The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The UK thread

Post by Doctor X » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:26 pm

It almost seems as if the Anti-Europe/Pro-Brexit groups were not on the same page together in figuring out the alternative.

Heavens to Betsy.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:21 am

North of England continues to see bigger cuts in public spending, report finds

Government spending in north fell £6.3bn while rising by £3.2bn in south, thinktank says

Government spending in the north of England has fallen by £6.3bn while the south-east and south-west of England have seen an increase of £3.2bn since 2009-10, according to an analysis of official figures.

Andy Burnham, Labour mayor of Greater Manchester, called on ministers to place northern England at “the front of the queue for public investment” after the north-south divide was highlighted in a report on Wednesday.

The study, by the thinktank IPPR North, found that the north of England continued to see bigger cuts in public spending than any other region.

Spending per head in London has increased by twice as much as spending in the north – £326 per head in London, compared with £146 per head in the north – since the launch of George Osborne’s “northern powerhouse” initiative in 2014, the report found.

Burnham said: “Almost five years after the government promised us a northern powerhouse, we learn that public spending in the north has fallen while rising in the south. This has got to stop and it is time that the north came to the front of the queue for public investment.”
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... are_btn_tw

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:57 am

And spending on new York public transport is outpacing north Dakotas transport spending.

Think (if people analysed the spending) it would probably be a non story. (I.e. things cost more in expensive big capital cities)

Note: two items specifically mentioned as driving up costs in London were public transport and national arts spending.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:44 am

Doctor X wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:26 pm
It almost seems as if the Anti-Europe/Pro-Brexit groups were not on the same page together in figuring out the alternative.

Heavens to Betsy.

--J.D.
It's always easier to get a coalition of people who are against something. But even though they are all against whatever it is, they may all have very different ideas about what they want instead.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:22 am

Giz wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:57 am
And spending on new York public transport is outpacing north Dakotas transport spending.
What about per capita?

My guess is North Dakota might just have the most.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:02 am

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:54 am

Gram's 'ad 'er.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Giz

Post by Giz » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:32 pm

"The travel company TUI has refunded a couple for their holiday after hotel staff at a Jamaican resort left an effigy of their dead son in their room as a misguided tribute.

Faye and Andrew Stephens, from Willesden, have made it an annual tradition to mark the birthday of their son. Alex Stephens, a promising 22-year-old footballer, died after falling from a balcony while on holiday in Spain in 2014.

His godmother, Karen Baker, who was on holiday with the couple, had asked staff at the five-star Royalton Resort to surprise them with balloons and cake in their bedroom to mark the day.

The hotel workers instead created an effigy of Alex by stuffing the couple’s clothes with towels and arranging it on the bed. The figure had tears on its face and a can of lager in its hand and was positioned next to petals spelling out: “We miss you Alex"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... s-dead-son

(Pic of "tribute" at link. Idiots)

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:13 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:54 am
Gram's 'ad 'er.

--J.D.
I thought what I did with your mother would remain a private matter.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:54 pm

You signed the release.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:37 am

Giz wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:32 pm
"The travel company TUI has refunded a couple for their holiday after hotel staff at a Jamaican resort left an effigy of their dead son in their room as a misguided tribute.

Faye and Andrew Stephens, from Willesden, have made it an annual tradition to mark the birthday of their son. Alex Stephens, a promising 22-year-old footballer, died after falling from a balcony while on holiday in Spain in 2014.

His godmother, Karen Baker, who was on holiday with the couple, had asked staff at the five-star Royalton Resort to surprise them with balloons and cake in their bedroom to mark the day.

The hotel workers instead created an effigy of Alex by stuffing the couple’s clothes with towels and arranging it on the bed. The figure had tears on its face and a can of lager in its hand and was positioned next to petals spelling out: “We miss you Alex"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... s-dead-son

(Pic of "tribute" at link. Idiots)
Wow. But whoever did that obviously put considerable effort into it. They must have thought it was a good idea. Cultural thing maybe? Is this a thing in Jamaica?
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:53 am

Tory MP suggests using possible 'no-deal' food shortages in Ireland to drop the backstop

AS UK PRIME Minister Theresa May has just five days to try to rally support for her Brexit deal, a Tory MP has suggested using the possibility of food shortages to Ireland in the event of a no-deal Brexit to encourage the EU to drop the backstop.

