Pyrrho!

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Pyrrho!

Postby sparks » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:19 pm

Oh, I see: If Listy gets a new hot water heater, then you just have to have a new hot water heater too, eh?
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:26 pm

Eh, I got a package deal with the furnace installation. Plus it will be installed by professionals instead of the hack job I did last time.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:46 pm

Warming up in here, Boss.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:11 am

Mansplain to me why water pressure would be lower after the new water heater was installed. All the valves are fully open.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:14 am

Pigtails on the water heater are smaller than the old one? How's the cold water pressure? If it's as robust as it used to be, then I bet that's it. If not, then: Other.

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:22 am

Had this kind of arrangement before.

Now it's straight pipe. Diameter the same.

Would tank dimensions make a difference? New one is 40 gal like the old one, but it's shorter and wider.

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:23 am

No pressure tank, tho.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:45 am

Pyrrho wrote:Mansplain to me why water pressure would be lower after the new water heater was installed. All the valves are fully open.

One of them isn't.

Or now that I think about it, the plumber may have put in a [lower] pressure regulator. Your city may require it on new work.

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:52 am

Another angle...if the tank had been crudded up from 10 years of well water, could that cause higher pressure from the tank? The guy did say that the old tank seemed light to him and it didn't want to drain right away. Asked if we'd been getting hot water.

Me, I dunno.

sparks

Postby sparks » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:07 am

A mystery. Installation you've got now is a pip. Looks real good, clean.

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:31 am

We'll see if the pressure relief valve on the new one opens overnight.

sparks

Postby sparks » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:37 am

Nah. All new. It'll be fine.

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:48 am

I'm wondering if I set the temperature too high when I had to relight the pilot light on the old one.

OH WELL, it's gone now, so that's that.

Until the inspector comes and tells us we need to install a phlogiston regulator.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:35 am

Pyrrho wrote:Another angle...if the tank had been crudded up from 10 years of well water, could that cause higher pressure from the tank? The guy did say that the old tank seemed light to him and it didn't want to drain right away. Asked if we'd been getting hot water.

Me, I dunno.

Is it only the hot water that has low pressure?

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:56 am

Seems that way. Could be imaginary. I'm gonna get a pressure tester from Home Depot to see what the static line pressure is.

Yup, the pressure relief on the NEW hot water tank was dripping water, not gushing water, while one of the kids was taking a shower, which I don't understand, because why would there be back pressure while water was being released?

I probably did not need a goddamn new water heater but it was 10 years old so what the hell, I'm stuck with this now.

I suppose I will have to pay another several hundred dollars that I do not fucking have to for a pressure reducer valve installed (they didn't) and/or a pressure overflow tank or whatever they're called. I set the hot water tank thermostat to "Hot" from "A" to see if that lower temperature solves the problem. I doubt it. "Hot" is allegedly 120 degrees F. "A" is 128.

I blame the backflow preventer that was installed on Monday.

I am tired. Going to sleep here, Boss, and not in the prone position, either.

Witness

Postby Witness » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:59 am

Shit comes in bursts. :(

Pyrrho wrote:I set the hot water tank thermostat to "Hot" from "A" to see if that lower temperature solves the problem. I doubt it. "Hot" is allegedly 120 degrees F. "A" is 128.
Don't put it too low, Legionella survives up to 50 °C (122 °F).

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:21 am

Set to "Hot" seems to have stopped the relief valve problem. I will raise it a bit for that legionella business. My mom had that once and it was no picnic.

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 pm

...and in the 17 DAYS!!!! :HoppingMad2: department...apparently I was supposed to call Cleveland Water for another inspection of the newly-installed backflow preventer...so today we got a 3 DAYS SHUTOFF NOTICE FOR NONCOMPLIANCE, with a checkmark next to "backflow device installation/inspection"

So they will inspect it tomorrow. If it passes, on Wednesday they will install the goddamn water meter.

If not, then I got to call the plumber again and have them get it right...for more $$$ no doubt.

Calling the furnace/water heater company tomorrow to ask when or if their work has to be inspected and by whom. Can't leave anything to chance.

Then I will apply for a night job at Walmart.
Last edited by Pyrrho on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:02 am

Have you considered calling a plumber? I know that's an odd question but there it is.

Hey! I know a guy. His name is Guido. He works in your area. He also takes book. Want his number?
Last edited by Rob Lister on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:06 am

Have been. The guy who installed it is certified to install it and and test it and supposedly he was also supposed to submit paperwork to this outfit:

https://www.bsionlinetracking.com

Only plumbers who are certified and "on the list" can do this work. I am smart enough to keep my hands and wrenches off of these here pipes.

Return to “Banter”