Any gamers here? A shitpost thread just for you.

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Nyarlathotep

Re: Any gamers here? A shitpost thread just for you.

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:59 am

Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:00 am

This is me sometimes...

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:19 pm

This is the most truthful gaming meme ever

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:33 pm

Hang on buddy, it's privilege checking time.

Privilege, Power, and Dungeons & Dragons: How Systems Shape Racial and Gender Identities in Tabletop Role-Playing Games
Taylor & Francis (Academic publisher)
ABSTRACT

This article takes a cultural-historical approach to analyzing how systems shape the assumptions, identities, and experiences of their users. Focusing on how the tabletop role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons is built on a system of play that has grown and shifted over the course of 40 years, this study emphasizes the central role that systems play in mediating the experiences of participants. By focusing on depictions of gender, race, and power in Dungeons & Dragons—as a singular cultural practice—this study highlights how researchers must attend to cultural production both around and within systems.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:32 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Hang on buddy, it's privilege checking time.

Privilege, Power, and Dungeons & Dragons: How Systems Shape Racial and Gender Identities in Tabletop Role-Playing Games
Taylor & Francis (Academic publisher)
ABSTRACT

This article takes a cultural-historical approach to analyzing how systems shape the assumptions, identities, and experiences of their users. Focusing on how the tabletop role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons is built on a system of play that has grown and shifted over the course of 40 years, this study emphasizes the central role that systems play in mediating the experiences of participants. By focusing on depictions of gender, race, and power in Dungeons & Dragons—as a singular cultural practice—this study highlights how researchers must attend to cultural production both around and within systems.
About time somebody called out D&D for their "one of my best friends is a drow / but the rest of them are violent ne'er do wells" racist tropes.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:43 pm

The thing that makes me call bulllshit on studies like that is that they ignore one very important fact, the GM (Dungeon Master, Keeper, Marshall, Referee, Whatever he is called in any given RPG) has far more impact on the tone of the game and the gameworld handles things like gender, race, sexual orientation, etc. A game run by a MAGA hat wearing gun nut is going to have a very different atmosphere than one run by a genderfluid latinx otherkin furry. And gaming is a weird hobby in that it attracts both types and everything in between.

It's also highly dependant on the group dynamic. Some groups just want to kick down doors, kill stuff, and take their loot. Others prefer deep immersive roleplay where every detail of the game world is highlighted. The former probably is going to give zero fucks about gender roles or racial dynamics of the game world, and such things probably won't really be fleshed out or relevant in their game worlds. The latter will give an awful lot of fucks and those things will probably be spelled out in excruciating detail, or at least in the 70 pages of backstory that each player wrote out for his/her/their character.

And even in game systems where such things are spelled out in the game's background itself (i.e. 7th Sea), gamers are notorious tinkers who change such things on a whim.

Makes it impossible to make any real judgements about the game overall.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:02 pm

Another thought:

Seeing the real world as an oversimplified place where bad guys look different, everything revolves around you, and you solve problems by shooting them, victory usually brings reward, and you imagine you know exactly who to shoot and who not to shoot, is a misguided world view. On the other hand, a game world that is that way by design can simply be fun, relieve the player of the moral dilemmas of real life for a little while. Enjoying that doesn't make you a bad person, nor does making it for people's enjoyment either.

TL;DR version: You're not obligated to make a game as morally complex as the real world.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:17 pm

D&D is all about leveling up. Hence the acquisition of privilege is inherent and unavoidable.

The only good guys are the "monsters" who can level drain. They are the Social justice heroes of the d&d universe.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:26 pm

gnome wrote:Another thought:

Seeing the real world as an oversimplified place where bad guys look different, everything revolves around you, and you solve problems by shooting them, victory usually brings reward, and you imagine you know exactly who to shoot and who not to shoot, is a misguided world view. On the other hand, a game world that is that way by design can simply be fun, relieve the player of the moral dilemmas of real life for a little while. Enjoying that doesn't make you a bad person, nor does making it for people's enjoyment either.

TL;DR version: You're not obligated to make a game as morally complex as the real world.
IMO you're not obliged to make any game other than what you want to play.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:49 pm

True enough.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:59 pm

I am concerned about what Shakespeare is teaching Our Children.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:06 pm

Giz wrote:D&D is all about leveling up. Hence the acquisition of privilege is inherent and unavoidable.

The only good guys are the "monsters" who can level drain. They are the Social justice heroes of the d&d universe.
Level drain no longer exists in D&D. So there are no heroes at all, apparently

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:08 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Giz wrote:D&D is all about leveling up. Hence the acquisition of privilege is inherent and unavoidable.

Late stage CapitalismD&D-verse

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:

No level drain?! I played D&D before it was [SJW] cool.

Class: Hipster, level 20.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:27 pm

Long story short: Time spent playing D&D is time not spent being oppressed or making a better world.

QED racist m****rfucker. :p
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:36 pm

Better world? I make GREAT worlds, ask anyone who has played in any of my homebrew campaigns. I suppose there is always room for "better" but I am damned good if I do say so myself

And when I DM I am damned proud to be the oppressor of my players, I make THEM the oppressed
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:41 pm

As for race dynamics; in the game I currently am running on Sundays (thus breaking the Sabbath so I can offend Christians as well as people who would prefer I was fighting for social change) I am running a semi-serious horror tinged D&D game and having to gloss over the fact that the player characters consist of 1 human, 1 elf, 1 dragon born (a dragonman, essentially), 1 tabaxi (a cat person) and a lizard man and having to justify why the locals don't grab their torches and pitchforks as soon as they walk into town.

There is your racial dynamics right there.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:44 pm

gnome wrote:Another thought:

Yep. I think part of the appeal of fiction in general (whether it takes the form of books, movies, games or whatever) is that the problems are solvable, unlike real life where they often are not.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun May 13, 2018 3:27 am

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun May 13, 2018 5:45 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:Image
Mimics?! Who the hell ever met a mimic? What kind of campaigns are you running?

Manticore
Medusa
Mind flayer
Minotaur
Mummy

Who picks ‘mimic’ as an iconic d&d adversary?