Stupid Law Suits

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Stupid Law Suits

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:44 pm

The lawsuit states Gertie bought a two-cheeseburger Extra Value Meal from at least five suburban Chicago McDonald's locations in October and November, and each time it was 41 cents more expensive than the a la carte option. He tells WLS-AM that he also went to 25 other McDonald's locations just to compare prices, finding that many were charging the exact same price for the two options. He doesn't think McDonald's should be able to get away with such blatant false advertising, with the lawsuit stating the meal deal is clearly "no ‘value’ at all, let alone an ‘extra value.'" Gertie is seeking reimbursement for all customers "overcharged" for the two-cheeseburger Extra Value Meal.
http://www.newser.com/story/235804/man- ... -isnt.html

Dude, you're getting more value so you should pay 41 cents extra.

If I were the jury, I'd give Mc'd's cost.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Re: Stupid Law Suits

Post by ed » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:00 pm

If I were the jury I'd make him eat 25 Big Macs at one sitting them I'd pants him on Park and 42nd st. Then I'd nut kick him.
- new minimalist ethos -

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:06 pm

Wow. That's awful extreme. I was just suggesting court costs.

ed

Post by ed » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:01 pm

Then court costs. <spit>
- new minimalist ethos -

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:17 am

Some older examples:

Man sues Chinese actress over her intense stare in TV show
Reports say the lawsuit filed by a Shanghai man involves the prime-time TV show "Tiger Mom" which debuted in May and centers on a couple's differing approach to raising their daughter. Zhao plays the big-eyed mother who relentlessly pushes her daughter's development, while the father wants his child to have more freedom.

The Legal Daily said the plaintiff was alleging Zhao's stare caused him "spiritual damage."
Nebraska Woman Files Suit Against All Homosexuals

They make the Baby Jesus cry, you know.
A Nebraska woman identifying herself as the "ambassador" for plaintiffs "God and His Son, Jesus Christ," is suing all homosexuals on Earth for breaking "religious and moral laws," according to court records filed Tuesday.

In the suit, entered into the docket as Driskell v. Homosexuals, Sylvia Ann Driskell, 66, of Auburn, Nebraska, asks in a seven-page, neatly handwritten petition (PDF) that U.S. District Judge John M. Gerrard decide once and for all whether homosexuality is or isn't a sin.

The suit doesn't cite any case law under which a judge could make such a determination. In fact, it cites no court cases at all, quoting Webster's Dictionary and numerous Bible verses, instead, to bolster Driskell's central contention, which is:

"That homosexuality is a sin and that they the homosexuals know it is a sin to live a life of homosexuality. Why else would they have been hiding in the closet."

Driskell writes, "I'm sixty six years old, an [sic] I never thought that I would see the day in which our Great Nation or Our Great State of Nebraska would become so compliant to the complicity of some peoples [sic] lewd behavior."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vexatious_litigation
Lawrence Bittaker, who together with his partner Roy Norris was convicted of torturing and murdering five young women in 1979. He filed 40 separate frivolous lawsuits against the state of California, including one claiming "cruel and unusual punishment" after being served a broken cookie. In 1993, he was declared a vexatious litigant and is forbidden from filing lawsuits without the permission of a lawyer or a judge.[39]
Then there was this one:

https://sites.google.com/site/simpsonlitigation/
Complaint

Filed November 14, 2007
Simpson's complaint seeking $20 million in damages for claims of fraud,
misrepresentation, breach of contract, misfeasance, malfeasance, defamation,
intentional infliction of emotional distress, violation of the First Amendment,
violation of the Fourth Amendment, and conspiracy arises out of Simpson's use of
an Internet forum on which Simpson told a tale about being visited by aliens
called ET Corn Gods who advised him that it was his job to determine and share
with the world decoding rules to reveal a hidden language that has been
embedded into the English language by the aforementioned ET Corn Gods.
Simpson claimed that he worked on cracking the code for 22 years.
Not surprisingly, other users of the forum were skeptical of Simpson's claims, and
quickly demonstrated that Simpson's "code" was nonsensical in that any word
could, in fact, be translated into any other word a person chooses, by following the
rules Simpson outlined, thus establishing that Simpson's claims about the code
were untrue.
:P
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:50 am

There really are some stupid ones.

