The Officially Sanctioned "River to My People!" Thread to Combat the Doom and Gloom and Stuff Nyarl

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The Officially Sanctioned "River to My People!" Thread to Combat the Doom and Gloom and Stuff Nyarl

Postby Doctor X » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:06 am

Depressed?

With the laughable incompetence of NFL referees?

Come form your own country!

One man is trying to create a utopia on what he says is unclaimed land between Serbia and Croatia. He's banned from setting foot in his would-be territory, but he has not given up.

The president stared across the water at his country, from which he is exiled.

We were in a boat on the Danube, only a few yards from the territory of Liberland - what he calls the "beloved country".

But we knew that if we tried to disembark, the Croatian river police would arrest us. Patriotism struggled with prudence, and lost.

Liberland is only 7 sq km (2.5 sq miles) of uninhabited marshland. But in the mind of Vit Jedlicka, its first president, it's the fulfilment of the libertarian dream - a land with no compulsory taxes, no gun control, with Bitcoins as currency.

In the summer of 2015, he, his girlfriend and a couple of mates planted a flag there. The other three elected him president. No word on whether or not he won the popular vote, or merely the electoral.

Since then, he has signed up nearly half a million would-be citizens online. Who will all enjoy living in 7 square miles of marsh. He has appointed a cabinet and ambassadors-in-waiting worldwide. He has money from crowdfunding and wealthy libertarian donors. He has printed diplomatic passports.

[Details on the disagreements on borders "Snip'd."--Ed.]

So in September, I flew to Budapest, where the president and his foreign minister, Jose Miguel Maschietto, picked me up in a hired car.

["Snip!"--Ed.]

All this time, we were accompanied by the foreign minister Jose Miguel Maschietto, a strikingly handsome 32-year-old, always impeccably dressed.

He's a Venetian, and so knows about boats. But something about him didn't quite add up.

He said he'd been a commander in the Italian army and served as a UN peacekeeper in Kosovo. But he wouldn't tell me when. He was always telling me things that turned out to be untrue, or inaccurate, or unlikely. He claimed to be in constant touch with his ambassadors, but then he got muddled about their names.

Back home, I did some digging - and found a whole another barely credible story.

Three years ago, Maschietto had claimed to be an internationally celebrated pianist and composer. He'd won an award for the soundtrack to the film Gravity. He was conductor of the state opera of Prague, guest conductor at the Paris National Opera and guest ballet conductor at the Bolshoi. His CV of awards and prestigious official positions ran to several pages.

This musical prodigy had given interviews to the Italian and Czech press and media. And because he was of Ecuadorian heritage - he had been adopted by an Italian family as a child - he had been lionised by the Ecuadorian ambassador to Germany, who wanted to appoint him an honorary consul in Prague. There was going to be a film made of his amazing life.

The trouble was, it was all untrue.

None of the institutions he claimed to have worked with had any record of him. His piano playing was mediocre at best. He had got an engagement to conduct an orchestra in Venice but, the orchestral manager told me, the players rebelled after half an hour and he was replaced.

The work of exposing the hoax fell to a group of Ecuadorian expatriates in German and Prague, including a genuinely distinguished Ecuadorian musician, Boris Cepeda, who had never heard of Maschietto.

Eventually, the Ecuadorian government admitted it had been duped, and withdrew the honorary consulship. Maschietto went to ground, only resurfacing this year as Liberland foreign minister, and altering his name, presumably to avoid detection.

I told Jedlicka of his foreign minister's rich fantasy life. He was shocked and surprised. Maschietto resigned.

The president wrote to me: "I'm still doing my best to choose the best people for the team and lately I was not very lucky. I hope to be able to get better people on board soon. Maybe you would be interested in working for our intelligence services?"

As many nation-builders through history have discovered, it's your friends as much as your enemies you need to keep an eye on.

Unlike his ex-foreign minister, Vit Jedlicka isn't trying to fool anyone. But both men are pursuing fantasies.

If Croatia and Serbia ever sort out their border disagreement, there will be no little piece of land left over to build a libertarian heaven on earth.

