'Murica

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: 'Murica

Post by Witness » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:43 pm

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:49 pm

From the New York State Assembly, bill S09191:
Summary:

Relates to requiring social media and search engine reviews prior to the approval of an application or renewal of a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver; requires a person applying for a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver or a renewal of such license to consent to having his or her social media accounts and search engine history reviewed and investigated for certain posts and/or searches over a period of 1-3 years prior to the approval of such application or renewal; defines terms.
https://nyassembly.gov/leg/?default_fld ... D=ref_fark

:freedom:

xouper

Post by xouper » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:01 am

Witness wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:49 pm
From the New York State Assembly, bill S09191:
Summary:

Relates to requiring social media and search engine reviews prior to the approval of an application or renewal of a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver; requires a person applying for a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver or a renewal of such license to consent to having his or her social media accounts and search engine history reviewed and investigated for certain posts and/or searches over a period of 1-3 years prior to the approval of such application or renewal; defines terms.
https://nyassembly.gov/leg/?default_fld ... D=ref_fark

:freedom:
What sexist pig wrote that? Whatabout other genders?
New York City creates gender-neutral 'X' option for birth certificates

Daniel Trotta, October 9, 2018

NEW YORK (Reuters) - People who were born in New York City and do not identify as male or female can now opt for a third gender category of X on their birth certificates.

. . . De Blasio said the law afforded New Yorkers the freedom to “tell the government who they are and not the other way around.”
31 Genders – New York City

By Leona Salazar, August 8, 2016

. . . to the über liberal Mayor of New York City, Bill De Blasio, and his equally far left NYC Commission on Human Rights, there are now thirty-one, yes, 31, genders.

. . . According to the Commission, “it’s illegal to discriminate on the basis of gender identity and gender expression in the workplace, in public spaces and in housing” and businesses who violate this new law can be subject to a fine of up to $250,000.00.

So, here’s the list:

Bi-gendered
Cross-Dresser
Drag Queen
Drag King
Femme Queen
Female-to-Male
FTM
Gender Bender
Pangender
Transexual/Transsexual
Trans Person
Woman
Man
Butch
Two-Spirit
Trans
Agender
Third Sex
Gender Fluid
Non-Binary Transgender
Androgyne
Gender Gifted
Gender Blender
Femme
Person of Transgender Experience
Androgynous

. . . According to the Commission, if you don’t know what pronouns to use, ask.

. . . Don’t make assumptions about a transgender person’s sexual orientation.

. . . And, finally, if you believe you’ve been discriminated against, you can call the Commission by dialing “311.”
Yeah, I know, that's the city, not the state.

However, is the state in violation of city law? Will the state be subject to be fined (up to) $250,000?

And why are there only 26 genders in that list?

xouper

Post by xouper » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:11 am

New York City creates gender-neutral 'X' option for birth certificates

Daniel Trotta, October 9, 2018

NEW YORK (Reuters) - People who were born in New York City and do not identify as male or female can now opt for a third gender category of X on their birth certificates.

. . . De Blasio said the law afforded New Yorkers the freedom to “tell the government who they are and not the other way around.”
Does this mean New Yorkers can also tell their auto insurance broker who they are instead of the other way around? Perhaps males can identify as female and get lower insurance rates?

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:20 am

Entrance to high school, Hurley, Virginia. (https://old.reddit.com/r/trashy/comment ... ol_hurley/)

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:36 am

Fuck. I really think we should reconsider blocking these assholes from seceding from the union.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:15 pm

I thought surely it was a joke. But no ...

http://hhs.buc.k12.va.us/

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:24 pm

That reminds me of this guy ....

Ole Miss, see?

Not Ole Massa.

Clearly an early case of transgenderism. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:14 am

Giz

Post by Giz » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:17 am

Hmmm, one of those hyper patriotic Austrian immigrants?

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:48 pm

American-born citizen sues sheriff after he was nearly deported to Jamaica

Peter Sean Brown, who was born in Philadelphia, was detained by Florida authorities and flagged for deportation after a request from ICE, according to a lawsuit.

Peter Sean Brown was born in Philadelphia.

But when he showed up at a Florida sheriff’s office for violating probation after testing positive for marijuana, he was told he would be detained and flagged for deportation — to the island of Jamaica — based on a request from Immigration and Customs Enforcement, according to a federal lawsuit filed Monday.

Brown repeatedly told officers at the Monroe County Sheriff's Office in Florida that he was a U.S. citizen, and even offered to show his birth certificate, according to the lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union, the Southern Poverty Law Center, and Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP.

Brown, 50, had been living in Florida for the last decade, according to the suit.

"Despite his repeated protests to multiple jail officers, his offer to produce proof, and the jail’s own records, the sheriff’s office held Mr. Brown so that ICE could deport him to Jamaica — a country where he has never lived and knows no one," the complaint said.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/am ... ed-n943486

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:02 am

Legal Breakthrough in Special Grand Jury petition for Sept. 11th Attacks

NEW YORK CITY, N.Y, PR Newswire – The Lawyers’ Committee for 9/11 Inquiry has received a letter from the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York in response to its and 9/11 Family Members’ Petitions demanding that he present submitted evidence of yet-to-be-prosecuted federal crimes relating to the destruction of WTCs 1, 2 and 7 to a Special Criminal Grand Jury.

