Hunting

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Hunting

Post by sparks » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:10 pm

"Not a true sportsmen". And illegal in some States.

I have touched off nuisance deer with a twelve gauge. Yes, it does kill them. If they're in your fucking swimming pool. But not if they're 300 yards away. And in a thicket. Or co-joined to the dark side of the Phorce. :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:20 pm

My injun blood allows me to get within a foot of the beasts. I generally slit their throat, they don't know what hit them.
- new minimalist ethos -

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:42 pm

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:33 pm

sparks wrote:
WildCat wrote:So here's
Shotgun. Looks similar to a Remington model Eleven Hundred. Great shotgun. One does not hunt deer with a shot gun. But I'm sure you will provide the appropriate expla-rationalization....

In 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...
It's a Mossberg 500, 12 gauge with a rifled barrel and a plug in the magazine. Not even close to a Remington 1100, which is semi-auto. Similar to a Remington 870 though. The only legal firearms for deer in Illinois are:
Deer Hunting
Legal Firearms

Shotguns, loaded with slugs only, of not larger than 10 gauge nor smaller than 20 gauge, not capable of firing more than 3 consecutive slugs; or
Single or double barreled muzzleloading rifles of at least .45 caliber shooting a single projectile through a barrel of at least sixteen inches in length; or
Centerfire revolvers or centerfire single-shot handguns of .30 caliber or larger with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches.

Legal Ammunition

For shotguns and muzzleloading firearms, the minimum size of the projectile shall be .44 caliber. A wad or sleeve is not considered a projectile or a part of the projectile.
For handguns, a bottleneck centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger with a case length not exceeding 1.4 inches, or a straight-walled centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger, both of which must be available as a factory load with the published ballistic tables of the manufacturer showing a capability of at least 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. Note: There is no case length limit for straight-walled cartridges.
Non-expanding military style full metal jacket bullets cannot be used to harvest white-tailed deer; only soft point or expanding bullets (including copper / copper-alloy rounds designed for hunting) are legal ammunition.

Additional Muzzleloading Restrictions

A muzzleloading firearm is defined as a firearm that is incapable of being loaded from the breech end.
Only black powder or a "black powder substitute" such as Pyrodex may be used. Modern smokeless powders are an approved blackpowder substitute only in muzzleloading firearms that are specifically designed for their use.
Percussion caps (shotgun primers are legal), wheellock, matchlock or flint type ignition only may be used, except the Connecticut Valley Arms (CVA) electronic ignition shall be legal to use.
https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/pa ... ition.aspx
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:42 pm

Mossberg.

Nice.

Fid

Post by Fid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:32 pm

ed wrote:Slugs or ... get ready for it ... Buckshot.

2 bucks if you can tell us why it is called "Buck" shot.
I'm guessing that at some point folks were not averse to plucking lead pellets out of their food.
"Try SCE to AUX."
Yeah, me and an electrified atmosphere ain't friends.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:07 pm

ed wrote:Slugs or ... get ready for it ... Buckshot.

2 bucks if you can tell us why it is called "Buck" shot.
It's a Germanic term meaning a whale's vagina

Are you trying to start a flamewar or something?
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 40&start=0

Fid

Post by Fid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:14 pm

That was a fun read :)
"Try SCE to AUX."
Yeah, me and an electrified atmosphere ain't friends.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:32 am

Fid wrote:I'm guessing that at some point folks were not averse to plucking lead pellets out of their food.
Some places have seen so much hunting, and ducks feed in the bottom sludge, so that (e. g.):
Non-Toxic Shot

Lead is a toxic substance that can harm humans, wildlife and the environment. The most common lead poisoning in birds is considered to be the result of ingestion of spent lead shot used for waterfowl hunting. Therefore, the use of lead shot for duck hunting is prohibited throughout Victoria. This includes duck hunting on all wetlands, waterways and dry lands on public and private land.
http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/education/fac ... toxic-shot

RCC: Act II

Post by RCC: Act II » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:38 am

I'd never hunt, but I'm a fan of venison and not hitting deer with my car, so I'm glad people like it. Firing a gun is on my anti-bucket list of things I'm trying to not do before I die.

I thought about going deer hunting with an '84 chevette, but I understand there are limits to how much you want to tenderize deer meat.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:58 pm

So I'm trying again this year, this time I drew a permit for the Green River State Wildlife Area. It's much flatter than Castle Rock, and much less wooded. It's basically a restored natural prairie, like the whole state was before it was all plowed under in the 1800s. There's scattered plots of woods, and there's trails which makes getting around much easier. Scouted it for the first time a few weekends ago and found lots of deer sign, even spooked a young deer from a bed when I walked within 5 feet of it. I'll go a few more times before the season to locate as many areas as possible to ambush Bambi.

Picked up a new shotgun today, a 12 gauge Mossberg 535 field/deer combo. Very similar to the one I borrowed for last year's hunt only it can also accept 3 1/2" shells. But not sure I'd ever shoot those, the recoil from a 3 1/2" slug is about the same as a .458 Winchester. The 2 3/4" slugs are painful enough! Comes with 2 barrels - a 24" rifled barrel for sabot slugs and a 28" ventilated rib barrel with a set of 3 chokes for everything from doves to turkey and geese. Much more flexible than my old shotgun, which couldn't even shoot steel shot.

sparks

Post by sparks » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:27 am

ETA: Have fun.

And yes, get gored by wild hogs. You know you want it. :)

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:41 am

sparks wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:27 am
ETA: Have fun.

And yes, get gored by wild hogs. You know you want it. :)
Ha, no wild hogs up here. Rumor has it some were found in the southern tip of the state.

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/conservati ... Swine.aspx

sparks

Post by sparks » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:53 pm

Just the same, be careful out there and enjoy yourself.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:07 pm

Don't shoot your eye out
- new minimalist ethos -

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:31 pm

WildCat wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:41 am
Ha, no wild hogs up here.