Loss of friends

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
gnome

Re: Loss of friends

Post by gnome » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:45 am

Can we can the "never ever" baloney? Nobody's arguing it, let it drop, please.

How might we go about determining how big of a problem it is? I reject that we must simultaneously claim ignorance and assume it's massive.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:05 am

gnome wrote:Can we can the "never ever" baloney? Nobody's arguing it, let it drop, please.

How might we go about determining how big of a problem it is? I reject that we must simultaneously claim ignorance and assume it's massive.
How big does it have to be before you'd support efforts to prevent it?

What was the margin of victory in Wisconsin? Michigan? Pennsylvania? Florida in 2000?

The fact is even a few hundred votes can swing a national election.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:53 am

Grammatron wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:Do we have evidence that "Millions of illegal aliens have fake SS cards, and thus work under fake names" or is this another unquestioned article of faith?
We do.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood ... 24a6584c04

https://www.treasury.gov/tigta/auditrep ... 1061fr.pdf
That is not evidence of fake SSNs or fake names.

But yes it is evidence of criminal activity.
How is this not evidence of fake SSN
What we learned is that ... the IRS continues to process tax returns with false W-2 information and issue refunds as if they were routine tax returns, and say that's not really our job. We also learned the IRS ignores notifications from the Social Security Administration that a name does not match a Social Security number, and you use your own system to determine whether a number is valid."
It's odd that the IRS Commissioner is not quoted in that story even though the headline is "IRS Admits It Encourages Illegals To Steal Social Security Numbers For Taxes". The bit you quoted is Sen. Dan Coats, R-Ind.

I read the PDF file. It's not about fake SSNs, there's a different number used by the IRS called an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) which is not a SSN, but which illegal immigrants who work in the US can use to file tax returns. That's what that report is about. The thing is, apparently, people who file tax returns using an ITIN generally get back more in refundable tax credits than they pay in income taxes. I think they might be leaving payroll taxes out of that equation though. :notsure:

The debate seems to get clouded by activists on both sides of the debate who misleadingly cite certain statistics that support their case while leaving out other ones that run counter to their chosen narrative. Here's what the other side says, and they seem to be leaving out important information too:

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... es/499604/

They focus on payroll taxes (Social Security taxes) without mentioning income taxes (net taxes after refundable tax credits) whereas that other report focuses on income taxes without mentioning payroll taxes. There's also state and local taxes, sales taxes, etc., that they might pay but leave that aside.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:00 am

The question was, is the claim of: "Millions of illegal aliens have fake SS cards, and thus work under fake names" valid?

The answer is yes.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:09 am

I'll accept it
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:44 am

I am unaware where I should place my Righteous Indignation.

Kindly advise.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:55 am

I can tell you, but first I need about $3.50

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:02 am

I will ask Your Mom for tree fiddy.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:39 pm

WildCat wrote:
gnome wrote:Can we can the "never ever" baloney? Nobody's arguing it, let it drop, please.

How big does it have to be before you'd support efforts to prevent it?

What was the margin of victory in Wisconsin? Michigan? Pennsylvania? Florida in 2000?

The fact is even a few hundred votes can swing a national election.
I would support efforts to prevent it. That does not mean I would support such an effort no matter what it was, nor would I support rhetoric that assumes without evidence that this occurs on a massive scale.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:42 pm

When it comes to illegal aliens voting, the only question is whether there is an active effort by Democratic Party officials on the national level to encourage it (which is what the Republicans are alleging).

Not whether or not it happens.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:21 pm

I've said that about how many times, that I don't question it occurs. I'm perplexed why it keeps coming up, unless you are trolling me :P

I think how much it happens is relevant as well.
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:02 am

Clarification of my position:

I am convinced there is an active effort by Democratic Party officials on the local level in populous corrupt Democrat run jurisdictions, to the point where any national coordination was deemed unnecessary.

Otherwise they would have tried a little harder in Cleveland.

Maybe next time. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:28 pm

Turns out that one can lose friends in all kinds of ways. Yesterday I went to visit one of my oldest friends, whom I hadn't seen in about a year other than some back and forth on Facebook. I knew the guy had some health problems over the last year but man, the guy just seemed to be a shadow of himself. Same friend I always remembered and have known since I was a geekling in my 20s, yet not. Made me kind of sad
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:29 am

Just reconnected with an old friend after an interval of about 30 years. After talking for about an hour or more I realized this old friend was lost to me. Not dying you see, but rather, I had changed so much, moved on if you will, while he has not.

He is still full of the crystal-jerking, trance channeling, conspiracy theory, ancient civilization, change is coming soon bullshit that we both enjoyed back then.

Now, I no longer buy the garbage, I recycle it into something useful.

"Jet fuel can't melt steel!" Indeed. He actually said that to me and cited the way the towers collapsed as PWOOOF and EVERYTHING that The Twin Towers was an inside job by the Government.

WTF? It'd have been easier to hear he'd died.

Fuck.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:59 pm

Ehh I have a buncha friends that go on about jet fuel and steel and free fall and WTC7, I start arguing facts with them and they give up for a while. Then I catch them doing the same later. Repeat. :)
--Soldier, TF2