And now, Louis C.K.

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

And now, Louis C.K.

Postby Bruce » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:03 am

You know...there's a lesson being taught among the latest media craze.

The lesson is this.

If a young man does something inappropriate that offends you, don't call him on it right away. Nobody cares if a nameless average Joe perv does something awful.

Just wait.

Wait until he builds his carrer. Wait until he has money, a wife, kids, a house. Wait until the whole world knows his name. Wait until his career has reached it's peak.

And then let him have it.

There is no better way to destroy a person's life with so little effort.

Just sit back and watch the whole world come to your rescue. Watch as women you don't know come out of nowhere with even juicier stories. Watch as Womens rights activists attack anyone who questions your story. Watch as the news casters and talk show hosts line up in front of you for interviews.

And watch as a man's whole life collapses in a single day.

Guilty or not, Louis CK is finished. The trend has already been established. If you are accused on the internet, then you are guilty.

I can't even bear to read the details because I like Louis CK. Cosby was bad enough to deal with, and I could really give a shit about Spacey and the others, but I really enjoyed CK's comedy. Kills me to see him go down so quickly.

With that, I'm putting CK into the celebrity dead pool. He doesn't seem like the kind of person who's going to stick around and wait for the conviction.
Such potential!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: And now, Louis C.K.

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:56 am

And now, I no longer give a shit. It wouldn't be Louis C.K. if he didn't occasionally pull out dick and masturbate. I can hardly hold that against him.

So, all you ladies coming out and #ME TOOing, fuck you.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:42 am

Bruce wrote:I can't even bear to read the details because I like Louis CK.

That's the hard thing, though. To not be a hypocrite we can't really treat it differently depending on whether it's somebody we like vs. somebody we already hated, or were indifferent to.

Fwiw, I like Louis, too. A lot. Still doesn't make what he's accused of OK.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:25 am

These stories have been surrounding him for years. Comedians joke about it.

No one did anything until now.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Mentat

Postby Mentat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:23 am

If you don't want your career as a public figure to get ruined by this stuff, here's a little theory our finest minds have developed: Don't do that stuff.

Also, don't put all your cards in being a celebrity. That ride ends sooner or later anyways.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:20 am

Anaxagoras wrote:[
Fwiw, I like Louis, too. A lot. Still doesn't make what he's accused of OK.

You see there? Now you're going to have to add that sentence every time you laugh or say anything positive about CK.

Eventually, you will have to watch CK alone, in the dark, in the middle of the night, with the volume turned down, and sure enough, someone is going to walk into the room and say "OMG! What are you doing? I didn't know you supported getting naked and wacking your pud in front of people, you sick-ass weirdo! I'm telling mom!"

You laugh, but just try watching anything Cosby today. Go on, try it. Has anyone reminded you that he drugged and raped women? By the way, Cosby drugged and raped women, you know. Everyone knew he drugged an raped women, and no one said anything. If you watch Cosby, it's like saying you support drugging and raping women. Do you drug and rape women? Do you support people who drug and rape women? And awful sweaters? And dancing like you're having an epileptic seizure ?

Are there any other nice things that I enjoy that are about to be ruined forever? That sounds like a question for Sparks. :P
Such potential!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:11 am

Bruce wrote:Are there any other nice things that I enjoy that are about to be ruined forever? That sounds like a question for Sparks. :P

Are you a fan of Mozart? Picasso? Countless other famous historical artists?

They all had their flaws to be sure. Their dirty little secrets.

I think the solution is to separate the art from the artist. Once the artist is dead and gone, we can again appreciate the art for it's own sake. :notsure: Er, maybe we don't have to wait till they're dead. :P

I hope Louis CK isn't drummed out of polite society, that would be a shame. A person is not the worst thing they ever did. If that were the case, we would all be pariahs. (but there should be some accountability)

I think this #Me Too thing is a fad that won't last, can't last forever. The pendulum will swing the other way sooner or later. I started to think maybe it's gone too far when ex-president Bush who is in a wheelchair was called out for groping women. But maybe we need a moment like this just to make it clear (or remind people) that that sort of behavior isn't really OK.

I guess what I'm saying is that I have mixed feelings.
William Shakespeare

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:23 am

Merely masturbating?

Not very presidential.

