Pyrrho!

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Pyrrho!

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:07 am

Be brave.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:30 am

Yeah well...I did get pretty good at changing out sump pumps every couple of years.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:22 am

Hey Pyrrho, do you know about Linndale, the "speed trap masquerading as a town"?

It's in Cuyahoga County so I figure maybe you've heard about it. Was recently featured on This American Life.

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-he ... fe-episode
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Papa Lazarou

Post by Papa Lazarou » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:29 am

This is just a saga now.
Hello DAVE! I got some pegs belonging to you.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:30 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Hey Pyrrho, do you know about Linndale, the "speed trap masquerading as a town"?

It's in Cuyahoga County so I figure maybe you've heard about it. Was recently featured on This American Life.

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-he ... fe-episode
Indeed I do. Will send you a PM.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:20 am

Pyrrho's basement (artist's view).

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:22 pm

Backflow device passed inspection! Tomorrow, the water meter gets installed.

A pot to piss in, etc.
:fishing: :sharkbait: :titanic: :shark: :flush:

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:25 pm

So all of this was because you didn't like well water?

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:41 pm

Since the construction of new sewer lines, the well water is no longer potable. The contractors cut into the acquifer.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:13 pm

Pyrrho wrote:Since the construction of new sewer lines, the well water is no longer potable. The contractors cut into the acquifer.
I gotta admire that you ran the connection yourself but you should really find the engineer that fucked up your well and have a talk with him.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:04 am

I will call them up and give them a good talking to.

615 mg/L total dissolved solids

24.65 mg/L Calcium
1.11 mg/L Iron
0.27 mg/L Manganese

Good for what ails you.

No chlorine or fluoride, though, so my precious bodily fluids will now have to take their chances.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:17 am

"Mandrake..."

"Yes Jack?"

:shock:
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:08 pm

LOL...the County was supposed to notify the Cleveland Water Division that the sewer line was connected, so that the CWD would also bill for sewer. The County did not do that and although I've been getting water bills I haven't been billed for sewer. I called the local city hall and they told me to call CWD. I called CWD and they told me to call the local city hall.

:flush:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:52 pm

Is the sewer not working or are you merely in a position of not paying?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:34 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Is the sewer not working or are you merely in a position of not paying?
Sewer is working just fine AFAIK.

They have not been billing me. I figured I had better get their minds right so that at some point in the future I won't be charged thousands of dollars in retroactive billing.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:51 am

The Kafka sewer. :roll:

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:47 am

Yes...it will be listed on the bill as

(1) Water charges: $XX.XX
(2) Local charges: $XX.XX

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:03 am

Goddamn sump pump is running every 3 minutes. Lot of rain lately and I am hoping it's that and not that the water line is leaking somewhere. I think what's happening is that water is just naturally entering the sewer line trench that terminates against the foundation. Hope that in a few months when I can have the yard landscaped properly the drainage will be better. Still, I'm getting some chlorine test strips to make sure the water entering the sump pit is not from the water line. If it is, fortunately it's upstream of the water meter, but it would still mean another dig and repair. Pretty sure they ran a continuous 1" copper line to the street, no couplings outside my wall, so...I dunno.

Basement has always been prone to water seeping in. Old house built in a "simpler time."

Where they ran the new sewer drains through the wall seeps and drips when it rains. I'll have to try to patch it with hydraulic cement from the inside.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:26 am

Pyrrho wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:Is the sewer not working or are you merely in a position of not paying?

They have not been billing me. I figured I had better get their minds right so that at some point in the future I won't be charged thousands of dollars in retroactive billing.
You are a more honest man than me. If a cash register person hands me back too much change I will tell them because I know they will catch shit at the very least when their cash register comes up short. This has happened to me before. But if a large impersonal bureaucracy forgot to send me a bill, I think I would just pretend not to notice. Does that make me a bad person?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:47 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:

You are a more honest man than me. If a cash register person hands me back too much change I will tell them because I know they will catch shit at the very least when their cash register comes up short. This has happened to me before. But if a large impersonal bureaucracy forgot to send me a bill, I think I would just pretend not to notice. Does that make me a bad person?
I had to pay the local municipality hundreds of dollars in fees to get a permit. I get that fee refunded if and only if I present a bill showing that the sewer charge has been paid. They do that to make sure the connection work actually gets done. Sure. Yeah.

Like I said, I also didn't want them to "discover" the error ten years down the road and have them demand back payment.