I mean really, if a lawyer went with this I would expect them to be laughed out of the courtroom...

"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:26 pm

I don't know if this one is stupid or just weird.
It's France, so I really have no idea about the laws there.

Cheating Frenchman sues Uber for tipping off wife about affair
A businessman in southern France is suing ride-hailing company Uber over his wife's discovery of rides he took to see his lover, his lawyer said.
The man says he once requested an Uber driver from his wife's phone.
Despite logging off, the application continued to send notifications to her iPhone afterwards, revealing his travel history and arousing her suspicions.
The couple have since divorced. The lawsuit is reportedly worth up to €45m ($48m; £38m).
"My client was the victim of a bug in an application," his lawyer David-André Darmon told AFP news agency after the case was lodged at a court in Grasse.
"The bug has caused him problems in his private life," Mr Darmon added.
In the US, I think most software applications make you agree to some terms and conditions just to use their applications. If France is anything like that, he probably agreed to something that limits Uber's liability. Maybe even agreed that Steve Jobs could turn him into a human centipede.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:52 pm

Woman who won lottery to sue lottery for ruining her life:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 76356.html
She said she had become bored of relentless consumption and felt like it failed to offered long-term genuine happiness. Before winning the lottery, Ms Park, who now owns two properties, worked as an admin temp for £8 an hour and lived in a small flat with her mum in Edinburgh.

“I thought it would make it 10 times better but it’s made it 10 times worse. I wish I had no money most days. I say to myself, ‘My life would be so much easier if I hadn’t won’,” she told the Sunday People.

“People look at me and think, ‘I wish I had her lifestyle, I wish I had her money.’ But they don’t realise the extent of my stress. I have material things but apart from that my life is empty. What is my purpose in life?”
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:59 pm

I'll take the existential crisis of her hands, she can just deposit all her moneys in my account.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:36 am

Anaxagoras wrote:I don't know if this one is stupid or just weird.
It's France, so I really have no idea about the laws there.
Dunno about the laws, but I searched for a more informative article: nope. There are dozens of them, but all are copypasta from some Urtext, nothing new.
Best guess it's fake: the plaintiff is never named, even the location remains very vague (and journos love to pinpoint the city, so it has an echo in local press and they can "illustrate" with a meaningless stock photo, e. g. the courthouse).

:dunno:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:37 am

Grammatron wrote:I'll take the existential crisis of her hands, she can just deposit all her moneys in my account.
And the funny thing is, she says too much money is her problem, so she is suing for what? More money?

Then again, the Independent is starting to look more and more like Fake News because they took "she is debating whether to sue" and changed it to "she is planning to sue". Also she would give the money to charity if she won, which they don't mention. Doesn't sound like she has talked to a lawyer. Still a funny story even without the added bullshit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... 0aa2eb3767
The first thing Jane Park bought after winning 1 million British pounds in the EuroMillions lottery in 2013 was a Louis Vuitton handbag.

Then a chihuahua named “Princess.”

Then some shoes.

Then a purple Range Rover and a pair of breast implants.

And then 50 more designer handbags.

“I just went shopping all the time,” the Edinburgh native told the Channel Four Television Corporation.

Then something curious happened: Buying things for the sake of buying things got old. Instead of finding happiness via conspicuous consumption, Park uncovered an age-old maxim preached by holy men for thousands of years and ignored by enthusiastic lottery winners for almost as long: Money can't buy happiness, and large amounts of it have a way of, well, complicating things.
. . .

Park said she thinks that 18 — not 16 — should be the minimum age for winning the lottery. The Daily Record reported that Park is debating whether to sue Camelot — the company that owns EuroMillions — for negligence and donate any potential winnings from that legal action to charity.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:29 am

Someone discovered that a 2x4 isn't actually 2x4 and now they are suing:

(Did anyone here not know that?)

