Pickpocketses

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Pickpocketses

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:13 am

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2014062 ... -your-mind
Pickpockets tend to hang out near ‘beware of pickpockets’ signs, because the first thing people do when they read it is check they still have their valuables, helpfully giving away where they are.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Pickpocketses

Post by Doctor X » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:31 am

Pickpockets often work in teams do that the "picker" can dump the wallet quickly if detected.

One will even yell "pickpocket" and the like to get people to grab and reveal their wallets.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:23 am

Never been pickpocketed but I have been targeted once in Hong Kong back when I was in the navy. I was sitting on a bench, I think I was waiting to take a ferry to Kowloon. These two older Chinese guys sat on each side of me and started talking to each other. I saw a third guy put a wallet in a newspaper and hand it to a fourth guy. I don't know whose wallet that was but I did grab my own wallet to make sure it was still there and then I got up and just got away from them.

Maybe the wallet thing was to make me grab my wallet to show where it is, I don't know. But I just got up immediately and left the area and went to go stand somewhere else. So they didn't really get a chance. Maybe they figured I wouldn't notice the two guys on either side of me, but they were acting weird and it made me suspicious even before I saw the wallet in the newspaper. Why would you sit on opposite sides of a stranger and then have a conversation with me in the middle? It's not like there was no other place to sit. There was plenty of extra bench space where they could have sat instead.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:29 am

No.

That is why you still have two kidneys.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:52 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Never been pickpocketed but I have been targeted once in Hong Kong back when I was in the navy...
I used to carry a decoy wallet on liberty. It was never stolen. Still, I never made it back to the boat in any condition but broke.