Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: Japan

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:27 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:22 pm
Damn!

I was trying to get you to slip and admit you read it. :BigGrin3:

Serious question: Is a Roman alphabet title a common stylistic choice?
For magazines, absolutely. I would say that probably at least half of Japanese language magazines have titles that use Roman letters.

And that particular magazine comes wrapped in plastic, so you can't thumb through it and put it back on the rack. You have to buy it to see what's inside.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:51 am

They tend to wrap them all to prevent "library."

It makes checking out a series rather difficult. I mean, for all you know, that title is devoted to the proper care of Alstroemeria psittacina.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:11 pm

Japan considers doubling number of refugees to 60 starting in 2020
Japan Times
Japan will consider accepting more Asian refugees from 2020, with an eye to doubling the current annual ceiling of about 30 to strengthen its response to regional humanitarian needs, government sources said Monday.

The government will review its current policy of receiving refugees only from Myanmar under the third-country resettlement program led by the UNHCR, the United Nations refugee agency, while promoting their settlement not only in Tokyo and surrounding areas but in other parts of the country, according to the sources.

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:13 pm

Wow. Apparently the US accepted about 20,000 refugees in FY2018, which is actually a big drop from previous years (50,000 in 2017 and 84,000 in 2016 for example).

30 refugees per year is like nothing. 60 is still nothing. A thousandth of what the US accepts each year.

For extra hilarity the article mentions:
As for the settlement locations, the government decided in May last year to encourage refugees to live in rural areas that are facing a decline in population.
Yeah, sure like an extra 30 or 60 people per year is going to make a difference for rural areas with declining populations. Japan had a net population decline of almost 400,000 last year. And that number will increase for the foreseeable future until some sort of new equilibrium is reached many decades from now probably, if at all.
The move comes as the government plans to accept more foreign workers by setting up a new residence status for those working in sectors deemed to be short of labor, such as nursing and construction, as the country struggles with a rapidly graying population and low birth rate.

On Monday, the ruling Liberal Democratic Party’s Judicial Affairs Division kicked off discussions on a draft government bill to amend the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act, the main pillar of which is the introduction of the new residence status.

But some members of the LDP division expressed caution over the new status, pointing to a possible deterioration in public safety resulting from an increase in the number of foreigners in the country.

Shigeharu Aoyama, an Upper House member, said he absolutely opposes the law revision, stressing that the employment of Japanese people should be increased first to solve the nation’s labor shortages.
That too is hilarious. The unemployment rate is 2.4% and there's 160 job openings for every 100 unemployed people. Anyone capable of working who wants a job can find something. More people want to hire than want to be hired.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:20 pm

Didn't know where to post this, this seems like good place as any.

I'm reading this Manga, Golden Kamuy (ゴールデンカムイ), it's very good and I would definetly recommended. But, not why I am posting.

The story takes place in early 1900's, close to 1910's and most of the characters have come from Russo-Japanese war. There's a part where some of them are discussing the current situation in Russia (the brewing revolution), which brings me to my question.

As you can see from above, the translation is "Jewish Communist Party." Does it say that in Japanese? And if it does say that in Japanese, is that how common Japanese view(or viewed) the Communisty party in early 1900's Russia?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:05 pm

I would say that appears to be a reasonably accurate translation of the Japanese.

Was Lenin a Jew? Were the Bolsheviks mainly led by Jews?
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:13 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:05 pm
I would say that appears to be a reasonably accurate translation of the Japanese.

Was Lenin a Jew? Were the Bolsheviks mainly led by Jews?
Thank you for the translation, I appreciate it.

Lenin was not Jewish. In fact there's a antisemitic notion of "Jewish Communism":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Bolshevism

I'm surprised to find this in a Manga.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:32 pm

Ah, so this is basically some propaganda that originated from the White Russians, and was adopted by the Nazis.

Trotsky was in fact a Jew, and a lot of the propaganda posters featured him, looking like some kind of Jewish devil.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:48 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:32 pm
Ah, so this is basically some propaganda that originated from the White Russians, and was adopted by the Nazis.

Trotsky was in fact a Jew, and a lot of the propaganda posters featured him, looking like some kind of Jewish devil.
The notion of "Jewish Communism" did not arise until after the revolution, so I don't think it was adopted by Nazis; in fact they likely created this concept along with other antisemitic propaganda.

I guess what I am curious is where the author got the idea to call it "Jewish Communism" instead of simply "Communism" but that may be a question for him. Unless it's a common way in Japan to describe the early, pre-Soviet Communist party.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:05 am

Grammatron wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:48 pm
The notion of "Jewish Communism" did not arise until after the revolution, so I don't think it was adopted by Nazis; in fact they likely created this concept along with other antisemitic propaganda.
The Wiki article you linked to says so right at the start:
In 1917, after the October revolution, the catchword was the title of the pamphlet, The Jewish Bolshevism, which featured in the racist propaganda of the anti-communist White movement forces during the Russian Civil War (1918–22). The Nazi Party in Germany and the German-American Bund in the United States propagated the anti-Semitic theory to their followers, sympathisers, and fellow travellers during the 1930s.
Yet the interesting point is of course to find the association J/C in a present-day manga. Anax?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:10 am

It is curious and I'm not sure what the explanation is. Perhaps this is a mistaken belief of the author? Perhaps this is a common belief in Japan? I don't really know. Or maybe that's only the belief of that particular fictional character and not the belief of the author?

