Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: Japan

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:59 am

Witness wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:10 am
An American Tourist’s Photos Of Japan In 1908

In 1908 German-born American Arnold Genthe (1869-1942) was on a 6-month visit to Japan. Armed with his camera, Genthe recorded life during the Meiji period. Just two years earlier, Genthe’s studio in San Francisco (opened in 1898) was destroyed in the huge earthquake and fire of 1906. Genthe, who surveyed the ruins with the actress Sarah Bernhard, had secured his photos in a bank vault, which meant that they survived the carnage. He rebuilt his studio and then made his trip out east.

For the rest (lots of pics): https://flashbak.com/an-american-touris ... 08-364926/
A lot of babies and young children. Back in those days women in Japan had about 5 kids on average.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demograph ... 74_to_1950
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:33 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:22 pm
See me when you get through the fourth episode.

--J.D.
It's an interesting story and mystery but I don't know if I can make it through all the usual anime tropes I dislike.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:03 pm

Such as?

I will warn you, it is not a "harem anime."

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:13 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:03 pm
Such as?

I will warn you, it is not a "harem anime."

--J.D.
The animation getting all "kawaii" at certain points in each episode. It's like everything is Little Pony all of a sudden, and then back to "normal".

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:45 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:13 pm
The animation getting all "kawaii" at certain points in each episode. It's like everything is Little Pony all of a sudden, and then back to "normal".
There is actually a point to it which is why I recommended getting through the first four, though I would think the opening scene would suggest that it is anything but "kawaii." It reminds me of an odd series someone recommended where the creators purposely presented the first two episodes such that My Little Pony looks like Anax's Tentacle Hentai . . . and then the third episode. Like Higurashi, the very opening titles should have warned viewers: it is not like "Princess Sparkhoofs" cries tears of blood after dismembering "Sparkle Sparkly Sparklename."

I only discovered it seeing a scene far later in the series and wondered "the . . . fuck?!" As with all anime--and the source material--it was created for teens to young adults unless you are into Anax's "materials."

But there are series "well beloved"--such as one Anax temporarily recommended for which I shall pursue him relentlessly into the bowels of perdition [Your Mom?--Ed.] Stop it!--which I found progressively unwatchable--as did he! There is another also very popular "suppose to be" adult which I began to Hate Watch like True Detective II since I assumed I was missing "something."

I was not.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:50 pm

["Poof!"--Ed.]
Last edited by Doctor X on Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:21 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:50 pm
Grammatron wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:13 pm
There is actually a point to it which is why I recommended getting through the first four, though I would think the opening scene would suggest that it is anything but "kawaii." I had a similar reaction during the first episode though the opening stuck in my mind.

It reminds me of an odd series someone recommended where the creators purposely presented the first two episodes such that My Little Pony looks like Anax's Tentacle Hentai . . . and then the third episode. Like Higurashi, the very opening titles should have warned viewers: it is not like "Princess Sparkhoofs" cries tears of blood after dismembering "Sparkle Sparkly Sparklename" over baritones moaning how "Friendship is Tragic!"

I only discovered it seeing a scene far later in the series and wondered "the . . . fuck?!" As with all anime--and the source material--it was created for teens to young adults unless you are into Anax's "materials."

But there are series "well beloved" that I simply do not enjoy/get--such as one Anax temporarily recommended [A Certain Scientific Railgun--Ed.] for which I shall pursue him relentlessly into the bowels of perdition [Your Mom?--Ed.] Stop it!--which I found progressively unwatchable--as did he! There is another also very popular "suppose to be" adult [Akame Ga Kill--Ed.] which I began to Hate Watch like True Detective II since I assumed I was missing "something" and "it will get better," and I still feel dirty about it.

Not "dirty" like Your Mom, but everyone is a critic.

--J.D.
Double Postin' aside...

I did watch 4 episode, 5 actually because the ending in the 4th seemed a tad abrupt half way through the 1st season. I found that very intriguing. But then there's so much sugary, cuteness overload that I feel like I am struggling through it for the fun and interesting stuff.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:28 pm

There are some issues with the forum.

