And now, Louis C.K.

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Captain
Title: Captain

Re: And now, Louis C.K.

Post by Captain » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:01 pm

shuize wrote:
His own statement pointed out something super important--that sometimes there is more going with the consent issue than the immediate question of agreement. It's more obvious in cases of employer-employee or a formal power imbalance, but even informally -- he had a certain power in that situation and exploited it to wedge in consent. It may not be illegal but he did take advantage and he was right to apologize for it.
I understand consent may not be freely given due to a power imbalance (e.g. Presidents and White House interns, etc.). But I'm also having a hard time equating Louis C.K. asking two women to his hotel room and then asking them if he can take his dick out (weird though it sounds) to anything like "pardon me while I attempt to rape you while you sleep ... It's okay, I'm gay," Kevin Spacey is alleged to have done.

In my opinion, if the women were free to leave, it doesn't seem like it should amount to a career ending offense.
Welcome to SC...you'll fit in real good...unless you get rabbit in your blood...
You run one time, you got yourself a set of chains. You run twice you got yourself two sets. You ain't gonna need no third set, 'cause you gonna get your mind right.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:18 pm

shuize wrote:if the women were free to leave
Were they? That is the problem with a power imbalance, "free to leave" is something a slimey defense attorney (sorry CH) would claim. I think it depends on circumstances.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

shuize

Post by shuize » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:48 am

ed wrote:Were they? That is the problem with a power imbalance, "free to leave" is something a slimey defense attorney (sorry CH) would claim. I think it depends on circumstances.
I guess my biggest issue would be whether he waited long enough to give them a chance to say “No” before whipping it out.

I’m not really convinced by the “power imbalance” argument in this case.

Was Louis C.K. so famous 15 years ago that he could have ruined their careers for not agreeing to watch him jerk off?

Besides, comedians are an odd bunch. Maybe they were willing. How’s he supposed to know if he doesn’t ask?

Carr
Title: Floor Walker

Post by Carr » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:13 am

[youtube][/youtube]

I hope you won't be a hard case.
Any man who don't keep order spends a night in the box!

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:32 am

shuize wrote:
You're arguing against Louis himself if you aren't convinced of the power imbalance issue.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

shuize

Post by shuize » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:06 pm

gnome wrote:You're arguing against Louis himself if you aren't convinced of the power imbalance issue.
No doubt Louis C.K. is much more media savvy than I am, too.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:06 pm

shuize wrote:
ed wrote:Were they? That is the problem with a power imbalance, "free to leave" is something a slimey defense attorney (sorry CH) would claim. I think it depends on circumstances.
I guess my biggest issue would be whether he waited long enough to give them a chance to say “No” before whipping it out.

Was Louis C.K. so famous 15 years ago that he could have ruined their careers for not agreeing to watch him jerk off?

Besides, comedians are an odd bunch. Maybe they were willing. How’s he supposed to know if he doesn’t ask?
Thinking about it a bit more ... if the individual perceives a power imbalance it is sorta like the left demanding that colleges or government make them "feel safe". You are then dealing with personality issues, not a reality that can be dealt with by government except in the most nightmarish 1984 ways.

If one can stand up and walk and one does not, after fair warning, then I am inclined to think that it is on them. As the trope goes: "you have to advocate for yourself". And our colleges are certainly not creating citizens with balls.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:25 pm

In a case like this, I don't think it is a matter of authorities to resolve. It can still be wrong and he was correct to apologize, and it can still affect how marketable his personality is. No enforcement required.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

shuize

Post by shuize » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:58 pm

All things considered, this Louis C.K. clip made me laugh:

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:31 pm

Louie CK wrote:What's the worst that can happen, after all.
Bravo.