A Thought for the Day

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Grammatron

Re: A Thought for the Day

Post by Grammatron » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:37 am

sparks wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:47 am
And BTW--I bet the 1% still aren't spending anything. What is being spent comes from tax revenues. So anti up Grammy. [Insert obligatory Yer Mom joke here] :)
The funding is coming from $0.348 per square foot property tax.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:12 pm

Your reading interpretation skills continue to amaze all who are ... exposed ... to them! :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:37 pm

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:02 am

“What a terrible era in which idiots govern the blind.”
― William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:38 am

Umberto Eco Makes a List of the 14 Common Features of Fascism

[big snip]

While Eco is firm in claiming “There was only one Nazism," he says, “the fascist game can be played in many forms, and the name of the game does not change.” Eco reduces the qualities of what he calls “Ur-Fascism, or Eternal Fascism” down to 14 “typical” features. “These features," writes the novelist and semiotician, "cannot be organized into a system; many of them contradict each other, and are also typical of other kinds of despotism or fanaticism. But it is enough that one of them be present to allow fascism to coagulate around it.”
  • The cult of tradition. “One has only to look at the syllabus of every fascist movement to find the major traditionalist thinkers. The Nazi gnosis was nourished by traditionalist, syncretistic, occult elements.”
  • The rejection of modernism. “The Enlightenment, the Age of Reason, is seen as the beginning of modern depravity. In this sense Ur-Fascism can be defined as irrationalism.”
  • The cult of action for action’s sake. “Action being beautiful in itself, it must be taken before, or without, any previous reflection. Thinking is a form of emasculation.”
  • Disagreement is treason. “The critical spirit makes distinctions, and to distinguish is a sign of modernism. In modern culture the scientific community praises disagreement as a way to improve knowledge.”
  • Fear of difference. “The first appeal of a fascist or prematurely fascist movement is an appeal against the intruders. Thus Ur-Fascism is racist by definition.”
  • Appeal to social frustration. “One of the most typical features of the historical fascism was the appeal to a frustrated middle class, a class suffering from an economic crisis or feelings of political humiliation, and frightened by the pressure of lower social groups.”
  • The obsession with a plot. “The followers must feel besieged. The easiest way to solve the plot is the appeal to xenophobia.”
  • The enemy is both strong and weak. “By a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak.”
  • Pacifism is trafficking with the enemy. “For Ur-Fascism there is no struggle for life but, rather, life is lived for struggle.”
  • Contempt for the weak. “Elitism is a typical aspect of any reactionary ideology.”
  • Everybody is educated to become a hero. “In Ur-Fascist ideology, heroism is the norm. This cult of heroism is strictly linked with the cult of death.”
  • Machismo and weaponry. “Machismo implies both disdain for women and intolerance and condemnation of nonstandard sexual habits, from chastity to homosexuality.”
  • Selective populism. “There is in our future a TV or Internet populism, in which the emotional response of a selected group of citizens can be presented and accepted as the Voice of the People.”
  • Ur-Fascism speaks Newspeak. “All the Nazi or Fascist schoolbooks made use of an impoverished vocabulary, and an elementary syntax, in order to limit the instruments for complex and critical reasoning.”
Details & comments: http://www.openculture.com/2016/11/umbe ... scism.html

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:23 am

If aliens grabbed some rando popped-collar douchebro off of a frathouse roof, Uplifted his brain, and handed him a billion dollars, they'd wind up with Elon Musk, a furiously rich, frighteningly smart visionary and ambulatory Ed Hardy shirt. The wisdom-dump-statted Musk has been terrifying Tesla shareholders by careening from one bizarre antic after another. It might be said of him that we are all constantly called upon to hold his beer.

--Ken White
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

xouper

Post by xouper » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:44 pm

It seems to me, the kind of people who criticize Elon Musk (even if they are correct) are the kind of people who would never have started companies like Paypal, Tesla, SpaceX, or The Boring Company. In other words, it's easier to be a naysayer than a doer. Even Henry Ford had "faults".

So here's another thought for the day:

Scientists Find Truth in "Mad Scientist" Stereotype: There Is a Link between Genius and Insanity

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:39 am

An inspiring quote, for once. :mrgreen:

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:42 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:43 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:09 am

xouper wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:44 pm
It seems to me, the kind of people who criticize Elon Musk (even if they are correct) are the kind of people who would never have started companies like Paypal, Tesla, SpaceX, or The Boring Company. In other words, it's easier to be a naysayer than a doer. Even Henry Ford had "faults".

So here's another thought for the day:

Scientists Find Truth in "Mad Scientist" Stereotype: There Is a Link between Genius and Insanity

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/henry- ... ross-1938/

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:06 am

Those who are caught in the machinery of power take no joy except in activity and change – the whirring of the machine! Whenever an occasion for action presents itself, they are compelled to act; they cannot help themselves. They are inexorably moved, like the machine of which they are a part. Prisoners in the world of objects, they have no choice but to submit to the demands of matter! They are pressed down and crushed by external forces, fashion, the market, events, public opinion. Never in a whole lifetime do they recover their right mind! The active life! What a pity!”

― Thomas Merton, The Way of Chuang Tzu

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:07 am

I haven't been on this thing is years! It's like visiting the house you grew up in!

If you, like, buried a dead guy behind it.

--The Monarch[!--Ed.]
--J.D.
The Monarch[!--Ed.] You have . . . no special abilities?

St. Cloud I have money.

The Monarch[!--Ed.] Perfect!
I'll let you take the first swing and if you don't put me down, I'll beat the living shit out of you until my arthritis kicks in!

And I just took my Humera!

--Triple Threat
Get a nerd laid and they think they're masters of the universe!

--Gen. Hunter S. Gathers
Your Mom!
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:16 am

The universe is not stranger than you imagine, the universe is stranger than you can imagine.
– Sir Arthur Eddington

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:24 pm

Thought it was Haldane.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:13 pm

No.

It was Haldane who said "Everything is a dildo if you're brave enough". :p
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

sparks

Post by sparks » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:56 pm

:lmao:

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:20 am

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche