My OCD

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Re: My OCD

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:15 am

Witness wrote:Dunno if it's in the OCD category, but I noticed two things when living with one or another lady (so it's kind of "universal"):
– they prefer loosely fitting lids on jars, especially in the fridge; I prefer grabbing said jars by the lid, and then…
– about every 6 months they develop an urge to move the furniture around. I coulden't care less, save on one point: if I have to take a leak at night, I scamper along in the dark, still nearly asleep, till I reach the loo. In unknown territory that gets me straight into a wall (if the bed was moved), or brings my shins against some sharp angle. Image
Witness, I can sympathise. I don't think Mrs. Camel is capable of fitting a jar lid properly, which has the dismal consequences you experience, nor is she capable of tightening the cap on any bottle of carbonated drink. Carbonated drink which is mine, which she opens, takes one sip from and leaves to go flat. Outside the fridge.

I have never known her to have the urge to move furniture. She does, however, have an urge to leave shoes, many, many shoes, sometimes in pairs, sometimes not but always matching the surface upon which they are left, absolutely fucking everywhere. But mostly wherever it is that I'm likely to be walking.

I have scars.

Lots.

:(
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Post by Bruce » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:18 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:When I eat M&Ms I always do one of two things
I have no OCD when it comes to sorting colors or sizes.

I like to hold M&Ms under my tongue until my mouth heat causes the center to melt. The candy shell holds its shape. After the center has melted, I squish it with my tongue for a burst of liquid chocolatey flavor.

One of those tiny pleasures I learned as a kid. :)
Such potential!

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:29 am

The closest I have to an OCD--

I will not move to my Kindle or MP3 player a title or track that isn't fully tagged. I have all kinds of self-developed rules about what the cover image must be or what album should be attributed to the track.

It is the worst with compilation albums. If any of the tracks were released first on another album, I have the urge to tag it with the previous album title, track, year, and cover. This makes transferring "greatest hits" collections quite a chore. I've learned to relax that rule a little bit for my own sanity.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:36 am

I'm trying to decide which OCD to choose for 1915.

!914's was buying air guns.

Which was fun.

But is now boring.

What should I pick?
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:45 am

Except for what jacks said about washing his hands after shaking hands, are these things really "OCD"?

Wouldn't anyone be annoyed by someone taking a big bite out of the side of a pack of bubblegum tape (unless it's your bubblegum tape, in which case I don't really care how you treat your stuff).
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Post by Bruce » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:39 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Except for what jacks said about washing his hands after shaking hands, are these things really "OCD"?

Wouldn't anyone be annoyed by someone taking a big bite out of the side of a pack of bubblegum tape (unless it's your bubblegum tape, in which case I don't really care how you treat your stuff).
You're missing the point.

Someone with OCD would be bothered by the lack of symmetry left lying there. Most would simply close the case so they wouldn't have to look at it. I could picture an extreme OCD pealing off the outer layers, rolling them up, and arranging the rolls in order of increasing size. At the end of the video, the guy appears to have patched the empty space in the roll with chewed gum (gross).

I don't really consider it a disorder unless you really can't control it, as in you have a pants-pissing Rain Main sort of melt down if your obsession isn't satisfied.

I feel stressed when I see things out of place, but I can turn my attention elsewhere to relieve it. When order is restored, my brain rewards me with a tiny squirt of dopamine. Mmmm, dopamine! :drool: Wish I could make a pie out of dopamine.

My wife and kids have a disorder in which they are incapable of f****** closing cabinets and drawers. Every time I go into the kitchen, just about every drawer and cabinet is wide open. We also have a "Lazy Susan".
I figure its called that because Susan was too lazy to close the damn thing.

Every time I pass through the kitchen, I close all the cabinets and drawers. Every.....damn.....time. Of course I get after them, and yell at them to close the cabinets and drawers themselves, but if I'm not there to do that, they won't, ever. It's as if they see it as my job.

I like seeing symmetry and order in things. When my wife and kids occupy an area, they clutter it up. It's a true yin-yang sort of relationship. As soon as they see a nice, clean table, they must pile crap onto it. Sometimes the wife takes them shopping and I immediately go to work cleaning up the place. I never have enough time to clean everything, so I usually focus on one room.

I'll never forget one time when the wife took the kids to visit some of her family in Australia for a month. It took two weeks, but I got the whole house clean. I was high as a kite on dopamine. It was awesome. I could actually leave the house for work and come home at the end of the day to a clean and orderly house, just the way I left it. For two whole weeks, I actually felt good after opening my front door.
Al Bundy used to pause and take a deep breath before opening his front door. That's me.
There's a reason why we don't keep an axe in the kitchen.

[youtube]7wJX1Atch1k[/youtube]
Such potential!

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:04 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:I'm trying to decide which OCD to choose for 1915.

[…]

What should I pick?
Upgrading your fag-o-cycle?

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:37 am

esqueleto

Post by esqueleto » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:55 am

jacks wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:My biggest OCD thing involves cartons of eggs. If I use eggs from a carton, I have to arrange the rest of the carton in such a way that they are symmetrical. If I use two eggs out of a dozen, they have to be taken diagonally opposite from the middle. If I use more eggs and have four eggs left, they have to be in the corners. If I have two eggs left they have to be at diagonally opposite corners, that sort of thing. Using an odd number of eggs just throws me right the hell off.

Its not even a visual thing either, its the weight. If I grab the carton out of the fridge and one side weighs more, that bothers the hell out of me.

same problem here.
We should start a support group.
Assassination is the extreme form of censorship.
- George Bernard Shaw

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:23 am

asthmatic camel wrote:I'm trying to decide which OCD to choose for 1915.

!914's was buying air guns.

Which was fun.

But is now boring.

What should I pick?
Here's a fag-o-cycle to impress your buddies when you arrive at the pub:

scarlett_35

Post by scarlett_35 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:07 pm

jacks wrote:I don't often buy a loaf of bread, but when I do, white or wheat the crust and following three slices must be past over, I eat the fifth slice on until I
reach the other ends remaining three slices and crust, the six slices and two crust then get fed to the birds.
This does not apply to Pechter's rye or pumpernickel.
I was going to say that I am the extreme opposite of OCD, my pictures aren't straight, my eggs are all over the place (sometimes I even put the empty egg shell back into the carton), I don't even like to do a certain number of anything all the time, I "might" do a certain number of push ups just to see how many I can do but then the next time, it's a random number if there is even a next time, and pretty much nothing is in any particular order, my Christmas tree would probably make an OCD person go crazy haha BUT...on that note, I do skip the first piece of bread when I do buy bread, which isn't often. I've always done that but I think it's more because I don't like the first piece with all the crust, not really because I have OCD

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:57 am

A minor one of mine...

When I am getting coffee, I always use two stirrers if I can. It doesn't seem to matter if they are the little microstraw sized or the flat sturdy ones from Starbucks. Always two, or it doesn't feel right. It doesn't ruin the experience, but it always seems a little off otherwise.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:45 pm

Let's face it.

You people are all freaks.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go get my laser level and fix all the pictures in the office so I can get some work done.

scarlett_35

Post by scarlett_35 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:02 pm

gnome wrote:A minor one of mine...

When I am getting coffee, I always use two stirrers if I can. It doesn't seem to matter if they are the little microstraw sized or the flat sturdy ones from Starbucks. Always two, or it doesn't feel right. It doesn't ruin the experience, but it always seems a little off otherwise.
hmm I do that too, I feel like it takes two to stir it properly, if I can use a straw I just use that instead, a drinking straw not that worthless coffee straw shit.

I don't think that's an ocd thing

There is a friend on my fb who always deletes stuff on his wall, so I finally asked him why, he said he's probably OCD it bothers him to have his wall cluttered

grayman

Post by grayman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:38 am

scarlett_35 wrote:

hmm I do that too, I feel like it takes two to stir it properly, if I can use a straw I just use that instead, a drinking straw not that worthless coffee straw shit.
Ewww. You put a foreign object in your coffee? :shock:
You will be electroplated. Resistance is potential divided by current! - Dr. Matt

Cogito, ergo Deus non est.

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:20 am

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:26 am

scarlett_35 wrote:

I don't think that's an ocd thing

There is a friend on my fb who always deletes stuff on his wall, so I finally asked him why, he said he's probably OCD it bothers him to have his wall cluttered
If it were just about effective stirring, the flat, sturdy ones from Starbucks should be just fine singly--one of those is surely a better stir than even two of the straw kind. But somehow it still just doesn't feel right and so I classify it as irrational.
--Soldier, TF2

scarlett_35

Post by scarlett_35 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:59 pm

Witness wrote:Image

TOTALLY does not bother me, in fact I kind of like it :)

I agree gnome, you are irrational with your stirring.

Are you referring to the stir sticks gray or the sugar as being foreign?

grayman

Post by grayman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:30 pm

scarlett_35 wrote:
Are you referring to the stir sticks gray or the sugar as being foreign?
Either.

Actually, I add cream to my cup (don't care for sugar in my beverages), and it blends well enough as I pour coffee.

But that's just me. Image
You will be electroplated. Resistance is potential divided by current! - Dr. Matt

Cogito, ergo Deus non est.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:44 pm

Interesting. Do you worry about the machine that brewed it, the carafe that poured it, the cup itself? Those are also foreign objects touching the coffee.

Not making fun. The specifics can be interesting.
--Soldier, TF2