Eccentric = crazy + money

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Eccentric = crazy + money

Postby Bruce » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:34 am

I live in a neighborhood that is peppered with rich people, but they are clearly not "old money". These people are either the uncultured relatives of wealthy families, or lottery winners, or people who suddenly struck it rich and have no idea what to do with their fortune. I can fill a whole thread with such stories, but I'd like to focus on today's winner.

Like most of my neighbors, I don't know this guy (thankfully). He lives a few doors down from me. Like many in this neighborhood, he owns a humble one-story house, keeps his lawn nice a pretty, and holds an occasional back yard barbecue for his relatives. Nice guy, I'm sure. Something must have happened. I don't know what, but I had to pause my walk and take a picture of his current....uh....project.

What I saw was insane. It defies logic. I had to rationalize it somehow. During the rest of my walk, I dreamed up a plausible scenario to explain it......................

Thank you for choosing Eddy's contract construction. What can we do for you, sir?

My brother was the guy that invented the FleshLite. In just a few days, he went from closet pervert to filthy rich closet pervert. Personally, I hated the guy, but so did everyone else. For whatever reason, he left his fortune to yours truly. Now I'm just a simple, humble man. I don't need no swimming pools or hot tubes, but I've always wanted a two-story house with a basement. Sadly, my wife passed away a few years ago, and I have a lifetime of memories in my little house that I don't want to let go, so here's my plan. I want to make my current house into the second floor of my new house, and I want you to build my new house right here.

Oh, sir. Really, I sympathize with your loss, and understand, but I can't recommend what you're planning. You see......you live just down the road from the east coast. The ground under your house is very near the bedrock. Your basement is likely going to flood during the next heavy rain. Also, this house is very old and wouldn't likely survive the...

Here's your check.

.......whoa............thy will be done, sir. Thy will be done.

eccentric.jpg

I don't know how they did it, but this is pretty impressive. Must have taken at least 6 very powerful jacks. They somehow dug under the house, placed criss-crossed I-beams under the house to stabilize it, lifted it up by one story..........and here's where shit gets crazy........they placed the whole thing on top of 4x4 wooden blocks that are stacked like Jenga blocks. The ground that they excavated is much larger than the house, so this guy must want a huge basement. I really don't see how they can possibly complete this project before the next snowstorm or rain storm. Either one could bring this thing down.

On the plus side, I really need to take walks more often, and this gives me some motivation. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Such potential!

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Re: Eccentric = crazy + money

Postby ed » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:28 am

Feeling better then?
- new minimalist ethos -

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:34 am

ed wrote:Feeling better then?

Yes, thanks.

I can taste the leftovers at least. :)
Such potential!

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:21 pm

It's still there. Looks exactly as it did a month ago.

Do you suppose he ran out of money? Maybe he died? Is this house going to stay like this indefinitely? Are some drunk college student going to play high stakes Jenga one night?

:Popcorn:
Such potential!

Return to “Banter”