'Murica

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: 'Murica

Post by Witness » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:01 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:10 pm
Shouldn't that last one be in "the past is a foreign country"?
Sometimes there are overlaps in the categories of a classification. I tend to go for the most parsimonious (when it suits me):

Murica
  • the past
rather than:

The past
  • Albania
  • Murica
  • Zimbabwe
What's more, the document is very Murican: KKK, good and bad N..., anti-communism, all in Alabama. So much so that I checked it wasn't a parody.

Happy now? :)

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:45 am

xouper wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:09 pm
Grammatron wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:42 pm
. . . If tomorrow Feds decide to ends satellite monitoring of things like: temperatures trends, erosion, pollution, etc.; California can step in and monitor it itself. . . .
My question remains, why?

What policy questions depend on this new data?

What will this proposed satellite get them that they can't already do now to stop global warming?
You must have gone to gnome's school of asking question past the given answer, but ok, perhaps I was not clear.

Think of all the satellites that government uses for climate research such as NASA's or NOAA's. Now imagine being a paranoid Califnornian leftist with a huge budget and constituents who are equally paranoid as you. Well you look at Trump and start thinking that Trump may want to shut down all the funding for all those satellites. You tap into your huge budget and say you will launch your own satellite.

But, this is the same state that can't build a high speed rail that nobody wants so I would not expect anything to happen.

I hope I made it clear.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:07 pm

Witness wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:01 am
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:10 pm
Shouldn't that last one be in "the past is a foreign country"?
Sometimes there are overlaps in the categories of a classification. I tend to go for the most parsimonious (when it suits me):

Murica
  • the past
rather than:

The past
  • Albania
  • Murica
  • Zimbabwe
What's more, the document is very Murican: KKK, good and bad N..., anti-communism, all in Alabama. So much so that I checked it wasn't a parody.

Happy now? :)
The sign is from the 1950s, and the KKK would not dare appear in public in Birmingham AL today.

Furthermore, it is historically interesting because there was no Communist Party in Alabama in those days, though the Commies in (for example) Boston and New York certainly "supported" the struggle.

QED
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

xouper

Post by xouper » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:04 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:45 am
xouper wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:09 pm
Grammatron wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:42 pm
. . . If tomorrow Feds decide to ends satellite monitoring of things like: temperatures trends, erosion, pollution, etc.; California can step in and monitor it itself. . . .
My question remains, why?

What policy questions depend on this new data?

What will this proposed satellite get them that they can't already do now to stop global warming?
You must have gone to gnome's school of asking question past the given answer, but ok, perhaps I was not clear.

Think of all the satellites that government uses for climate research such as NASA's or NOAA's. Now imagine being a paranoid Califnornian leftist with a huge budget and constituents who are equally paranoid as you. Well you look at Trump and start thinking that Trump may want to shut down all the funding for all those satellites. You tap into your huge budget and say you will launch your own satellite.

But, this is the same state that can't build a high speed rail that nobody wants so I would not expect anything to happen.

I hope I made it clear.
That's a very clear answer. I got all the the first time. But thanks.

But it still does not answer the question I have been trying to ask. Perhaps I should ask it differently.

Suppose the federal government shuts down all climate science research. And suppose California did the same. Does that mean California no longer has enough information to do anything to stop global warming?

And then suppose California launches a satellite. What will that enable them to do that they cannot already do now to stop global warming? What data will that satellite provide that they cannot do without? What policies cannot be implemented without that new data?

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:07 pm

xouper wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:04 pm

But it still does not answer the question I have been trying to ask. Perhaps I should ask it differently.

Suppose the federal government shuts down all climate science research. And suppose California did the same. Does that mean California no longer has enough information to do anything to stop global warming?
Who said anything about "stopping global warming"?

xouper

Post by xouper » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:51 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:07 pm
xouper wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:04 pm

Gerry Brown, in that article posted by Witness earlier in this thread which prompted my question why do they need their own satellite?

Witness wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:40 pm
California to launch its own satellite

Speaking to the Global Climate Action Summit, California Governor Jerry Brown told the crowd that the state is working to launch a satellite to track climate change and "help the world dramatically reduce these destructive emissions."

