Sweet rides

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
xouper

Re: Sweet rides

Post by xouper » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:39 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:07 pm
I can't imagine being that touchy about my choice of car, but the I've got a VW New Beetle.
Nothing wrong with that car. I know people who have one and I don't ridicule them for it.

I shouldn't need to say this, but apparently it needs saying: It's not my choice of car I'm touchy about. I'm touchy about the gratuitous attacks on my character, as you did several times. Dipshit.

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
So, xoup Old Boy. Do you have another car, or do you go around making dramatic entrances in the De Lorean and having to deal with Back To the Future allusions from passers-by?
For several years, my only car was a DeLorean. It was my daily driver all over Chicagoland in the 1980s. Even in the winter. And no, I did not have special "snow" tires.

And no, people did not give me shit about it. Unlike you, the people who said anything at all to me about the car were usually quite respectful.

Seriously, do you go up to people on the street and bad mouth them about their choice of car?

xouper

Re: Sweet rides

Post by xouper » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:41 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
I can't imagine being that touchy about my choice of car, but the I've got a VW New Beetle.
This just in:
https://www.businessinsider.com/volkswagen-vw-beetle-discontinued-2018-9 wrote:
Volkswagen is discontinuing the iconic Beetle after 80 years on the market

Volkswagen announced it will stop worldwide production of the iconic Beetle by summer 2019. The move comes as the auto market continues its march toward SUVs and crossover vehicles.

. . . Independent auto analyst John Wolkonowicz told the Los Angeles Times the current-generation Beetles mostly appealed to middle-aged women.
Well, that's a shame. I never owned one but I thought it about many times.

I also thought it might be fun to retrofit a 1968 body onto the current model and then watch the mechanic's face when he goes to check the engine in the rear.

:o

A lot of interesting custom Beetles have been built over the years.