Traffic light stops

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Traffic light stops

Postby Rob Lister » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:57 pm

Do you line up bumper-to-bumper when approaching a traffic light? Though driver training groups say it's a no-no likely to increase one's risk of a collision, researchers at the Virginia Tech College of Engineering say it's a "widely accepted" practice based on the idea that "the closer a car is to a traffic light, the more likely that car will be to pass through the intersection before the light turns red again." The science behind that: Well, there isn't any. After recording footage of 10 volunteer drivers at traffic lights, researchers say in a release that those who stopped close to cars in front of them, and therefore closer to traffic lights, gained no advantage over drivers who stopped at a distance of up to 25 feet, because the former group had to establish space before accelerating once the light turned green.

The research, published in the New Journal of Physics, also confirmed that tailgating leads to more rear-end collisions. "When my father was teaching me how to drive, he told me that to prevent an accident, you should stop so you can easily see the rear bumper of the car in front of you at a traffic light," says researcher Farzad Ahmadi. But "I've never done that until I analyzed the data of this experiment." It shows "there's no point in getting closer to the car in front of you when traffic comes to a stop," adds study co-author Jonathan Boreyko. In other cases, it does pay to get close, however. A similar experiment performed using pedestrians found "the closer people got to each other, the faster they could empty the line" since humans can accelerate "very quickly," Boreyko says.
http://www.newser.com/story/252188/your ... wrong.html

They are wrong. They do not consider the kindness of the drivers to not block the other lanes if possible. I'm turning left but the dedicated left lane is almost full. I try my best to get as far forward as possible so yet another car can get in without blocking the left-straight lane. Likewise on the left-straight lane, I try to pull as far forward so as not to block the left-turn lane.

This is what happens when kids do science. Get The Fuck Out Of My Yard!

Anaxagoras

Re: Traffic light stops

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:01 am

In New York City I remember that often the traffic would at times be backed up from the red light all the way back to the next intersection. It could cause a situation where despite there being a green light, you can't even safely cross the intersection because the traffic is backed up all the way to the intersection. So yeah, that's another reason to not leave a full car length between you and the car ahead of you.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:07 am

ages ago Bruce posted a diagram that showed the perfect traffic gridlock. I which I could find it.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:27 am

Anaxagoras wrote:In New York City I remember that often the traffic would at times be backed up from the red light all the way back to the next intersection. It could cause a situation where despite there being a green light, you can't even safely cross the intersection because the traffic is backed up all the way to the intersection. So yeah, that's another reason to not leave a full car length between you and the car ahead of you.

This happens in LA as well. The culprits in that scenario are people who block the intersection instead of waiting at the light. The traffic then backs up due to blocked intersections. If everyone obeyed the rules of the road everything would actually flow smoother.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:58 am

It's always a delicate dance, maintaining stopping distance yet keeping the gap small enough to prevent some yahoo from changing lanes to get in front of you.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:54 am

Pyrrho wrote:It's always a delicate dance, maintaining stopping distance yet keeping the gap small enough to prevent some yahoo from changing lanes to get in front of you.

On one hand.

On the other hand people do need to get over into other lanes for legitimate reasons.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Return to “Banter”