But then, as Vit Jedlicka is fond of saying, all countries are fantasies. They're all in your head. And a man's reach should always exceed his grasp, for what else is there an insane asylum for?

Beaten By Colonists: Jolyon Jenkins

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Witness

Re: The Officially Sanctioned "River to My People!" Thread to Combat the Doom and Gloom and Stuff Nyarl

Postby Witness » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:49 am

The Guardian wrote:Threatened seabirds begin to recover on Macquarie Island after pests eliminated

Eight species of threatened seabird have begun to recover on Macquarie Island, signalling a possible end to 130 years of death and destruction on the sub-Antarctic outpost.

The island has been formally declared pest-free, five years after the last rabbit was killed.

The black-browed albatross, light-mantled sooty albatross, Antarctic prion and white-headed petrel, which were all listed as endangered, are now considered to be of least concern, while the grey-headed albatross has been downgraded from critically endangered to endangered.

The blue petrel was downgraded from critically endangered to vulnerable, while the southern diving petrel and south Georgian diving petrel, which were listed as vulnerable, are now listed as species of least concern.

Professor Stephen Garnett, head of Birdlife Australia’s threatened species unit, said it was the biggest one-off downlisting of threatened species in Australian history.
[…]
Sealers introduced rats, cats and rabbits to the island in the late 19th century.

By 2000 the rats and cats had been eradicated, leaving the rabbits to thrive and causing widespread destruction of albatross nesting habitat.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/19/threatened-seabirds-begin-to-recover-on-macquarie-island-after-pests-eliminated

And for our UK friends:
The Guardian wrote:British farmland bird bounces back from brink of extinction

One of Britain’s most threatened farmland birds has reached a major milestone in its recovery from the brink of extinction, figures show.

A nationwide survey by the RSPB shows the UK population of the cirl bunting – a small, finch-like bird – has reached 1,078 pairs after numbering just 118 in 1989.

The RSPB said the dramatic rise is the result of a 25-year project recovery programme between the organisation, Natural England and local farmers in the south-west of England to help manage their land in order to provide year-round food supplies and habitat for the cirl bunting.
UK golden eagle population soars to new heights
Read more

Under the initiative, farmers took up country stewardship schemes which provide financial incentives for making nature-friendly choices. These ranged from leaving crops to go to stubble after harvest and provide seed food during colder months to planting grass margins at the edge of fields to support habitats for insects and spiders that would act as a summer food source.

Many other birds have benefitted from the effects of the project, including linnets, skylarks and yellowhammer, which are all known to gain from a boost in stubble winter food sources.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/17/british-farmland-bird-bounces-back-from-brink-of-extinction

Distribution:

Green: present; blue: rare; orange: introduced.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:09 am

This could almost go in the Nyarl Was Right Thread:

Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim has withdrawn a bill that would pardon men convicted of sex with underage girls if they had married them. Just like in the Bible so it MUST be Perfect Love and Good!

["Snip!"--Ed.]

The government says the main aim is to exonerate men imprisoned for marrying an underage girl apparently with her or her family's consent. Oh . . . well . . . that is all settled, then!

["Snip!"--Ed.]

This bill sparked a rare thing here: cross-party opposition. The AKP MPs who proposed it insisted it would not pardon rapists or sexual abusers and was simply intended to exonerate men who marry underage girls apparently with consent Maybe this belongs in the other thread. . . .

However, critics said that in patriarchal Turkey, a young girl would feel unable to give consent "Ya think?!" and so the bill would have legitimised rape and encouraged child brides. When conservative, usually pro-government, women spoke out against it - including the president's wife - the bill was doomed to failure.

Child marriage is a problem here. Former President Abdullah Gul famously married when he was 30 and his wife 15.

But women's groups say the solution is not controversial legislation such as this but real opportunities for girls. And they say the Islamist AKP has encouraged female subservience, with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan calling childless women "deficient".

["Snip!"--Ed.]

Ravza Kavakci Kan, an AKP MP, said the bill had been misunderstood. Image

"It is about giving normality to young women Image who have been married underage due to cultural norms, other norms, and now find themselves with their children suffering because their husbands are in prison," she told the BBC's Newsday programme.

