Boys stuck in cave in Thailand

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: Some good news for a change

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:27 am

Will you SHUT UP?? Bloody peasants!! :x
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Some good news for a change

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:23 am

Look, I just want you to stay here, and make sure 'e doesn't leave.

--J. "Oh, Get a Glass of Water!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Anaxagoras

Re: Boys stuck in cave in Thailand

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:28 am

They are going to try to get them out today.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-44755452

It's not without risk, but neither is waiting for months during the rainy season.
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:36 pm

Word is that they have rescued 4 so far.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:07 pm

They are all out. :D
William Shakespeare

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:09 pm

So to speak...

Not that there ..is ...anything ...

And so on.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:26 pm

thai.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:19 am

This kind of explains why they were there in the first place. Apparently it's a cultural thing in Thai Buddhism. There's legends of gods or spirits that live in the caves and may grant favors if you go to pray to them. Supposedly the soccer team went in there to do just that, to pray to some local deity for victory or some such thing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... ng/564806/
I first visited Nang Non Cave in the rainy season of 2007 as part of my research. The name of the cave means literally “the cave of the reclining lady,” referring to a princess who, as the legend goes, committed suicide after she was forbidden to be with her commoner love. Her body became the mountains, and her genitals, the cave. She is now the ruler—the “jao mae”—of both.

The cave is enthralling. Its entrance is broad, like a cathedral door, and during the rainy season the humidity pours out of it like steam. It looks like the gateway to another world. In some senses, it is.

I started down the rocky descent toward the entrance, drawn in by its vast scale and emptiness. Only my companion, having heeded a sign forbidding entrance during the rainy season, called me back. I returned reluctantly. But retreating was the right move. As the schoolchildren found out, during the rainy season the water levels at tight spots in the cave can rise dramatically, trapping would-be explorers inside.

Afterward, I spent a great deal of time in other caves around the region, interviewing religious attendants and local guides about how people in the region understand the power of caves and other sacred sites, and what their role is in Northern Thai mythology.

Just south of Nang Non Cave and about an hour north of the city of Chiang Mai, the capital of Thailand’s northern region, is Chiang Dao peak. It is an impressive mountain, rising straight up from rice fields, with sheer drops on most sides. And, like many such mountains in the region, there is a cave that winds down into its heart.

Local chronicle and oral legend varies on the exact story of the place: Some say the cave was the home of demonic giants—“yaksha”—who were nonetheless ruled from within the cave by a noble king. Others have a noble ruler founding the kingdom of Lanna (Northern Thailand) and then retreating to the cave only to have his realm fall into disarray.

My favorite such story has a Northern Thai lord—Jao Luang Kham Daeng, the Lord of Burnished Copper—who was tricked into following a beautiful woman into the cave, where he was later devoured by the spirits within. However, in his death, according to one version, he became its ruler.

In each of these stories, the cave becomes the home of a powerful but sometimes dangerous spirit, who keeps the Northern Thai region safe, prosperous, and healthy so long as the spirit and the dangerous power of the mountain is respected.

It might be tempting to infer that Northern Thai caves, then, have little to do with Buddhism. But religion in Thailand and especially the North is, as scholars such as Pattana Kitiarsa, Erick White, Justin McDaniel and many others have pointed out, a blend of different influences: a belief in the power of particular people and places, a respect for Buddhist teachings, and a model of kingly power based on older Hindu traditions in the region.

The caves of Northern Thailand are places where these religious traditions blend: There are shrines to the Buddha, Hindu hermits, and the spirit lords of the mountain, all in the same space. These are not, as some might expect, three separate traditions. They fuse together, especially in cave legends.
William Shakespeare

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:16 am

What are the chances they take this as a sign from the gods to stop bringing GODDAMN KIDS into GODDAMN CAVES?

"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:43 am

Or so far into the cave.

So have they lined up the Angry Mob for the collective butt-kicking of the idiot coach?

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

AL East Champs!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:40 am

In Japan and America when kids go on field trips, or join a youth sports team, don't they usually get some sort of signed permission form from the parents first?

I'm guessing that something like that probably didn't happen here, but who knows. Maybe the parents agreed to this?
If not, if the coach just decided to take these kids on some kind of impromptu field trip without the knowledge or consent of the parents, he's fucked. But I would like to know a little more about what led to this terrible decision, and who else knew about it beforehand, besides the coach.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:44 am

With all sexual innuendo taken as "read," the internal map which shows just how "deep"--heh! heh! "deep!"--he lead them really makes me question his sanity.

Even without the water. There is a section so narrow a boy cannot fit through with an oxygen tank. That meant the coach said, "hey, force yourself into this really tight space that is longer than you are."

Whatever, easy to be a critic. He kept them all alive for weeks.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:55 am

Supposedly they were trapped closer to entrance but were forced to retreat deeper into the cave by the rising waters (?)

Maybe they went through that narrow part to escape the rising waters (?)

Still, that's why you're not supposed to go into the cave at all during the rainy season. Obviously he made a terrible decision even going in there in the first place. I'm just not totally sure that they went through that narrow part on a lark.
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:42 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:50 am

Pyrrho wrote:

Elon Musk, boy genius, but also a thin-skinned cunt:

Elon Musk calls British diver in Thai cave rescue a 'pedo' in baseless attack
The chief executive of the tech giant Tesla offered to assist the rescue mission by providing a submarine. The request was turned down. Musk lashed out on Sunday, saying he would make a video proving that his “mini-sub” would have been successful and adding: “Sorry pedo guy, you really did ask for it.”
Prove it with a video? Why not try to prove it by actually taking the sub into the cave? A video proves nothing.
On Sunday, when a Twitter user pointed out that Musk was “calling the guy who found the children a pedo”, the billionaire responded: “Bet ya a signed dollar it’s true.”

Intense criticism followed. Some Twitter users pointed out how “dangerous” and irresponsible it was to make such a serious allegation and to broadcast a potentially libelous insult to his 22 million followers.
If he has no evidence other than "I betcha he is", I'd say he could probably be sued for libelslander. And a billionaire kinda makes an attractive target to sue if you ask me.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:10 am