I will note that with Wikipedia articles on the left side you can see a list of other languages for the same subject in a different language, but there doesn't appear to be a Japanese language article about "Jewish Communism".

Doing a google search on ユダヤ系の共産党 ("Jewish Communist Party," exactly as it appears in that manga) yields some disturbing results though.

This is the top hit:

http://inri.client.jp/hexagon/floorA6F_he/a6fhe805.html

Something about an old Jewish man apologizing for starting the Communist Party in Japan. :?

Second hit:

https://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/q ... 3153910758

Appears to be someone asking a question "Is it true that the idea of communism was created by Jews?"

The answerers appear to agree. "Yes. Marx was a Jew."

So I haven't really done careful research on the subject but a quick google search suggests that this might be a common belief in Japan.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:31 am

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:20 am

From last year:
Library of Congress Makes Over 2,500 Japanese Woodblock Prints Digitally Accessible

As a part of the Library of Congress‘ latest and largest digitization project, the esteemed institution has published over 2,500 reproductions of Japanese woodblock prints. Available for free on the Library of Congress’ website, each beautiful work of Japanese art can be accessed, viewed, and downloaded with the click of a mouse.

Like all of the institution’s digital reproductions, this series has been curated into a collection based on culture and chronology. Fine Prints: Japanese, Pre-1915 includes nearly 2,700 Japanese woodblock prints and traditional drawings produced between the 17th and 20th centuries. This rich selection of Japanese art highlights the country’s predominant print traditions—Ukiyo-e (“Pictures of the floating world”) and Yokohama-e (“Pictures of Yokohama”)—and features masterworks from prolific printmakers, including Hiroshige, Hokusai, Kuniyoshi, Sadahide, and Yoshiiku.
https://mymodernmet.com/library-of-cong ... ck-prints/ (links on that page)

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:45 pm

The Japanese original. :BigGrin3:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:24 pm

Looks Korean to me.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:43 pm

I guess the Sailor Moon outfits threw me off.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:38 pm

Freed Japanese hostage Jumpei Yasuda arrives home to joy, but also anger

Japanese journalist Jumpei Yasuda, freed from Syria this week, arrived home to overjoyed relatives and supporters, but also to vitriol from some who accuse him and other hostages of reckless behavior.

Yasuda was kidnapped in Syria in 2015 and spent more than three years in conditions he has described as “hell.”

He arrived back in Japan on Thursday night, greeted by his delighted wife and parents who brought him homemade Japanese food to celebrate.

But even before Yasuda set foot on Japanese soil, he was the target of angry criticism — mostly online — ranging from accusations of recklessness to claims that he was not even Japanese. “He is disturbing society,” wrote one Twitter user. “He’s an anti-citizen,” charged another.
[…]
The anger directed at Yasuda — who has authored books on the conflicts in Syria and Iraq, and whose reporting has appeared on Japanese television — is a far cry from the reception that journalists held hostage have received in other countries upon their release.
[…]
But in Japan freed hostages often meet a mixed reception, with critics suggesting victims were responsible for getting themselves kidnapped.

“They are the victims; they haven’t broken the law, but they have to apologize. It’s strange, but it’s the mentality of a part of Japanese society,” said Toshiro Terada, a professor of philosophy at Sophia University in Tokyo. “The person is accused of having harmed society.”

In one of the more shocking examples of the reaction, three Japanese people — two men and a woman — held hostage in Iraq and freed in 2004 arrived home to find people at the airport holding up banners reading “It’s your fault.”

Their kidnappers had threatened to burn them alive if Tokyo failed to withdraw non-combat troops stationed in southern Iraq.

But then-Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi refused the demands, and even declined to meet with the families of the hostages — a hard-line position that was applauded in some quarters of Japanese society. The government itself, supported by right-wing media, described them as “irresponsible youths” for having ignored warnings to avoid travel to Iraq, which was then an active war zone.

One of the men, Noriaki Imai, said recently he received letters saying “die” or that called him “stupid.”

“Online, the bashing lasted 10 years,” he said.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/ ... 9uNGXAo9GM

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:02 pm

More here:

https://dailyportalz.jp/kiji/jimi-halloween-2018
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:16 pm

I think I would translate 地味 (jimi) as "bland" rather than "sober". It means the opposite of flashy or blingy and is an adjective usually applied to clothes. "Bland Halloween"
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:49 pm

But is the Japanese Halloween usually marked by public drunkenness?
As it might be Saint Patrick's in the USA?