Home Depot, Menards face lawsuits over lumber size description
MILWAUKEE — Two home improvements stores are accused of deceiving the buyers of four-by-four boards, the big brother to the ubiquitous two-by-four.

The alleged deception: Menards and Home Depot (HD) market and sell the hefty lumber as four-by-fours without specifying that the boards actually measure 3½ inches by 3½ inches.

The lawsuits against the retailers would-be class actions, filed within five days of each other in federal court for the Northern District of Illinois. Attorneys from the same Chicago law firm represent the plaintiffs in both cases. Each suit seeks more than $5 million.

“Defendant has received significant profits from its false marketing and sale of its dimensional lumber products,” the action against Menards contends.

“Defendant’s representations as to the dimension of these products were false and misleading,” the suit against Home Depot alleges.
A class action suit. I wonder whose idea this was, the plaintiff(s) (it's a "class") or the law firm?

Imagine if they did succeed. It would drive up the price of lumber, we'd have to cut down more trees, the lumber would be heavier and if it's not structurally necessary, it's just waste. New houses would cost more, etc.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:41 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Someone discovered that a 2x4 isn't actually 2x4 and now they are suing:

MILWAUKEE — Two home improvements stores are accused of deceiving the buyers of four-by-four boards, the big brother to the ubiquitous two-by-four.

The alleged deception: Menards and Home Depot (HD) market and sell the hefty lumber as four-by-fours without specifying that the boards actually measure 3½ inches by 3½ inches.

The lawsuits against the retailers would-be class actions, filed within five days of each other in federal court for the Northern District of Illinois. Attorneys from the same Chicago law firm represent the plaintiffs in both cases. Each suit seeks more than $5 million.

“Defendant has received significant profits from its false marketing and sale of its dimensional lumber products,” the action against Menards contends.

“Defendant’s representations as to the dimension of these products were false and misleading,” the suit against Home Depot alleges.
A class action suit. I wonder whose idea this was, the plaintiff(s) (it's a "class") or the law firm?

Imagine if they did succeed. It would drive up the price of lumber, we'd have to cut down more trees, the lumber would be heavier and if it's not structurally necessary, it's just waste. New houses would cost more, etc.
This is a loser. The suit confuses the rough green size with the nominal size.
https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc ... b_6409.pdf
And about 150 years of evolution of the standard in the lumber market.

So they need to include every lumber maker in the world in their suit.

ed

Post by ed » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:51 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Someone discovered that a 2x4 isn't actually 2x4 and now they are suing:

As I recall from my days as a lumberjack, the dimensions are those of green wood, before drying.

eta whoops, I see Rob answered this. Ill leave my answer because it is better.
- new minimalist ethos -

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:53 am

The law firm must have a theory though about how this will put money in their pockets. Do they think they have enough of a case that these companies will offer a settlement just to make them go away and stop bothering them?
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:08 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:The law firm must have a theory though about how this will put money in their pockets. Do they think they have enough of a case that these companies will offer a settlement just to make them go away and stop bothering them?
https://topclassactions.com/tag/home-de ... n-lawsuit/
It appears they are used to going to court. But usually for valid reasons. I don't think they'll settle.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:03 pm

On going to Lowes website, this is what I find

Home Depot lists it in the specifications
Common: 2 in. x 4 in. x 8 ft.; Actual: 1.5 in. x 3.5 in. x 96 in.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:59 pm

Maybe the lawyer isn't taking it on contingency.

Maybe the poor aggrieved sucker, after having been told it's a loser by other more ethical lawyers, still wants JUSTICE!
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:09 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Maybe the lawyer isn't taking it on contingency.

Maybe the poor aggrieved sucker, after having been told it's a loser by other more ethical lawyers, still wants JUSTICE!
I'll be a bit honest and say that most folks don't know of that difference until they do their first DIY project. Still, when one says 2x4 and another hears 2"x4", that's their fault. Imagining dimensions where none exist.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:35 pm

Ron is on the side of Big LumberTM? :o

:cry:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale