Thought Provoking Graphs

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Thought Provoking Graphs

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:30 am

First thought is what's with South Dakota?

Then I look up the population of South Dakota.

18.0 per million is fewer than 18 people.

My guess is bad luck in one small town.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:48 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:30 am
First thought is what's with South Dakota?

Then I look up the population of South Dakota.

18.0 per million is fewer than 18 people.

My guess is bad luck in one small town.
I think it has to do with the climate. The flu thrives in the winter, and Florida doesn't have much of a winter. But South Dakota does.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:07 am

They, too, avoid Florida…

robinson
Title: Be good to each other

Post by robinson » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:45 am

How and when this domestication happened has been a matter of speculation. It was thought until very recently that dogs were wild until about 12,000 years ago. But DNA analysis published in 1997 suggests a date of about 130,000 years ago for the transformation of wolves to dogs. This means that wolves began to adapt to human society long before humans settled down and began practicing agriculture.

This earlier timing casts doubt on the long-held myth that humans domesticated dogs to serve as guards or companions to assist them. Rather, say some experts, dogs may have exploited a niche they discovered in early human society and got humans to take them in out of the cold.

petbeings.com/index.php/blog/blogdetails/24/Evolution-of-WOLF-into-DOGS
You never know what's going to happen

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:54 pm

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:12 pm

Does 100 bucks really feed you for 35 days in Thiruvananthapuram, india? Or does it just take a grubhub driver 35 days to enter Thiruvananthapuram in their GPS?

shemp
Title: gnat

Post by shemp » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:37 am

You can live for a year on $100 of cheap rice if you supplement it with weeds, insects and whatever you can catch or shoot. Dumpster diving is free too. This is how ed lives down in the swamp.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:04 am

I have many quibbles with that "food map".

For one, what you can buy with $ 100 depends very much on your lifestyle. To be specific: meat is mostly expensive, so you could largely avoid/restrain that (as do many parts of the world); vegetables often come in two forms, super-clean calibrated and prepackaged (expensive) or slightly less nice and in bulk (cheap); ditto for cheese, even pasta and rice. Choose the "low life" and you'll last at least twice as long.

But mostly I find the graphic meaningless. It looks like some bimodal probability distribution, but isn't. The (apparent) bimodality results from over-representation of North American (mostly) and European cities, so you have that big spike and a good part of the flat gaussian. The rest of the world? An afterthought.

Meaning could be restored by weighting by population (small Switzerland alone has six cities in the graphic) and comparing just NAm and Europe. Unsurprisingly one would find Europe more diverse. The whole world? Loooooooots of work…

Otherwise I see no honest way to present the data, apart from a boring ordered list of cities.