The letter states: “We have received and reviewed The Lawyers’ Committee for 9/11 Inquiry, Inc.’s submissions of April 10 and July 30, 2018. We will comply with the provisions of 18 U.S.C. § 3332 as they relate to your submissions.”

18 U.S.C. § 3332 is clear on the steps that must be taken: “[a]ny such [U.S.] attorney receiving information concerning such an alleged offense from any other person shall … inform the [special] grand jury of such alleged offense, [and] the identity of such other person ….” The Lawyers’ Committee has thanked the U.S. Attorney and offered its support in presenting the evidence contained in its Petition to the Grand Jury.

The original and amended petitions, with their 57 exhibits, present extensive evidence alleging preplaced explosives were used to destroy the three WTC high-rises on 9/11 including: expert analysis of seismic evidence supporting explosions prior to the plane impacts; scientific analysis of WTC dust samples showing high-tech explosives; first-hand reports of explosions by first responders; and analysis by architects and engineers that the collapses exhibited the characteristics of controlled demolitions.

Executive Director Ed Asner stated: “The U.S. Attorney’s decision to comply regarding our petitions is an important step towards greater transparency and accountability regarding the tragic events of 9/11.”
http://manchestergazette.co.uk/legal-br ... tacks/1672

Steel can't melt jet fuel. :mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:48 am

Ohio Senate passes bill requiring students to learn cursive writing

COLUMBUS, Ohio– The Ohio Senate passed a bill on Thursday that would require students to learn how to write in cursive.

Under House Bill 58, the Ohio Department of Education must make handwriting part of the English language arts curriculum.

The bill states students need to be able to print letters and words legibly by the third grade. By the end of the fifth grade, children must know how to write in cursive.

The Ohio House of Representatives approved HB 58 in June. The bill was first introduced in February 2017.

Changes must be approved by the House before it goes to Gov. John Kasich for signing.
https://fox8.com/2018/12/07/ohio-senate ... e-writing/

The poor children! :freedom:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:02 am

Hmm.

When did they stop teaching it?

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Witness wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:48 am
Ohio Senate passes bill requiring students to learn cursive writing

COLUMBUS, Ohio– The Ohio Senate passed a bill on Thursday that would require students to learn how to write in cursive.

Under House Bill 58, the Ohio Department of Education must make handwriting part of the English language arts curriculum.

The bill states students need to be able to print letters and words legibly by the third grade. By the end of the fifth grade, children must know how to write in cursive.

The Ohio House of Representatives approved HB 58 in June. The bill was first introduced in February 2017.

Changes must be approved by the House before it goes to Gov. John Kasich for signing.
https://fox8.com/2018/12/07/ohio-senate ... e-writing/

The poor children! :freedom:
We have an Award Winning thread on this:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30749
Therein you'll find [meager] justification for maintaining cursive as an artful skill.
Mr. Lister wrote:I have mixed feelings about this. The 'signature' argument doesn't hold water for me: one can have a cursive signature without ever really learning cursive. For archival purposes, it is still somewhat relevant. But given that it was never a really necessary skill in the first place, even the archival argument is weak. I think the original arguments were based on purely cultural oddities rather than cursive having any inherent advantage over block writing. Is cursive really faster? I don't think so; it isn't for me at least. Does it improve a child's fine-motor skills? I'd have to see evidence of that before I'd buy it; I can see how it might but 'might' does not reality make.

Penmanship in general is a neglected subject in schools. I don't remember ever having seen a school paper from my kids wherein the penmanship mattered in terms of the grade. Spelling and grammar mattered, but other than that, it only had to be somewhat legible. I really don't remember it mattering much when I was in school either. In fact, on more than one occasion I would intentionally 'obscure' my writing of certain words I couldn't spell so as to prevent having points taken off for misspelling. It worked more often than not.

Today, almost all post-grammar-school product is expected to be typed. Keyboarding is taught to first-graders. My youngest could touch-type faster than could I by the time he was in third grade. Also interesting, he can text from his phone while it is in his pocket!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:56 pm

I learned cursive in school but I don't use it much and even when I write Christmas cards or something like that, I print what I write.

My signature is cursive but that's really the only thing I use it for nowadays. And in Japan I don't even use it for my signature because I was once told "we can't read this, can you print it instead?" Apparently in Japan a signature is supposed to be legible enough for anyone to be able to read it easily. So I print my signature here mostly.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:44 pm

Is cursive a thing in kanji?

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:49 pm

Any mark that you acknowledge as such is a legal signature in the USA.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:53 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:49 pm
X requires an additional acknowledgment.

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:05 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:53 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:49 pm
X requires an additional acknowledgment.
Even for Malcolm X?