Colonial . . . Bugger'd . . . Badly

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:53 pm

Witness wrote:
Science Daily wrote:Fuel from sewage is the future -- and it's closer than you think

Sewage, or more specifically sewage sludge, has long been viewed as a poor ingredient for producing biofuel because it's too wet. The approach being studied by PNNL eliminates the need for drying required in a majority of current thermal technologies which historically has made wastewater to fuel conversion too energy intensive and expensive. HTL may also be used to make fuel from other types of wet organic feedstock, such as agricultural waste.

Using hydrothermal liquefaction, organic matter such as human waste can be broken down to simpler chemical compounds. The material is pressurized to 3,000 pounds per square inch -- nearly one hundred times that of a car tire. Pressurized sludge then goes into a reactor system operating at about 660 degrees Fahrenheit. The heat and pressure cause the cells of the waste material to break down into different fractions -- biocrude and an aqueous liquid phase.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161102134504.htm

Back of notepad calculation

Let's take 1 cm2 of poop, roughly a gram. It isn't quite the density of water, a bit heavier usually. Close enough, unless you have floaters. Poop is .75 water. Of the .25 left it is roughly .3 dead bacteria, .3 protein, .3 fiber. Some .1 miscellaneous stuff.

Let's assume a rainbow and ponies reality wherein this process will convert 1 cm2 of poop directly to ethanol.

Initially, to raise that cm2 of water from human temperature (35c) to 350c (the necessary temp for the reaction) we need 320 degrees. Thereafter, a counter-current heat exchange could be used to recover all but ~15% (in practice) of that, so
320 x .15 = 48 degrees.

It takes 4200 joules to raise 1 cm2 1 degree C.
4200 x 48 = .202 MJ for each cm2 of ethanol produced.

How much energy is in that 1 cm2 of resultant diesel? Ethanol has a energy density of 20 MJ/L. There are 1000 cm2 to the liter so
20/1000 = .02 MJ/cm2.

That gives us a production ERoI of -10; ten times more energy is required than is actually created.

I think they need to go back to the drawing board.

Witness

Postby Witness » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:05 am

Rob Lister wrote:from human temperature
:shock:

Depends on the reading one makes. Considered as a way to grab & store wasted or more or less freely available energy (idling plants, industrial processes…) yield is only one parameter in the cost/benefit equation. Even if it's an important one, of course.
With the added benefit of getting rid of waste.

Give them some time, they just showed that it's possible to start with crude, wet, organic matter. Perhaps the process can be fine tuned, catalyzed, whatever… :wink:

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:49 pm

Witness wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:from human temperature

I was a bit tongue in cheek that.

Depends on the reading one makes. Considered as a way to grab & store wasted or more or less freely available energy (idling plants, industrial processes…)

My turn
If the value of the 'grabbed and stored' wasted energy is ten times less than the cost of the grab and store, what value has it other than negative?

yield is only one parameter in the cost/benefit equation. Even if it's an important one, of course.
With the added benefit of getting rid of waste.

The energy cost of the current least efficient method getting rid of that waste (ie treating that waste) is 30 kwh/(PEa)
1 PE (people equiv per day) = ~2.5 m2
30k/2.5 = 12kwh/m2

Convert to joules: 12 kwh x 3,600,000 = 43 MJ
Divide for units 43/1000000 = 43 J/cm2

Compare and contrast with energy cost of this new conversion system
202,000 J(in) - 20,000 J(out) = 182,000 J/cm2

4200 times less efficient in terms of energy.

Give them some time, they just showed that it's possible to start with crude, wet, organic matter. Perhaps the process can be fine tuned, catalyzed, whatever… :wink:

I really think they need a new blackboard.

On the bright side, I probably got some of the math wrong.

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:10 pm

TheScientist wrote:Tasmanian Devils Developing Resistance to Transmissible Cancer

During the last 20 years, a contagious cancer has decimated Tasmanian devil (Sarcophilus harrisii) populations. Cancer cells, which are spread by biting, grow deadly tumors on the faces and mouths of the aggressive marsupials. Because devil facial tumor disease (DFTD) has been observed in almost all known populations and is nearly 100 percent fatal, epidemiological models have suggested that the most long-infected populations are facing extinction.

