Another product for the suckers

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Nyarlathotep

Another product for the suckers

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:23 pm

The shirt that claims to protect you from "electromagnetic radiation". Looks like there is good money to be made in the fear biz these days.

XSHIRT : Protects you from cell phone, wifi & more.
All Hail The Crimson King

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Another product for the suckers

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:23 pm

I know this stuff protects from electromagnetic radiation:

http://www.coppertone.com/
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Postby hammegk » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:08 pm

TommieCopper.com

Not sure if this is more fraud than scam, or vice-versa. :P
Last edited by hammegk on Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gnome

Postby gnome » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:20 pm

"Stick a radiation detecting strip under the shirt and wave your cellphone all around it! See?! It works!!"

If you're one of the 10% that understands a control group, they'll gladly refund your money.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:11 pm

"Potentially harmful!"

That is, like, really bad! Like 9,000 level!

"Please spread the word through Social Media!"

But not through actual science journals.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:20 pm

On the up side, if you're only getting 1 bar on your crappy 4G service, just find 5 idiots to form a semicircle around you opposite the cell tower.

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:22 pm

Solar radiation on my water ensures that it is vampire-free. Prove me wrong!
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:42 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:I know this stuff protects from electromagnetic radiation:

http://www.coppertone.com/

On the facebook post where I first saw this nonsense I said something to the effect that they ought to start trying to get people to be afraid of that big EM radiation emitter in the sky...

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:14 pm

Why I only come out at night. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:30 pm

(Insert Hall & Oates joke here)

gnome

Postby gnome » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:27 am

(excise Hall & Oates joke immediately thereafter)
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Miles
Title: Kilometre's half-brother

Postby Miles » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:29 pm

''99% silver''?

Silver is actually one of the best conductors of electricity of all the pure elements (ρ (Ω·m) at 20 °C: 1.59×10−8) - the ρ (Ω·m) at 20 °C: for copper is 1.68×10−8 making copper almost interchangeable with silver in terms of electrical conductivity) - this would render the shirt as an amplifier of electromagnetic radiation, rather than an electromagnetic insulator.

We are consecutively bombarded with electromagnetic radiation each day - including the electromagnetic radiation that is continuously emitted from our bodies, as well as the electromagnetic radiation that is naturally emitted by the Earth, and it doesn't seem to have any effect on the organisms which came before us.

''Radiation'' is not always synonymous to the scary atomic and x-ray radiation that is so often thought of under the term of ''radiation''. Heat is a form of radiation also - known as ''thermal radiation'', but not as many conspiracy theorists subscribe to the idea of thermal radiation triggering carcinomas.
I'm allergic to woo. I break out into rant. --Miles B. 07/04/2014

AHHHHHH, SHADAP!!!!! -- JasonAristotle 07/04/2014

gnome

Postby gnome » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:04 am

Looked interesting, too bad I couldn't read a word of it.
--Soldier, TF2

Miles

Postby Miles » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:50 am

Should've gone to SpecSavers.

gnome

Postby gnome » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:16 pm

I don't think they sell a lens that corrects for willful obscurity.
--Soldier, TF2

Miles

Postby Miles » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:52 pm

That's funny, because I can read it just fine. I advise removing your sunglasses and turning on the lights.

Last edited by Miles on Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gnome

Postby gnome » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:55 pm

Don't pretend ignorance now. You already said before you didn't care whether people can see you or not. Have you changed your mind? If so, I can advise you how to resolve the problem.
--Soldier, TF2

Miles

Postby Miles » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:57 pm

I'm dyslexic. I wish that I was not however I cannot change how my brain developed. I've covered this subject already - coloured font is a coping strategy. It may seem strange to you as I would assume you are not dyslexic but it really does help me to read my own posts. I don't understand how you cannot read them unless you've chosen an alternate skin which would also make reading completely dark font a strain on the eyes.

http://lindseybell.com/dyslexia/colors.html

Color is important to create contrast & help the viewer determine items of importance.

Contrast helps the viewer establish information hierarchy and distinguish between different types of content. For example, using a different color for links then for paragraph text helps a dyslexic user tell the difference between the two.

Another aspect of color to take into account is font & background color. Some dyslexic users prefer certain color combinations for viewing content on the web. It can be helpful to include a way for the user to change the colors used on your site.

Everyone else, including my comrades who also visit this website, say they can read my font just as well as everyone else's. If you cannot read my text then just use the normal skin. If you can't do that then that's not my fault.
Last edited by Miles on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:03 pm

gnome wrote:Don't pretend ignorance now. You already said before you didn't care whether people can see you or not. Have you changed your mind? If so, I can advise you how to resolve the problem.

Actually, He can't fix the problem. You can't fix stupid. And you can't fix being a dishonest sock either.

Miles

Postby Miles » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:04 pm

Dyslexia is stupidity now? Actually, dyslexia has no effect on one's intelligence. It's a reading disability. I'm currently in University aiming for a PhD in microbiology. The entry requirements for such a course are not unstrict. Mr. Albert Einstein happened to be dyslexic, also.

How about you go and join SkepticForum and say the same to Matthew Ellard? He also types in blue font:
http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=22181
Last edited by Miles on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Frauds, Scams & Urban Myths”