Jeebus: So many idiots and so little ammo. If they keep shooting themselves at this rate, there'll be none left for the Allah Foolz.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:48 am

Meanwhile he had a movie that was supposed to be premiering today, but that's been cancelled and it isn't clear when it will be released.

http://imdb.com/title/tt7264080/
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:43 am

You will take care of his movie. We'll add it to the cost of Mr. Spacey. Now get some rest. The premier will be ready for you on Friday. If I see you or any of your friends before then, Brigit Jones' Diary will find herself the victim of a most gruesome violation before she dies. As indeed will your father, The Empire Strikes Back, Mr. Hockney, and your Uncle Buck in Arizona, Mr. Kint. I might only castrate Mr. McManus’s nephew, Harry Potter.

Do I make myself clear?

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

gnome

Postby gnome » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:52 pm

Looking from another side, I wonder if it's particularly hard (even if it were desirable) to rehabilitate the career of a stand-up or what I shall call "vehicle" actors-- which is to say their personality is part of what they are marketing. If something they've done affects public perception of them, it's like an athlete losing a leg. Or perhaps cutting off their own leg. The analogy's starting to slip. But I think you get my point.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:57 pm

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Wake me when he gets out of rehab and is a new man and stuff.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:10 pm

Well he wrote a statement. At least he is not pulling a victim card.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/louis-c-k-a ... 202205889/

I want to address the stories told to the New York Times by five women named Abby, Rebecca, Dana, Julia who felt able to name themselves and one who did not.
These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn’t a question. It’s a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly.
I have been remorseful of my actions. And I’ve tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now I’m aware of the extent of the impact of my actions. I learned yesterday the extent to which I left these women who admired me feeling badly about themselves and cautious around other men who would never have put them in that position. I also took advantage of the fact that I was widely admired in my and their community, which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried because people who look up to me didn’t want to hear it. I didn’t think that I was doing any of that because my position allowed me not to think about it. There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with.
I wish I had reacted to their admiration of me by being a good example to them as a man and given them some guidance as a comedian, including because I admired their work.
The hardest regret to live with is what you’ve done to hurt someone else. And I can hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought on them. I’d be remiss to exclude the hurt that I’ve brought on people who I work with and have worked with who’s professional and personal lives have been impacted by all of this, including projects currently in production: the cast and crew of Better Things, Baskets, The Cops, One Mississippi, and I Love You Daddy. I deeply regret that this has brought negative attention to my manager Dave Becky who only tried to mediate a situation that I caused. I’ve brought anguish and hardship to the people at FX who have given me so much The Orchard who took a chance on my movie. and every other entity that has bet on me through the years. I’ve brought pain to my family, my friends, my children and their mother.
I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want. I will now step back and take a long time to listen.
Thank you for reading.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

gnome

Postby gnome » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:55 pm

That ought to slow down the downvotes on the Master Feed.

Serious response:

This (so far as I can tell right now) is what a real apology looks like. It doesn't fix it, but at this stage a lot of people make it worse and I don't think he did.

Cynical response:

He had some really competent PR coaches.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:16 pm

As I have stated, these allegations have been the subject of jokes and comments from other comedians for years, though none of them actually did anything about it. So denial would not have worked. He started contacting victims aback in 2015 to apologize.

As for his apology: perhaps his PR finally learned from the Clintons, Pitino, Boggs, Bryant, Manning, Sandusky and Paterno, Cosby, Weiner, [Get on with it!--Ed.] that the cover-up and further attacks on victims really does not help.

--J.D.
Last edited by Doctor X on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:21 pm

Well it is at least an acknowledgment that makes no excuses, and that often makes a difference to the victims.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:27 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Bruce wrote:I can't even bear to read the details because I like Louis CK.

That's the hard thing, though. To not be a hypocrite we can't really treat it differently depending on whether it's somebody we like vs.... somebody we already hated, or were indifferent to.

Doesn't bother me, especially if the persons is a Serial Masturbator. One expects if from CK. I noticed in his apology there were several references to Hard and Firm and rigid and stiff.

I made that up.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:53 pm

I edited my work since, thus far, there is no evidences that Princess James ever molested, raped, or exposed himself to another man, woman, child, or aardvark. It seems that being an Entitled Douche-Bag is still not illegal in Trump's America!

--J.D.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:13 pm

I never showed a woman my dick without asking first

Here's a question though, if this was consensual then where's the problem; At what point is the consent given real consent?
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Return to “Banter”