The Ripple Effect

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

The Ripple Effect

Post by Bruce » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:55 am

Every little thing that we do, no matter how small, can change the course of future events. Boggles the mind.

For exampl, I recall waiting in line at a Subway when I was 16, and there was this little girl sitting alone at a table and our eyes happened to meet. The typical action is to smile, but I wondered what would happen if I frowned instead....

So I did and she frowned back. I frowned harder and so did she. I crossed my arms and scowled and so did she. Her mother then sat down in front of me and she missed the whole exchange. She asked her daughter why she was making that face, and the girl angrily slapped the table. Her mother responded by slapping her really hard in the face. :o

Holy shit!

In rural Ohio in 1992, you could still slap your kid in public without getting arrested. I felt horrible, but there's nothing I could have said at that point to fix the situation. I still wonder to this day what trailer park she ended up in and if she slaps her own kids for frowning.

I also wonder what University she would have graduated from or what diseases she would have cured if I had smiled instead of conducting my little social experiment. :(
Such potential!

shemp
Title: gnat

Re: The Ripple Effect

Post by shemp » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:51 am

That little girl is now Melania Trump.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

In ancient Rome
There was a poem
About a dog
Who found two bones
He picked at one
He licked the other
He went in circles
He dropped dead

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:59 pm

"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

robinson
Title: Be good to each other

Post by robinson » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:06 pm

Bruce wrote:Every little thing that we do, no matter how small, can change the course of future events. Boggles the mind.
I know! I think about this before I post anything, knowing that once I post everything changes. But not posting is also a choice.
You never know what's going to happen

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:55 pm

Indeed it is.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.