A government report, leaked to the Times of London, has indicated that there could be food shortages in Ireland in a no-deal Brexit scenario, and the economic impact on Ireland would be worse than in the UK.

This is based on the large number of food exports from the UK to Ireland (more than half of the total food imported to Ireland comes from the UK). In the event of a no-deal, trade rules would revert to those used by the World Trade Organisation (WTO), but the UK would have to apply to become a member of the WTO to implement them.

[…]

According to today’s article, the UK government report has indicated that there would be a 7% drop in GDP for Ireland, while the equivalent for the UK would be a drop of 5%.

Tory MP Priti Patel has told the paper that these warnings should have been used as leverage against Ireland to encourage them to drop the backstop.

[…]

Patel resigned as International Development Secretary last November after holding 12 meetings with Israeli groups and officials outside the proper protocol.

Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon reacted to the story, saying that “The sheer moral bankruptcy of the Tory Brexiteers is on full display today.”
https://www.thejournal.ie/brexit-threat ... 8-Dec2018/

Ye good olde Irish famine. :mrgreen:

Giz

Post by Giz » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:05 am

It is fine for the EU to play economic hardball. It is very bad form for the UK to follow suit.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:07 am

I kind of doubt that even a "no deal" Brexit would lead to famines.

Sure, certain items might be in short supply for a while, but alternative goods will be available.
William Shakespeare

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:46 am

We fly in foodstuffs from all over the world when harvests are poor in Europe. Much of it comes from the USA. It's more expensive, but not excessively so.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:50 am

USA!USA!USA!

--J.D.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:31 am

For example, the lettuce harvest was poor in Europe this year, so we imported a lot from the USA. The price went up from around 50p to 80p. OK, that's a fair increase but how many lettuces do most people eat in a week?

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:47 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:07 am
I kind of doubt that even a "no deal" Brexit would lead to famines.
Dude! That was just a snarky comment!

Dog shit bin in Rochdale park to be named after Nigel Farage in New Year’s Honours list

A new dog waste bin being installed in Mandale Park is to be named after Nigel Farage, according to plans allegedly leaked by a Rochdale council employee.

The ‘Nigel Farage Dog Waste Bin’ will be revealed in the New Year to commemorate the ex-UKIP leader’s contribution to Brexit. It is understood that a short unveiling ceremony will be held to coincide with Nick Clegg being knighted by the Queen. The bin, which will be painted yellow and purple, is to be fitted with an ashtray and pint-holder to celebrate Farage’s links to the ‘man on the street’, whilst a bronze number ‘7’ on the lid will honour the number of occasions on which he selflessly failed to be elected as a member of Parliament.

The move was apparently prompted by Israel’s plans to name a new train station after US President Donald Trump, following his decision to recognise Jerusalem as the country’s capital. Critics have suggested that it would be more appropriate to name a train crash after Trump instead, though how this would be implemented in practical terms remains unclear.

The council employee responsible for the leak, who has asked to remain anonymous, told the Herald that the new bin would be larger than previous models to accommodate a much greater volume of smouldering faeces.
https://rochdaleherald.co.uk/2017/12/29 ... ours-list/

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:49 pm

It's an editorial by Max Boot in The Washington Post about the riots in Paris and people on the internet being meanies.

But it belongs in the UK thread because ...

In France and online, extremists put centrism to the torch

I was struck by how many versions of the same criticism were repeated by anonymous trolls, and it made me wonder if Russian bots were involved. When I suggested as much in a tweet, I earned a rebuke from the right-wing British conspiracy-monger Katie Hopkins, who has lost her Mail Online column but retains 882,000 Twitter followers: “The world thinks you are a cockwomble, sir. If you are looking for someone to blame -- find a mirror darling.” I have no idea what a “cockwomble” is, but it doesn’t sound like a compliment. The irony is that some of the Twitter accounts scoffing at my questions about bots had so few followers that they might be bots themselves.

Looks like Max Boot reads Twitter, but is stymied when a quick recourse to Google would do the trick.

Image Hey Max! "Cockwomble" is English English for nudnik. :mrgreen:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:02 pm