“But they’re currently surviving,” said Andrew Storfer of Washington State University. Now, he and his colleagues have the start of an explanation as to why. In a study published today (August 30) in Nature Communications, Storfer and an international team of researchers reported genomic evidence to suggest that Tasmanian devils are evolving resistance to DFTD.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/46907/title/Tasmanian-Devils-Developing-Resistance-to-Transmissible-Cancer/

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:15 pm

It looks like Nyarl. It hates everything.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:42 pm

Cannot believe I missed this:

Update: Ninth Circuit Rejects Attack on "Comfort Women" Monument:

In 2013, the city of Glendale, California created a monument to "comfort women" — women of various countries sexually enslaved by the Imperial Army of Japan during World War II. Back in 2014 I wrote about a lawsuit brought by Japanese-Americans against the City of Glendale in which the plaintiffs claimed that Glendale's commemoration violated the Constitution's Supremacy Clause because it interfered with the still-sensitive and still-controversial (to the Japanese, anyway) subject of Japanese war crimes. I wrote about a federal court's dismissal of the lawsuit later in 2014, and Marc Randazza piled on and questioned the recent provenance of the entity created to be one of the plaintiffs. I maintain my position that the lawsuit was one of the most repulsive I remember seeing.

During the summer, there was an update — the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit upheld the dismissal of the lawsuit.

["Snip!"--Ed.]

This was the right result. Any other would prevent local governments — and by extension their citizens — from expressing themselves on historic matters. In a post-factual world, uttering the truth steadfastly becomes even more important. Imperial Japan sexually enslaved women. If they don't like that being said, tough.

This firm rejection by the Ninth Circuit renders moot my previous speculation on the ultimate endgame of the forces behind this lawsuit.I will note, however, that one of the original attorneys on the case has litigated on behalf of Turkey and Turkish entities using the same Supremacy Clause argument. Glendale, and its environs, have monuments recognizing the Armenian Genocide. Turkey, and Turkish interests, would prefer those monuments and official recognitions did not exist. If that was the long game, it has been thwarted now. But the fight to tell the truth about history does not end.

Hat of the Pontiff

--J.D.

pillory

Postby pillory » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:09 pm

maybe I'm too old and slow for so green river like that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-vTk122Guw
Pillory-deletable stuff since Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:15 pm

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:50 pm

A day making a Fat, Drunk, Willfully Stupid, Racist cry is, indeed, wealth to My People!

--J.D.

pillory

Postby pillory » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:31 pm

maybe I still dam my tears,until it's time to cry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O5oYSbIlfk

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:39 pm

A day making a Fat, Drunk, Willfully Stupid, Racist cry is, indeed, wealth to My People!

--J.D.

pillory

Postby pillory » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:45 pm

your wealht with your people will last maximally only fourty years now on-----then comes end of the world----fuck--the reality sucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoHgyofnGpM

this song is very Irstas---lewd as you salacious people say-----even for my taste

pillory

Postby pillory » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:48 pm

only way Mr.Doctor x will cry is when president Trump will fuck he in ass----and yet then for happiness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE82tqsLjq8

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:52 pm

--J.D.

pillory

Postby pillory » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:56 pm

Is it Law of nature that The Creature doesn't accept everything He All Mighty has created----tough Dude---must admit----drinker's blues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr5yaFWwDn8

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:00 pm

--J.D.

pillory

Postby pillory » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:08 pm

mister x doctor,excuse me,but you narrow my world view,,,,for example for what blossom undercover intellectualism yours Pillis And Pullas would have,if you didn't so try to be control freak---as Monni----they would in peacufull act for some introgesm----I meant ignorism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn6nGzacIuA

pillory

Postby pillory » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:10 pm

maybe I'm not Pekka Töpöhäntä at all---just Pekka Puupää
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuFn1-kb9Ac

Return to “Banter”