Scotch Whiskey thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Scotch Whiskey thread

Postby sparks » Wed May 24, 2017 3:29 am

A friend of mine says someone just gave him a bottle of Tamnavulin double cask. Anyone here tried it? Looks as though if one were to buy it in the UK, it would go for 22 a bottle. By the time it gets to the States (USA!USA!) it's more like 150! Just wonder if it's worth it before I make the investment.

Cheers... :spewingdrink:
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Scotch Whiskey thread

Postby Doctor X » Wed May 24, 2017 3:37 am

"Sláinte": pronounced "slan-cha."

--S.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Witness

Postby Witness » Wed May 24, 2017 3:45 am

sparks wrote:Tamnavulin double cask

Noted. I'll be at my favorite whisky bar this evening, and if they have it in stock I'll give it a go. :LagerLouts:

(I recently splurged for a 1981 Bas Armagnac – contrary to cognac they can have a vintage – as birthday gift for a lady born that year. How come the same bottle gets more and more expensive?!? :P )

Witness

Postby Witness » Wed May 24, 2017 3:48 am

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri May 26, 2017 3:47 am

No luck: no "double cask". I can give you my opinion on the "22 years", but that's not the thread subject… :mrgreen:
(And RIP the armagnac.)

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Fri May 26, 2017 10:38 am

I used to like Armagnac far more than cognac. Though there appeared to be a very bright line between cheap and expensive Armagnac that did not seem apparent with Cognac. That is to say that the quality of Cognac seemed to improve in a linear fashion with price whereas Arg. was shit until you got to the expensive stuff.
- new minimalist ethos -

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Fri May 26, 2017 12:30 pm

See that Seagram's Crown Royal just left of center? Dad had several of those hidden away somewhere. Vintage 1964.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Fri May 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Witness wrote:Image

No luck: no "double cask". I can give you my opinion on the "22 years", but that's not the thread subject… :mrgreen:
(And RIP the armagnac.)

Impressions and opinions please!

sparks

Postby sparks » Fri May 26, 2017 3:15 pm

Pyrrho wrote:See that Seagram's Crown Royal just left of center? Dad had several of those hidden away somewhere. Vintage 1964.

My Dad was a big fan of Crown Royal. Too damned sweet for me. :BlowChunks:

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri May 26, 2017 3:20 pm

Just never got into scotch.

A long time ago, I worked for an auction house. One time, we got our hands on someone's bar (private bar they would have in their house). We could sell the bar itself, but lacking a liquor license we couldn't sell the booze in it. But it was some expensive hooch so rather than toss it, the guy that ran the place let us, his flunkies, divvy it up among themselves. One of the things I managed to get was a bottle of 30 year old scotch (Don't remembrer the brand), which I saved for my 30th Birthday...

I have siphoned gasoline and accidentally swallowed a bit. I think that tasted better. I hate scotch
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

sparks

Postby sparks » Fri May 26, 2017 3:33 pm

Doctor X wrote:"Sláinte": pronounced "slan-cha."

--S.D.

Can this be obtained here in the USA!!USA!! ?

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri May 26, 2017 3:34 pm

sparks wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:See that Seagram's Crown Royal just left of center? Dad had several of those hidden away somewhere. Vintage 1964.

My Dad was a big fan of Crown Royal. Too damned sweet for me. :BlowChunks:

But the little bags it comes in are perfect for carrying dice to a D&D game.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

sparks

Postby sparks » Fri May 26, 2017 3:36 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Just never got into scotch.

A long time ago, I worked for an auction house. One time, we got our hands on someone's bar (private bar they would have in their house). We could sell the bar itself, but lacking a liquor license we couldn't sell the booze in it. But it was some expensive hooch so rather than toss it, the guy that ran the place let us, his flunkies, divvy it up among themselves. One of the things I managed to get was a bottle of 30 year old scotch (Don't remembrer the brand), which I saved for my 30th Birthday...

I have siphoned gasoline and accidentally swallowed a bit. I think that tasted better. I hate scotch

You're right: Some Scotch's are downright nasty. Like bat urine strained through rotting eggs with a touch of kerosene.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri May 26, 2017 4:37 pm

Sláinte

Tá fáilte romhat.

Lig do scíth

--S.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

sparks

Postby sparks » Fri May 26, 2017 5:34 pm

Appreciate it, but I've a weeks work to do before the end of the day.

But when I finally get home tonight--
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Sat May 27, 2017 2:10 am

sparks wrote:Appreciate it, but I've a weeks work to do before the end of the day.

But when I finally get home tonight--

How come it's signed by that guy from the Eurythmics?
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

sparks

Postby sparks » Sat May 27, 2017 2:43 am

BWAHAHAHA...

Doctor X

Re: Scotch Whisky thread

Postby Doctor X » Sat May 27, 2017 5:19 am

Balvenie is an old favorite.

--J.D.

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Sat May 27, 2017 4:47 pm

Rotgut. And, similar to the worm in tequila, does "Double Wood" mean there's two penises in each bottle?
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

sparks

Postby sparks » Sat May 27, 2017 9:28 pm

Penises in my Scotch? Sounds like a country-western song...

Return to “Banter”