The details: California is partnering with San Francisco-based Earth imaging company Planet Labs to build the satellite which aims to track pollutants with "unprecedented precision," and is expected to be able to detect the "point source" of climate pollutants, including super pollutants. Initial funding for the project is coming from private donors. "With science still under attack and the climate threat growing, we’re launching our own damn satellite," Gov. Brown told the audience.
https://www.axios.com/california-to-lau ... 23c71.html
That was in fact the whole point of that Global Climate Action Summit:
www.nbcnews.com/news/ wrote: . . . In the days in between the two announcements, Brown hosted a gathering of nearly 5,000 environmentalists, elected officials, corporate chieftains and activists from five continents at the Global Climate Action Summit here. They repeatedly promised to do more to rein in global warming while trying to spur on an equal level of commitment from 195 national governments.
Not to mention all the other times Governor Brown has said that California should do more to stop global warming.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:19 pm

Grammatron wrote:
xouper wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:51 pm
Gerry Brown, in that article posted by Witness earlier in this thread which prompted my question why do they need their own satellite?
Does he? I read it differently:
California Governor Jerry Brown told the crowd that the state is working to launch a satellite to track climate change and "help the world dramatically reduce these destructive emissions."
Seems like that is an answer to your question right there. The satellite is meant to be used to gather more information that CA and environmental groups (whoever they are) can then take action directly based on that information.

xouper

Post by xouper » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:39 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:19 pm
Grammatron wrote:
xouper wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:51 pm
Does he?
Yes, he does. The purpose of that Summit is to fight global warming. It can't be any more clear than that.

Grammatron wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:19 pm
I read it differently:
California Governor Jerry Brown told the crowd that the state is working to launch a satellite to track climate change and "help the world dramatically reduce these destructive emissions."
Seems like that is an answer to your question right there. The satellite is meant to be used to gather more information that CA and environmental groups (whoever they are) can then take action directly based on that information.
Yes, I read that the first time. And we get back to my original question. If the science is already settled and they already know what to do about it, then what more data do they need to take action?

To me this satellite is more about showboating than about doing anything substantive that will directly mitigate global warming. Putting up yet another satellite translates into "we need more data". Well, I call bullshit.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to address my questions, even though I have not yet got a satisfactory answer. :)

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:54 pm

xouper wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:39 pm
To me this satellite is more about showboating than about doing anything substantive that will directly mitigate global warming. Putting up yet another satellite translates into "we need more data". Well, I call bullshit.
I agree and thought I've said as much. On top of that I doubt it ever even gets launched.

xouper

Post by xouper » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:56 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:54 pm
xouper wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:39 pm
I agree and thought I've said as much. On top of that I doubt it ever even gets launched.
OK, sorry I missed that part. :BananaCheers:

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:12 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:07 pm
The sign is from the 1950s
Wrong. Typography alone shows it's pre-WWII.

http://digital.archives.alabama.gov/cdm ... es/id/2020 (where you can download a better image)

It can be found in the Guy Benton Johnson papers, where it is dated 1933.

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
QED
You've certainly justified you preferences, as I did mine. :mrgreen:

But I'll bow to Anaxagoras' recommendations, as the thread creator, if he chimes in.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:20 am

Witness wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:12 am
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
The sign is from the 1950s
Wrong. Typography alone shows it's pre-WWII.
The nature of my mistake actually strengthens my case that the image belongs in "the past is a foreign country", and I will put it there later if you don't beat me to it.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:10 am

The U.S. Fucking Marines, that's who.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:37 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:20 am
The nature of my mistake actually strengthens my case
https://archive.org/stream/tartuffe02027gut/trtff10.txt

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:15 pm

:)

Giz

Post by Giz » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:55 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:15 pm
:)

At least they are being somewhat productive whilst the Kavanaugh circus is in town.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:13 pm

If already posted (?) I'll replace it.

Giz

Post by Giz » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:48 pm

Witness wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:13 pm

If already posted (?) I'll replace it.
So much win.

Perhaps if Trump wins in 2020, then he can appoint chuck Norris as Sec. Def and we can see this become reality.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:09 am

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:45 am

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!