Cobra Kai

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Cobra Kai

Post by Bruce » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:56 am

http://deadline.com/2018/03/cobra-kai-t ... 202349778/

I remember watching The Karate Kid. Back then, the Cold War was still a thing, bullies ruled the playground, and nerds were the underdogs. We all rooted for Danielson, and Mr. Miagi was the ass-kicking grandfather we never had.

But let's face it. The world has changed.

Nerds somehow became cool. Parents became overprotective bleeding-hearts. You can't take a peanut butter sandwich to school because at least one pansy-ass snowflake has a nut allergy. Seems like the world is loaded with hipsters, entitled douche-bags, baristas, car salesmen, hell, just an endless hoard of chuckle-heads who are just dying to have their asses kicked. And why aren't they getting their asses kicked? They deserve it. Why didn't someone punch the face of that Starbucks twat that insisted you say "grande" when you clearly asked for a medium coffee? Why didn't YOU? Hmmm?

Maybe we rooted for the wrong guy in Karate Kid. Let's look at it from the perspective of Johnny for a moment. Some baby-faced dork blew into town one day and started macking on his girl. Karate was the one thing that made Johnny special. Some old geezer tricked the new kid in town into doing all his chores for free and somehow learned in a few weeks of montage how to fight at a level that took Johnny years of training in a sweaty dojo operated by a psychopath. In one lucky shot to the face, his life was ruined. Then one day he wakes up on the floor to find his old nemesis rubbing his success in his face on the TV.

I'll admit it. This trailer really makes me want to root for Johnny.

In fact, I would love to see a scene where Johnny slams the face of a Starbucks clerk onto the counter and makes him accept his order for a medium coffee. Black. Yes, I said black. Because soy milk, whipped cream, and anything that dares call itself "organic" is for pussies. And I swear to god, if you're going to write my name on the cup that I'm taking into work, you better spell it correctly, or I'm pulling your underwear up over your head.

FINISH HIM!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by Bruce on Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Such potential!

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Cobra Kai

Post by Doctor X » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:29 am

I prefer the Japanese Original from where they got the idea:

though the music is probably better.

They were all happy to take part, and "Johnny" is a successful screenwriter I believe.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Post by Bruce » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:43 pm

Watching Karate Kid original with kids now. Having to pause every five minutes for a damn history lesson. What's a radio? How come it's so big? Why aren't they carrying phones? How come there's no Asian kids in this Southern California school? Is this really what kids did before smart phones and real video games? OMG, the hair, dad, THE HAIR! It's so dry and brittle and wiry and big and bushy. When was conditioner invented?

:cussing:

Kids don't need training to make you feel old. It's a gift they are born with. :evil:
Such potential!

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:02 pm

Timeline problems.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29669
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2