That was my reaction with the fourth episode . . . mainly a "wait . . . they are all . . . dead?" with 3/4th of the series still going on. The second set of episodes--and the set that explains it--are two of my favorites. The level of insanity and tragedy "goes to 11."

But if it is not your cup of vodka, it is not your cup of vodka. This is why I never "officially recommended it" in a thread or anything. I assume you are watching the subtitled, because if not you will miss a lot of the "what is actually going on" clues.

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:56 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:28 pm
There are some issues with the forum.

That was my reaction with the fourth episode . . . mainly a "wait . . . they are all . . . dead?" with 3/4th of the series still going on. The second set of episodes--and the set that explains it--are two of my favorites. The level of insanity and tragedy "goes to 11."

But if it is not your cup of vodka, it is not your cup of vodka. This is why I never "officially recommended it" in a thread or anything. I assume you are watching the subtitled, because if not you will miss a lot of the "what is actually going on" clues.

--J.D.
I was hoping for a Paranoia Agent vibe but this obviously completely different. I'll finish season 1 before I make a full judgement. It feels like not my cup of vodka; it feels like I am suffering through gin and all of a sudden I am tasting fine Scotch so I want to keep drinking for that taste.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:16 pm

Oddly enough, though I enjoyed Paranoia Agent, I was disappointed since it did not really hang together--and it had its chibi moments. I like there to be some logic even if the logic is absurd. It was constructed from ideas the late-great director had from Paprika . . . which also ended unrealistically.

These are based on novels with all sorts of tips and interconnections. They do a decent job condensing the material. They did not with his other series.

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:33 pm

Paprika was very cool visually but the story was ultimately meh. But I did enjoy watching it.

I do agree that the world can be absurd as long as there is consistent logic to it. I've recently watched Cromartie High School and that's a whole lot of nonsense, but enjoyable.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:45 pm

Yeah, his was a visually stunning director, and I think he got too into the visuals rather than the actual plot. The ending made no sense.

I had not heard of Cromartie High School; I will have to check it out.

Tentacles?

I am asking for a friend Anax. . . .

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:56 pm

Sorry Anax, no tenticles

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:13 pm

No tentacles? :(
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:38 pm

--J.D.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:58 pm

Notably, all these gals with amazing super powers are Gringos.

What's up with that? :lmao:

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:20 pm

Keijo was surprisingly fun and not terrible.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:37 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:30 am

↑ Nice! One of the things I noticed in Amsterdam was lots of restaurants advertising their dishes on backlighted panels. Poor quality of the photographs (and/or the models) made that everything looked like unidentifiable lumps in variously colored – but mostly greenish – gravy. :(

Back to Japan:
In Japan, there's a newspaper by people who couldn't leave their homes

Up a narrow flight of stairs in northwest Tokyo is a cafe where 10 people sit around a table. For some of them, it's the first time they've been out of the house in weeks.

They’re here for an editorial meeting of the “Hikikomori Shimbun,” a newspaper written by “shut-ins” about their experience. Hikikomori are defined as reclusive people who haven’t left their homes or interacted with anyone for at least six months. Naohiro Kimura, the editor of the paper, is a tall, soft-spoken 33 year old who hardly left his house for 10 years.

“It was a very painful period. It wasn’t just that I was sad," he says. "There was this deep loneliness that made me feel I was getting sicker and sicker.”

It began as Kimura prepared for the law school entrance exam. Months, then years, went by. Even as his peers got jobs and moved on, he couldn't bring himself to take the test. Embarrassed, he stayed inside, leaving only to buy food, and unwilling to concede he needed help.

“It's a society that's not very accepting of mistakes, so if people do make a mistake, they become ashamed and basically retreat to their home,” Kimura says.
Rest of the article: https://www.pri.org/stories/2018-04-19/ ... heir-homes

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:23 am

A song from a lovely little video game called Boku no Natsuyasumi (my summer vacation)

It's a cover of a song by Inoue Yosui called Shonen Jidai. But I actually first encountered this version when playing the game many years ago.
William Shakespeare