The Officially Sanctioned "River to My People!" Thread to Combat the Doom and Gloom and Stuff Nyarl

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The Officially Sanctioned "River to My People!" Thread to Combat the Doom and Gloom and Stuff Nyarl

Post by Doctor X » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:05 am

From QuackWatch:
Homeopathy commissioning in England ended

Homeopathic pills or consultations can no longer be funded with money from England's National Health Service (NHS). The Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) has become the last of England's CCGs to end the commissioning of homeopathic remedies. This action marks the culmination of a four-year campaign by the Good Thinking Society to persuade NHS England to stop wasting money on homeopathy. [Marsh. NHS Bristol ends funding for homeopathy, ending all homeopathy commissioning in England. Good Thinking site. Aug. 7, 2018]
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Giz

Re: The Officially Sanctioned "River to My People!" Thread to Combat the Doom and Gloom and Stuff Nyarl

Post by Giz » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:18 pm

We don't need to remove it entirely, just dilute the current funding to homeopathic levels.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:39 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

shemp
Title: gnat

Post by shemp » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:06 am

HERESY!!!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:46 am

Pyrrho wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:39 pm

And then her father sold her off for medical experiments.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:55 am

Rare Tree Kangaroo Reappears After Vanishing for 90 Years

Once thought to be extinct, the Wondiwoi tree kangaroo has just been photographed in a remote New Guinea mountain range.

The Wondiwoi tree kangaroo is so rare and elusive that it disappeared for nearly a century and was assumed to be extinct. Now it has not only been spotted, but also photographed for the first time ever.

The unusual monkey-like kangaroo clambers through the trees of the montane forests of New Guinea. It had been seen there only once before by Western scientists, in 1928.

The Wondiwoi tree kangaroo had not been collected, seen, or reported since that first sighting. “It is one of the most poorly known mammals in the world,” says Mark Eldridge, a marsupial biologist at the Australian Museum in Sydney.
Vintage illustration:

Photo:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/anim ... reddit.com

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:00 am

Good eatin'
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:11 am

I was excited there was a doom and gloom combating post, but it's just ed

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:22 am

Here you go, Gram:

Tōkyō Game Show 2018 Cosplayers

I would send over My Mom, but the fleet is in town so, you know. . . .

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:12 pm

Those were nice

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:47 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:04 am

Three paralyzed people walk after nerve stimulation
Three men paralyzed by spinal cord injury can now walk with the support of crutches or a walker thanks to an experimental nerve stimulation therapy, Science News reports. The new results are the latest in a string of successes for a rehabilitation approach that electrically stimulates neurons in the spinal cord to reestablish the communication between the legs and the brain. The implanted device was developed to treat pain, but when combined with 5 months of intensive physical therapy, it restored movement years after a paralyzing injury, researchers reported yesterday in Nature. Independent groups reported similar gains in patients with more extensive nerve damage in two papers published in September in The New England Journal of Medicine and Nature Medicine.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:43 am

That is something people have been wanting to accomplish for decades. Basics of walking is a reflex "stored" in the lower spinal cord. The idea is if you can stimulate properly that reflect, you can make people walk. It will not be pretty; it will not have cortical control; but it is something.

--J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:08 am

Emissions-free energy system saves heat from the summer sun for winter

A research group from Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, has made great, rapid strides towards the development of a specially designed molecule which can store solar energy for later use. These advances have been presented in four scientific articles this year, with the most recent being published in the highly ranked journal Energy & Environmental Science.

Around a year ago, the research team presented a molecule that was capable of storing solar energy. The molecule, made from carbon, hydrogen and nitrogen, has the unique property that when it is hit by sunlight, it is transformed into an energy-rich isomer – a molecule which consists of the same atoms, but bound together in a different way.

This isomer can then be stored for use when that energy is later needed – for example, at night or in winter. It is in a liquid form and is adapted for use in a solar energy system, which the researchers have named MOST (Molecular Solar Thermal Energy Storage). In just the last year, the research team have made great advances in the development of MOST.

“The energy in this isomer can now be stored for up to 18 years. And when we come to extract the energy and use it, we get a warmth increase which is greater than we dared hope for,” says the leader of the research team, Kasper Moth-Poulsen, in Nano Materials Chemistry at Chalmers.Professor Kasper Moth-Poulsen holding a tube containing the catalyst, in front of the ultra-high vacuum setup that was used to m

The research group have developed a catalyst for controlling the release of the stored energy. The catalyst acts as a filter, through which the liquid flows, creating a reaction which warms the liquid by 63 centigrades. If the liquid has a temperature of 20°Celsius when it pumps through the filter, it comes out the other side at 83°Celsius. At the same time, it returns the molecule to its original form, so that it can be then reused in the warming system.
https://www.chalmers.se/en/departments/ ... nter-.aspx

As usual, we'll see.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:46 am

I don't know if that is spectacularly bad reporting or spectacularly bad science. I suppose both could be true.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:08 pm

I wonder why the liquid is cold after passing through the solar thermal collector
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:24 pm

William Shakespeare

xouper

Post by xouper » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:24 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:08 pm
I wonder why the liquid is cold after passing through the solar thermal collector
From the paper you cited, it seems to me they are saying that the solar energy is absorbed by altering the chemical bonds within the molecule, not by increasing the molecule's kinetic energy. If the kinetic energy of the molecule is not increased, then the temperature would remain the same after leaving the thermal collector. Perhaps I have misunderstood what they are saying.

xouper

Post by xouper » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:26 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:46 am
I don't know if that is spectacularly bad reporting or spectacularly bad science.
Please enlighten me about what you find to be bad about either the reporting or the science. Thanks.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:53 am

'Remarkable' decline in fertility rates

There has been a remarkable, global decline in the number of children women are having, say researchers.

[…]
The study, published in the Lancet, followed trends in every country from 1950 to 2017.

In 1950, women were having an average of 4.7 children in their lifetime. The fertility rate all but halved to 2.4 children per woman by last year.
[…]
Prof Christopher Murray, the director of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington, told the BBC: "We've reached this watershed where half of countries have fertility rates below the replacement level, so if nothing happens the populations will decline in those countries.

"It's a remarkable transition.

"It's a surprise even to people like myself, the idea that it's half the countries in the world will be a huge surprise to people."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46118103