My OCD

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

My OCD

Post by Bruce » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:51 pm

[youtube]tnzz-eFmKaw[/youtube]
Taking a huge bite from the side of a roll of bubblegum tape is just plain rude, but opening a potato chip bag from the bottom and taking a pill from the middle of a blister pack is grounds for justifiable homicide. :x

I knew what the guy was going to say at the end before he said it.
Spoiler:
Just imagine being left alone in a room and given all the time you need to "make things right". Pure bliss. :D
I'm part of several focus groups at work in which I am the only member. :roll:
Such potential!

Nyarlathotep

Re: My OCD

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:26 pm

My biggest OCD thing involves cartons of eggs. If I use eggs from a carton, I have to arrange the rest of the carton in such a way that they are symmetrical. If I use two eggs out of a dozen, they have to be taken diagonally opposite from the middle. If I use more eggs and have four eggs left, they have to be in the corners. If I have two eggs left they have to be at diagonally opposite corners, that sort of thing. Using an odd number of eggs just throws me right the hell off.

Its not even a visual thing either, its the weight. If I grab the carton out of the fridge and one side weighs more, that bothers the hell out of me.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

jacks
Title: double dipshit

Post by jacks » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:16 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:My biggest OCD thing involves cartons of eggs. If I use eggs from a carton, I have to arrange the rest of the carton in such a way that they are symmetrical. If I use two eggs out of a dozen, they have to be taken diagonally opposite from the middle. If I use more eggs and have four eggs left, they have to be in the corners. If I have two eggs left they have to be at diagonally opposite corners, that sort of thing. Using an odd number of eggs just throws me right the hell off.

Its not even a visual thing either, its the weight. If I grab the carton out of the fridge and one side weighs more, that bothers the hell out of me.

same problem here.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:45 pm

I have Time OCD. Certain things should take exact amounts of time.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:16 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:My biggest OCD thing involves cartons of eggs. If I use eggs from a carton, I have to arrange the rest of the carton in such a way that they are symmetrical. If I use two eggs out of a dozen, they have to be taken diagonally opposite from the middle. If I use more eggs and have four eggs left, they have to be in the corners. If I have two eggs left they have to be at diagonally opposite corners, that sort of thing. Using an odd number of eggs just throws me right the hell off.

This is why I never invite people over. :x

Eggs are taken from one side of the carton. The empty spaces face the front of the fridge so that when you pick up the carton, all the weight faces the back of the fridge. [stamps foot on ground] :x :x

Agreed about one thing. Using an odd number of eggs earns you a night in the garage. :)

If you place the carton in the fridge at the wrong angle, you don't belong on this earth.

-- Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:22 pm --

Speaking of angles, I am extremely OCD about angles and linearity.

Yesterday, my boss invited the group to lunch. We were seated at a row of tables. The table at which I was seated was at an 87 degree angle to the bench. I corrected it immediately before anyone sat down. And then it immediately became clear that the table at which I was seated was 3/4" shorter on all sides and 1/4" shorter to the ground than the neighboring tables.

:HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2:

There was a Home Depot across the street. I was fighting the urge to go build and appropriate table. I don't even remember what I ate......or if I ate. :cry:
Such potential!

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:34 pm

When making coffee, the time it takes to fill up the pot that will be used to fill the reservoir should be exactly the time it takes to fill the filter with three tablespoons of ground coffee. If it is not--if you're too slow or too fast--you must start over.

That is the fucking coffee rule.

The entire process from the time you touch the coffee maker until the time you push the brew button should take--must take--exactly one minute. Any longer or shorter and the whole fucking day is shot all to hell.

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:05 pm

Wait, start over as in chuck the unused grounds?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:14 am

I have many but the worst is going swimming. I must, absolutely must swim exactly 30 x 50 metre lengths.

And my memory isn't great, so I spend the entire time I'm there worrying about forgetting how many lengths I've swum.

And the bastards at the pool make it even worse 60% of the time by dividing the pool into two sections so I have to keep track of 100 lengths.

It's fucking stressful.

And fucking stupid, because 1500 metres is only approximately a mile, the distance I aim to swim.

I need to wise the fuck up.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:27 am

Bruce wrote: Eggs are taken from one side of the carton. The empty spaces face the front of the fridge so that when you pick up the carton, all the weight faces the back of the fridge. [stamps foot on ground]
If somebody fucks up my egg carton and leaves the heavy end toward the back, that's the worst of all, and, well...

jacks

Post by jacks » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:00 am

I don't often buy a loaf of bread, but when I do, white or wheat the crust and following three slices must be past over, I eat the fifth slice on until I
reach the other ends remaining three slices and crust, the six slices and two crust then get fed to the birds.
This does not apply to Pechter's rye or pumpernickel.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:03 am

When I make tacos, the fillings must be put in the shell in EXACTLY this order

refried beans (if any)
meat
taco sauce
Sour cream
cheese
lettuce
tomatoes

Any other order is unacceptable.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:53 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:When I make tacos, the fillings must be put in the shell in EXACTLY this order

refried beans (if any)
meat
taco sauce
Sour cream
cheese
lettuce
tomatoes

Any other order is unacceptable.
I'm not a religious man, except when it comes to making tacos. This is indeed the most sacred of rituals.

Corn tortilla (very briefly fried in oil, just enough to make it flexible)
Sour cream (glue to hold the lettuce in place)
lettuce (barrier to keep the meat juices and sauce from contaminating the tortilla)
meat (lean ground beef)
taco sauce (hot and spicy)
cheese (shredded colby)

Do what you want with your tacos. I'm busy.

And of course, if we're missing one of the sacred ingredients, then we're not having tacos. Duh.
Such potential!

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:59 am

When wiping my arse, five sheets paper must be folded in a precise zigzag with the sixth folded over them to make a secure wad.

Mrs. Camel thinks this is hilarious.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:08 am

asthmatic camel wrote:When wiping my arse, five sheets paper must be folded in a precise zigzag with the sixth folded over them to make a secure wad.

Mrs. Camel thinks this is hilarious.
Secure wad? :|

1. Toilet paper extended from knees to floor.
2. Fold in half repeatedly until the rectangle is no less than the width of my hand.
3. Wipe once.
4. Inspect. If shit still present, repeat 1-4.
5. Flush on every third wipe. Any more will clog the toilet. Still yelling at my kids over this one.
6. And for your information, there's only one way to hang the roll.....

Gave up on the over/under argument a long time ago. :wink:
Such potential!

jacks

Post by jacks » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:37 pm

OH! if I shake hands I must wash my hands immediately!!!!!!!!!

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:40 pm

gnome wrote:Wait, start over as in chuck the unused grounds?
It depends. If the grounds bucket was wet before I put in the new grounds, I have to dump it in the trash, wash the bucket, and start over. If it was dry I feel okay (not great) about dumping it back into the coffee can. Reset. Restart the mental clock and try again. It is rare that I have to do that more than twice.

I know. Weird. Yet I survive.

It is not a life-threatening issue.

grayman

Post by grayman » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:43 am

Road maps and aeronautical charts must be folded properly.

Newspapers I've read need to be refolded with each section and insert placed back in order.

Books and magazines cannot be put away with dog-eared pages.

Any cash in my wallet is right side up, all facing same direction, in order of denomination.
You will be electroplated. Resistance is potential divided by current! - Dr. Matt

Cogito, ergo Deus non est.

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:53 am

Dunno if it's in the OCD category, but I noticed two things when living with one or another lady (so it's kind of "universal"):
– they prefer loosely fitting lids on jars, especially in the fridge; I prefer grabbing said jars by the lid, and then…
– about every 6 months they develop an urge to move the furniture around. I coulden't care less, save on one point: if I have to take a leak at night, I scamper along in the dark, still nearly asleep, till I reach the loo. In unknown territory that gets me straight into a wall (if the bed was moved), or brings my shins against some sharp angle. Image

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:57 am

Rob Lister wrote:
gnome wrote:Wait, start over as in chuck the unused grounds?
It depends. If the grounds bucket was wet before I put in the new grounds, I have to dump it in the trash, wash the bucket, and start over. If it was dry I feel okay (not great) about dumping it back into the coffee can. Reset. Restart the mental clock and try again. It is rare that I have to do that more than twice.

I know. Weird. Yet I survive.

It is not a life-threatening issue.
Interesting. I'm trying to think if I have anything like that. If it is, it's so automatic I don't notice it, or it's of minor impact. But it seems possible I could.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:02 am

When I eat M&Ms I always do one of two things

1) If there is a table handy, I sort them by color first and eat all of one color, then all of another, and so on

or

2) If there is no table handy, I dump a handful into my hand then pick out all of one color, eat them, all of another and so on.

I do the same with any other candy that has different colors mixed together (skittles, jelly beans, etc) but at least with those I can excuse it with it being because the different colors signify different flavors. I have no idea why I insist on it with M&Ms, as I know that the colors are meaningless