The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Re: The UK thread

Post by ed » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:09 pm

The only thing government has any business commenting on is if its illegal.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Giz

Post by Giz » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:19 am

Grammatron wrote:Maybe we should bring some freedoms back to UK.

They need something to fill their time while they ignore:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun ... ctims/amp/

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:01 am

Politics Home wrote:Labour question Theresa May's vow to stand up to Russia amid Tory funding revelations

Russian oligarchs have registered donations of more than £820,000 to the Tories since Theresa May took over in July 2016 according to The Sunday Times.

The news comes after the Prime Minister pledged “action” against the Russian state if it was found to be responsible for the poisoning of former spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter, Yulia.

The paper found at least £253,950 came from Lubov Chernukhin, the wife of a former Moscow minister and a previous donor in September, while businessman Alexander Temerko, a former senior figure in Russia’s defence industry has handed the party £148,000 since 2016.

Overall the Tories have reportedly received more than £3m from Russian-linked tycoons, their companies and lobbyists since the coalition government came to power in 2010.
https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... -vow-stand

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:41 pm

National Trust apologises to Cornish after appearing to endorse putting cream on scones first

The offending image, published on the Lanhydrock House and Garden Facebook page, shows jam served on top of clotted cream. CREDIT: NATIONAL TRUST
Must be a joke, right? Oh, no, no, no, no. This is serious business.
The rivalry between Devon and Cornwall over the correct order of cream and jam on a scone is one of the country’s fiercest disputes, and locals are expected to know where their side stands.

A National Trust property in Cornwall therefore prompted understandable outrage after it advertised cream teas for Mother’s Day - with a photograph showing the cream being spread before the jam.

The advert, from Lanhydrock House and Garden, has been called “unacceptable”, “shocking” and “disgusting”, with some Cornish people threatening to cancel their memberships.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:59 am

Which two mighty powers have, as I was going to tell you, been engaged in a most obstinate war for six-and-thirty moons past. It began upon the following occasion. It is allowed on all hands, that the primitive way of breaking eggs, before we eat them, was upon the larger end; but his present majesty’s grandfather, while he was a boy, going to eat an egg, and breaking it according to the ancient practice, happened to cut one of his fingers. Whereupon the emperor his father published an edict, commanding all his subjects, upon great penalties, to break the smaller end of their eggs. The people so highly resented this law, that our histories tell us, there have been six rebellions raised on that account; wherein one emperor lost his life, and another his crown.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:12 am

Reminiscent of the Great Stilton Cheese row, (we take these things seriously.) Stilton cheese, a great favourite, may not be sold as such when it is produced in the village of Stilton, from which it gets its name.
Stilton is an English cheese, produced in two varieties: Blue, known for its characteristic strong smell and taste, and the lesser-known White. Both have been granted the status of a protected designation of origin by the European Commission, which requires that only cheese produced in the three counties of Derbyshire, Leicestershire, and Nottinghamshire and made according to a strict code may be called "Stilton". Thus cheese made in the village of Stilton which is now in Cambridgeshire (from where its name was derived in the 18th century) could not be sold as "Stilton".
:)
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:54 am

--J. "I Don't Care How Fucking "Runny" it is!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:39 am

:?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:55 am

I can't tell if it's pro-conformity or supposed to be mocking conformists.

Probably the latter.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:38 am

Anaxagoras wrote:I can't tell if it's pro-conformity or supposed to be mocking conformists.

Probably the latter.
Probably.

https://www.channel4.com/news/transport ... gn-spoofed

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:08 am

Ah, a "good manners" campaign usurped by pranksters.

Japan also has some posters in trains encouraging the passengers have good manners.

William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:06 am

Someone has got to have made one about not having sex on a train.

Being Humble--Yet MagNIfIcent--I searched and found cartoon versions of the anti-"chikan"--ちかん--or "molester" posters. Warnings about this, I am sure you know, exist.

The problem is I fortunately checked where they came from: Stormfront and a number of no one in particular and generic racist fucktard sites. After five of them I gave up. I do not know if the Japanese Original colored the chikan but, there you go. Black figure smiling as he gropes a girl to the horror of watching "not black" riders.

Somethings . . . how they go missed.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

AL East Champs!!

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:59 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:I can't tell if it's pro-conformity or supposed to be mocking conformists.

Probably the latter.
Probably.

https://www.channel4.com/news/transport ... gn-spoofed
Maybe a bit of both? Like how Americans argue on facebook about pineapple on pizza like it's a serious issue. It isn't, but it's fun to pretend it is. It also provides an opportunity to release some harmless outrage which is not 100% made up, just understood to be frivolous.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Indeed, given only fags would put a pineapple on pizza.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:44 am

Good job, I couldn't find any source.
:figamagee:

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:06 am

Spoiler:
Shropshire Star wrote:Ironbridge Power Station petition goes global as people in America and France join the fight to save the station's iconic towers

The process of taking down the towers with controlled detonations is due to begin proper in Spring 2018.

Mr Morris said he was determined to put a stop to the plans by persuading the company to look at other options. He said: “They’re going to need two years and two million pounds to knock them down – why not spend a million and make it into a visitor’s attraction? Those towers are a part of Ironbridge history.

“We might not win but we have to try.”
https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/loc ... ic-towers/

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:26 am

The Daily Fail wrote:Yes, sir! Former soldiers to get £40k bursaries to retrain as teachers in a bid to restore discipline in UK classrooms

Former soldiers will get £40,000 bursaries to retrain as teachers in a drive to restore discipline in the classroom, the Government has announced.

From September, all ex-servicemen and women will be able to apply for the money to do a teaching degree as long as they have the relevant A-levels.

The Department of Education hopes the veterans will bring a fresh perspective to their schools.

It means children could be taught by heroes from some of our most gruelling recent conflicts, including Afghanistan and Iraq.

The bursaries will be available for those who want to teach biology, chemistry, computing, maths or modern languages – subjects with teacher shortages.

Education secretary Damian Hinds said: ‘Our ex-servicemen and women … have a wealth of experience and expertise that can be shared in the classroom, teaching pupils the knowledge they need to succeed alongside vital skills, such as leadership and self-discipline.’

Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson added: ‘Through leadership, teamwork and problem-solving, veterans are ideally suited for a career in teaching once they leave the Armed Forces.’
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... drive.html

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:12 am

You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:33 am

The Guardian wrote:Post-Brexit passports set to be made by Franco-Dutch firm

The post-Brexit blue passport will not be produced by the British firm that makes the current burgundy version, with sources suggesting the contract will be awarded to a Franco-Dutch firm instead.

Changing the colour is regarded by some Brexiters as a powerful symbol of Britain’s restored sovereignty.

But the British firm De La Rue has lost out on the contract to make them, its chief executive confirmed on Thursday morning. It is understood that Gemalto, which is listed on the French and Dutch stock exchanges, won the race for the £490m printing job.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s Today programme on Thursday morning, the chief executive of De La Rue, Martin Sutherland, challenged the prime minister or the home secretary to “come to my factory and explain my dedicated workforce why they think this is a sensible decision to offshore the manufacture of a British icon”.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... dutch-firm

The irony! :lmao:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:12 am

No irony at all. Brexit doesn't mean an end to international trade.

It just happens that an EU member underbid Mexico and Taiwan. :BigGrin3:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale