The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: The UK thread

Post by Witness » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:15 am

Novichok: Amesbury poisoning couple 'had high dose'

Mother-of-three Dawn Sturgess, 44, died on Sunday evening after falling ill in Amesbury on 30 June.

Her partner, Charlie Rowley, 45, who was also exposed to the nerve agent, remains critically ill in hospital.

Police are continuing to hunt for a contaminated container which they believe was handled by the pair.

The BBC understands Mr Rowley's flat in Amesbury is regarded as the key location in the search. A team wearing hazmat suits is combing the small flat, working in 30-minute shifts because of the heat.
[…]
Mr Javid said scientists had not yet been able to determine if the nerve agent in the latest poisoning was from the same batch as that used earlier this year in Salisbury.

Russian former spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia fell ill after being poisoned with Novichok in Salisbury. Ms Skripal was discharged from Salisbury District Hospital in April, and her father in May.

A police officer, Det Sgt Nick Bailey, was also left seriously ill after responding to the attack on the Skripals and spent nearly three weeks in hospital.

Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, the head UK counter-terrorism policing which is leading the investigation, said he was "unable to say" if the incident in Amesbury is linked to the poisoning of the Skripals on 3 March - but it is their "main line of inquiry".
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44768229

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:39 am

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:46 am

They do go together.

What?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:04 pm

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:28 am

asthmatic camel wrote:Image
That picture is incredible all by itself, without the profanity sign:
– the dude on the left (what is he, Grand Space Admiral?) has no waistline and his trousers are visibly, albeit slowly, sliding down;
– poor Melania is either badly shopped, or genetically engineered for big hips and long legs at the cost of microtorso;
– the Donald, showing the doddering Queen the birdie soon to come out of the photographer's camera, obviously likes his pants two sizes too wide (there is a French expression for that, "bande à l'aise") or is just not able to afford a competent tailor;
– Her Majesty, sadly, gets slowly crushed by her formal hat, presumably a cast iron artifact religiously handed down from her ancestors since the industrial revolution.

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:42 am

I’m surprised the queen is carrying a handbag. Surely she has someone to do that for her?

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:47 am

She can't part with the nuclear button. :P

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:52 am

I figured she was hiding her bling in there after being told that Donald might try and grab her Crown Jewels.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:52 am

She likes to hit the "darkies and wogs" when she passes them in the gardens for her exercise.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

AL East Champs!!

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:25 am

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:09 pm

For oldtimers ( :mrgreen: ):
Cliff Richard: BBC bosses 'should carry the can'

Senior BBC managers have to "carry the can", Sir Cliff Richard has said, after winning his privacy case over the coverage of a police raid on his home.

A High Court judge said the BBC had infringed the singer's privacy rights in a "serious and sensationalist way".

Sir Cliff was not arrested or charged over the historical child sex claim and told ITV News: "If heads roll then maybe it's because it was deserved."

The BBC said journalists acted in good faith and it is considering an appeal.

The judge, Mr Justice Mann, awarded Sir Cliff an initial £210,000.

He rejected the BBC's case that its reporting of South Yorkshire Police's raid of Sir Cliff's flat in Sunningdale, Berkshire, in August 2014, which included footage filmed from a helicopter, was justified under rights of freedom of expression and of the press.
[…]
Describing the court's decision as an "enormous relief" and "incredibly emotional", Sir Cliff said his intention behind bringing the case was not to curtail press freedom.

"I want a correction made to what happened to me and it was made, nobody said anything about freedom of speech but I will fight to the death against the abuse of the freedom of speech, what the BBC did was an abuse. They took it upon themselves to be judge, jury and executioner."

He went on to call for people to have the right to anonymity until they are charged.
[…]
BBC director of editorial policy and standards David Jordan said resignations were "not necessarily the right response to every mistake that every journalist makes in a news organisation".
[…]
He [the judge] also said while the case could have a "significant impact on press reporting", it did not mean the law was changing or that he was setting a precedent - because the Human Rights Act already covers the issues at stake, namely the right to privacy versus right to freedom of expression.

He awarded Sir Cliff £190,000 damages and an extra £20,000 in aggravated damages after the BBC submitted its coverage of the raid for an award.

The BBC must pay 65% of the £190,000 and South Yorkshire Police, which carried out the raid, 35%.

South Yorkshire Police had earlier agreed to pay Sir Cliff £400,000 after settling a claim he brought against the force.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44878903

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:09 am

David Davis brands use of child spies ‘morally repugnant’

Theresa May’s spokeswoman defends practice revealed by House of Lords committee
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ing-street for detail.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:28 am

Gaffe as civil service magazine prints poster telling parents to shoot rabid children

A leaflet warning about rabies from the satirical dystopian town of Scarfolk was published in Civil Service Quarterly.
https://news.sky.com/story/gaffe-as-civ ... n-11443626

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:32 am

UK snooping 'unlawful for more than decade'

The system that allowed spy agency GCHQ access to vast amounts of personal data from telecoms companies was unlawful for more than a decade, a surveillance watchdog has ruled.

The Investigatory Powers Tribunal said that successive foreign secretaries had delegated powers without oversight.

But it added there was no evidence GCHQ had misused the system. [Ha ha!]

Privacy International criticised the "cavalier manner" in which personal data was shared.

The group brought the legal challenge and solicitor Millie Graham Wood said it was "proof positive" that the system set up to protect personal data was flawed.

"The foreign secretary was supposed to protect access to our data by personally authorising what is necessary and proportionate for telecommunications companies to provide to the agencies.

"The way that these directions were drafted risked nullifying that safeguard by delegating that power to GCHQ - a violation that went undetected by the system of commissioners for years and was seemingly consented to by all of the telecommunications companies affected."

Under security rules introduced after the attacks on 11 September 2001, the UK's foreign secretary had the power to direct GCHQ to obtain data from telecoms companies, with little oversight of what they were subsequently asking for.
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44936592

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:45 am

I'd forgotten about Scarfolk. :)

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:18 pm

British Jewish Newspapers join in headlines to condemn the Anti-Semitism of Mad Uncle Jeremy and the Labour Party.

So . . . asthmatic . . . if you Vote Labour, you not only get lice:

you Help Hitllter!:

--J.D.

P.S.
"The stain and shame of anti-Semitism has coursed through Her Majesty's Opposition since Jeremy Corbyn became leader in 2015," the papers say.

Labour veteran Dame Margaret Hodge confronted Mr Corbyn in the Commons last week, reportedly swearing at him and calling him an anti-Semite.

Speaking to BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg, the MP said she "blew my top" when she found out Labour had, despite criticism, written its anti-Semitism guidelines in such a way.

"And I thought rather than do what politicians usually do, and talk each other down behind our backs, I would go and confront him," she added.

AL East Champs!!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:26 pm

Googled it.

Thank you AC. :)

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:19 am

KRH = King's Royal Hussars. Yep.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:11 pm

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:14 pm

The hedge was asking for it by looking like that.

Soon such a hedge will not be allowed. :MuhammadBoom:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale