I really need to get out of my apartment more

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Nyarlathotep

I really need to get out of my apartment more

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:06 pm

So in a couple of weeks I am going to GenCon. Basically a huge gaming convention for those that are unaware of it. Been planning this trip for months and it is the far from the first one I have attended. I usually LOVE these things. I have a great time.

But this year, feels kinda different. Maybe because it's the first one since certain events happened, maybe its because it gets more crowded every year while I grow more crowd averse, maybe its just old age sneaking up on me, but this is the first time I can remember dreading it more than looking forward to it. The idea of leaving my apartment and going out and being with all those people, even to do something fun, just churns my stomach into a knot. I have a sad suspicion that this might be the last Con I ever attend. Possibly the last trip I ever take anywhere before becoming one of those weird shut ins people make fun of on the internet. Right now the only thing that keeps me from saying "fuck it" is that I have dropped a couple of hundred on badges and events for the Con itself and about a grand on airplane tickets

Talk me into it. Or out of it. Either way.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Grammatron

Re: I really need to get out of my apartment more

Post by Grammatron » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:21 pm

Have you ever not had a good time at GenCon?

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:26 pm

Not so far. Been going every two or three years since the 90s. Always had a blast.

And I realize this, that's why sitting here wishing I could cancel my plane tickets because the idea of going freaks me out strikes me as weird when I think about it

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:36 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Not so far. Been going every two or three years since the 90s. Always had a blast.

And I realize this, that's why sitting here wishing I could cancel my plane tickets because the idea of going freaks me out strikes me as weird when I think about it
That is weird, but beyond anything I can say to help with that. But, I think once you get passed that emotional block you will have a great time like you usually do :)

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:39 pm

I hope so

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:12 pm

Better to go, and wish you hadn't, than not to go, and wish you had.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:32 pm

Pyrrho wrote:Better to go, and wish you hadn't, than not to go, and wish you had.
Yes but you can't tell it to people who experience something horrible by going, like those who went to see Battlefield Earth in theaters.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:47 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:Better to go, and wish you hadn't, than not to go, and wish you had.
Yes but you can't tell it to people who experience something horrible by going, like those who went to see Battlefield Earth in theaters.
At least they have a story they can use to frighten small children.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:46 pm

In the short term I suggest a sort of rule of thumb--if you're worried you won't enjoy something that you used to, do it anyway until you actually don't enjoy it twice in a row. Once could be a fluke. Twice might mean the experience has changed or you have changed enough that you might consider whether to continue.

If it's not an expensive or effort-intensive thing like traveling to a con, you might give it three or four times before you decide there's a pattern.

And if you do decide to stop one form of regular socializing or in general being around people in some way, make a deal with someone close to you to lightly pester you to seek another kind that you might enjoy more. I think you have a person near you up to that challenge, yes?

In the long term it sounds like the part of you that seeks fun experiences is being attacked by a part of you that wants to be a shut-in. Don't get me wrong, there's lots to enjoy about solitude, comfort, and routine... just don't let it win all the way, ya know?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:40 pm

gnome wrote:In the short term I suggest a sort of rule of thumb--if you're worried you won't enjoy something that you used to, do it anyway until you actually don't enjoy it twice in a row. Once could be a fluke. Twice might mean the experience has changed or you have changed enough that you might consider whether to continue.
My Mom was wondering why you started crying.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:51 am

I think I figured out the problem. Or at least part of it

GenCon has 60,000 attendees, give or take. Carson City has a population of about 55,000. That means GenCon is essentially the entire population of my city plus another entire small town all shoved into one big building.

That's fuckin' crazy

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:26 am

Just did a little research and, for reference, the first year I went the attendance was about 20,000

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:08 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:But this year, feels kinda different. Maybe because it's the first one since certain events happened, maybe its because it gets more crowded every year while I grow more crowd averse, maybe its just old age sneaking up on me, but this is the first time I can remember dreading it more than looking forward to it.
Same here. I've become allergic to crowds & noise (never was a big fan, but now I just can't stand it), and as a lot of people seem to think that's part of the fun, I go elsewhere/do other things.

One can call it "old age", or it's just wear on our tolerance for assholes.

Perhaps you can recalibrate your interests to still have fun in the wild. Worked for me. :wink:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:17 am

I think you should definitely go. You've already bought tickets.

But if you don't enjoy it, then maybe don't go next year.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:00 am

Besides . . . boobs!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:23 pm

Hey, I just found a picture of the first GenCon

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:29 pm

The beginnings of the Republican party.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:58 pm

@donhertzfeldt
i am so excited to announce that i will once again not be anywhere near the san diego comic con

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:06 pm

I have never been to San Diego Comicon. Always put off by the fact that going to San Diego in July sounds almost appealing as going to Vegas in July. I tend to spend my entire summer wishing it was winter anyway. Not going to someplace even hotter.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:08 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:I have never been to San Diego Comicon. Always put off by the fact that going to San Diego in July sounds almost appealing as going to Vegas in July. I tend to spend my entire summer wishing it was winter anyway. Not going to someplace even hotter.
It's actually very nice there in July because it's right on the water.

The cost and the absurd oceans of people is a huge put off though.