Roof Scammed

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
gnome

Roof Scammed

Post by gnome » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:49 am

:cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

Fucking crooks.

Ok... so my house is old. The roof is old. I had to do a few minor repairs to it myself just to get insurance coverage when my original insurance company ditched the state.

Tropical storm comes through, no obvious damage.

Couple of months later some outfit named NRCB is at my door telling me that my roof was probably damaged by the tropical storm and that I have a basis for a claim on my homeowner's insurance. The way they work is, I authorize them to pursue the claim on my behalf, and they use the insurance money to subcontract for replacing the roof, minus the deductible which I pay. They profit on the difference between the insurance payout and whatever deal they can negotiate with their contractor.

I did a little research, and find out that this organization does have a presence online and does actually replace roofs. I looked up common scams and most of the advice was concerned with making sure that the contractor was licensed and that all the workers have workers' comp before you let them work on your house.

It seems a little unorthodox, but I felt I had looked out for pitfalls enough and had them go ahead with it. They won a settlement in mediation, and my repair is scheduled for Monday.

Yesterday, NRCB was in the local news after reports that they were stalling at getting the repairs lined up, and largely keeping the money while leaving their clients with no repairs and a bunch of excuses. Some homeowners reported that the repairs were done, but that they were then sued as a last resort by the contractors, who NRCB had not properly paid.

Also apparently the owner of the company is a guy who's brother is facing jail for roofing scams in Georgia.

:(

I'm trying to find out who the contractor will be and insist that they either get paid in advance or put in writing that they will not go after me if NRCB screws with them. But I have a feeling that I've heard the last of NRCB except maybe for their lawyers.

I can probably go after them for it, but I have to pile on with a bunch of other people and I figure now that the news report is out that they're busy looting the company so that they can declare bankruptcy and everyone they owe money to might get pennies on the dollar. But I guess I'm going to try.

In the meantime, my insurance company says they're cancelling me at the end of the year because I gave evidence of roof damage by making a claim, and haven't repaired it yet. I will probably need to find a way for a legitimate company to do it before the year ends.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Roof Scammed

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:55 am

... The way they work is, I authorize them to pursue the claim on my behalf,...
Did that not set off alarm bells?

Anyway, that sucks Gnome. How much are you out? Did they already collect from the insurance company? If the insurance company is dropping you for the claim, don't they owe the repair?

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Post by Tiosylanyl » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:01 am

The first red flag is when any roofing company shows up at your door unannounced. Scams like this are rampant in TN during the spring due to the amount of severe weather we get.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:21 am

Rob Lister wrote:
Well, it made a certain amount of sense--I could see value in hiring someone for their experience negotiating with insurance companies. In fact, that part of it worked just fine.
Anyway, that sucks Gnome. How much are you out? Did they already collect from the insurance company? If the insurance company is dropping you for the claim, don't they owe the repair?
They already got the payment, so I figure the insurance company considers the matter done. My agent says they'll probably reinstate me if I can document the repairs or planned repairs.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:31 am

Cannot the insurance company cancel the payment?

Or do they give a shit?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:33 am

Doctor X wrote:Cannot the insurance company cancel the payment?

Or do they give a shit?

--J.D.
I think too much time has passed. But I will be speaking to my agent, so if the insurance company can do something useful they'll let me know.
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:35 am

What's weird is how senseless it is. I saw the amount they got. They could arrange the repairs and walk away with a profit, being completely honest. I'm not sure what all the shenanigans are netting them besides an eventual jail term.
--Soldier, TF2

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Corporations don't get jail terms for misdeeds. They get free speech in the form of political spending.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:16 pm

DrMatt's political philosophy hangs on the wall and whistles. Well you could paint it red. :evil:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:18 pm

Blue.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Cloverlief

Post by Cloverlief » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:13 pm

That sucks, gnome. It is hard enough to get things done on your house, due to expenses and finding reliable contractors, without some scamming asswipe taking advantage.
Chani

fromthehills

Post by fromthehills » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:09 am

How'd this turn out?

I don't do roofs, if I can at all possibly help it. I have done an insurance claim with a lady that had fire damage. She was burning incense or a candle, and caught a curtain on fire. Did some damage to some trim, and cabinets. I provided a bid, license and proof of liability to her insurance company. They accepted, and when I was done, the agent came out looked at it, and I got a check in about 3 weeks.

My rule of thumb is: if I need something, I go after it. If they're coming to me, it's a scam.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:55 pm

Wise words indeed, fromoverthehills. I don't mind people I've dealt with before giving me a call when they're short of work, but cold callers get a great big FUCK OFF.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:05 am

No news yet, I am working on getting legal representation.
--Soldier, TF2

fromthehills

Post by fromthehills » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:25 am

Jesus Christ! The goddamn insurance company is supposed to do that. That's why you paid them.

:angry at the world:

People that knock on your door are not to be trusted. They're trying to fuck you, in one fashion or another.

I am some what sympathetic to your situation. These crooks should be stopped. But stopping them requires people to quit falling for their bullshit. Now it requires higher caliber bullshiters to step in. A mess, to say the least.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:39 am

As far as I can tell, the insurance company already paid their money and figure it's my problem now.

They may be less sympathetic being that after all I'm the one that hired these guys to put the squeeze on them.
--Soldier, TF2

fromthehills

Post by fromthehills » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:39 am

Sorry. But it sounds like what they call a life lesson, in the industry.
Last edited by fromthehills on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:26 am

gnome wrote:As far as I can tell, the insurance company already paid their money and figure it's my problem now.

They may be less sympathetic being that after all I'm the one that hired these guys to put the squeeze on them.
I gotta say, I see their point.

Cool Hand

Post by Cool Hand » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:15 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Coming late to this party, but yeah, what Rob said. That is the hallmark of a scam. A cold caller seeking your authorization to act on your behalf to obtain money from a third party. Jesus.

CH
....life purpose is pay taxes -- pillory 12/05/13

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

"Time" -- Pink Floyd

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:28 am

I think the most valuable thing I take away will be the lesson learned, so I will endeavor to pay attention.

In the meantime, I'll try to recover some of the money if I can. We'll see.
--Soldier, TF2