Rehab

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Rehab

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:41 am

It's bullshit. Nearly a year of bullshit courses and I still want to drink as much as I ever did.

Dennis Leary explains...

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Rehab

Post by Doctor X » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:42 am

Every day without is a victory.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:34 am

Nope. Every day without is fucking miserable.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:42 am

The twelve steps:

We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable.
Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Well, that's a crock of shit, isn't it?

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:26 pm

I got sober by AA. Over 13 years now, one day at a time.

And of course there's a big heap of bullshit mumbo jumbo, but for me it was a good distraction from the first drink of the day.

No meetings at all for the past 8 years or so. Still sober despite the AA belief that you need them forever.

The mutual support is the key, not the spiritual bullshit. And you need a sponsor who isn't an asshole, which is far from guaranteed.

The real first step to staying sober is deciding you want to live.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:33 pm

I hate the mutual support.

Really. I detest going to AA meetings and the alternatives, (Rational Recovery, Mosaic etc. etc.)

More than half of the people there I wouldn't want to know even if they'd been sober for a decade.

Miserable, moping cunts, many of them criminals: the last time I went to a meeting, some bastard stripped my bike after he'd nicked my lighter and cadged half my tobacco. And this was at a CCTV covered NHS property.

Thanks a fucking lot NHS.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:42 pm

Wait a minute.

Is British AA an NHS government service?

I met plenty of people I wouldn't want to know in AA. I found listening to them whine a good object lesson. But those are not the ones I'd call in a crisis.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:11 pm

AA isn't but many are. S.M.A.R.T and others.

I've been, mostly under duress, and they're simplistic, judgemental, cruel bullshit: a cash cow for the NHS industry.

None of it's helped me at all.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:36 pm

Ah well, if it's worked for you then I can't complain, can I.

It doesn't work for most, though. Studies show that 40% drop out of AA within a year and only around 5% stay sober long-term, as you have.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:44 pm

There is no program with a high success rate, and AA's stats are additionally hampered by the nonsense of "sentencing" offenders to it.

Also, by AA's own standards I am a "dropout" because I no longer go to meetings.

But I'm sober even if the organization does not know it.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:55 pm

Well, I've been through the best part of a year's therapy, hated every second of it, loathed the people there and am currently very happily drunk. I'll dry out soon enough but I'm fucking sick of the rehab/psychiatry/psychology business. Some of the guys at the rehab clinic I attended have been taking methadone for forty years or more. I suppose that's better than them stealing to pay for street smack. A little.