A Thought for the Day

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:14 am

There's a fourth sign, but I can't remember what it is.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:02 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:57 am

Meh, I hate that attitude. People are the same there are just more of them.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:34 am

And they can more easily spread their shit, as noted in one of the comments. Humans are social creatures, but we're being overwhelmed.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:32 am

Two different perspectives: the Chinese, where everything is grander in the past (some say it's also visible in their painting as objects don't get represented smaller with distance), or Greek ("Golden Age" and all that), and the Victorian: Progress!

For my part I convinced myself that people were exactly as smart then than now. Even if they reasoned from different backgrounds.
George Orwell wrote:Man is not a Yahoo, but he is rather like a Yahoo and needs to be reminded of it from time to time.
Review of Tropic of Cancer, in New English Weekly (14 November 1935)

shemp
Title: gnat

Post by shemp » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:55 am

Thirty years ago, an idiot could only be heard as far as his voice could reach. Now he can be heard all over the world, and he reinforces other idiots in their false belief that they are smart.

The invention of the internet was the beginning of the end. Those who are reading this one hundred years from now know that I was right.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:12 am

This is a simpler time.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:47 am

All that will be left will be the Spam Bots.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:37 am

CNBC wrote:Goldman Sachs asks in biotech research report: 'Is curing patients a sustainable business model?'
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/11/goldman ... model.html

:mrgreen:

shemp

Post by shemp » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:23 pm

If there's more money in letting them die, that's what they'll do.

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:12 am

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:49 pm

Witness wrote:
CNBC wrote:Goldman Sachs asks in biotech research report: 'Is curing patients a sustainable business model?'
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/11/goldman ... model.html

Wow. Maybe I just wasn't cynical enough to think that some people really do think that way. I know that the alt-med pushers like to portray "big pharma" that way.
Richter cited Gilead Sciences' treatments for hepatitis C, which achieved cure rates of more than 90 percent. The company's U.S. sales for these hepatitis C treatments peaked at $12.5 billion in 2015, but have been falling ever since. Goldman estimates the U.S. sales for these treatments will be less than $4 billion this year, according to a table in the report.
"GILD is a case in point, where the success of its hepatitis C franchise has gradually exhausted the available pool of treatable patients," the analyst wrote. "In the case of infectious diseases such as hepatitis C, curing existing patients also decreases the number of carriers able to transmit the virus to new patients, thus the incident pool also declines … Where an incident pool remains stable (eg, in cancer) the potential for a cure poses less risk to the sustainability of a franchise."
Well, better make sure the cure doesn't work too well.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

shemp

Post by shemp » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:39 am

Planned obsolescence works just as well for pharmaceuticals as it does for automobiles.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:13 pm

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:12 am

They are still . . . pissed?

--J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:44 am

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:14 am

(Told that joke to some of my female friends – made them laugh.)

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:53 am

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:27 am

--J.D.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:11 pm