Alcohol Content
  • Brewers Kirin, Sapporo market get-drunk-quickly beverages
  • New segments become crucial as domestic beer sales fall off
Details: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/penny-pinching-drinkers-fuel-higher-alcohol-products-in-japan

Soon-to-be retiree Shiro Abe is part of the consumer base fueling that growth. The value of the higher alcohol drinks resonates with him. “For an old man, getting drunk cheaply and quickly is very nice," Abe, 58, said in Tokyo after drinks to celebrate his retirement.

Fwiw, I drink "Strong Zero" too, because it's about half the price of beer.
It might be because of taxes. Wish they included more numbers.
RTD beverages have typically been the less expensive choice for drinkers in Japan as they are subject to a lower tax rate than beer.
But what rates are those?

Seems like the taxes are pushing consumers away from beer to the harder stuff. I know it has influenced my consumptions choices. I used to mostly prefer beer, but sho-chu is so much cheaper, and stronger too. It's like a (low-proof) vodka with lemon soda or lime soda or just soda water. Pretty good actually. Not for fancy taste buds like single-malt whisky, just something that's easy to drink and cheap.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:23 am

While I'm complaining that some of the beers I like are too alcohol-loaded! :P

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:01 pm

Ninja Bikini!

Sorry Anax, 触手がない

--J.D.

Return to “Banter”