Microsoft Tech Support Scam

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Nyarlathotep

Microsoft Tech Support Scam

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:55 pm

So this is a new one, to me at least.

One of my sisters just called me because she got a fishy seeming phone call alleging to be from "Microsoft Tech Support" and they had gotten several reports of some sort of problem with her system. So, they asked, could she let a tech remote on to look at things and install a couple of patches.

Because we all know that MIcrosoft is renowned for its proactive, customer service. Mmmm Hmmmmmm.

Luckily she thought to call me first. After recommending she decline because it sounded hella fishy, I looked it up. Its a common enough scam that Microsoft has a page about it...

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

It just surprised me that i had never heard of it before. Makes sense though, seems like the kind of thing that could get a lot of people.
Bango Skank was here!

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Microsoft Tech Support Scam

Postby Doctor X » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:58 pm

Hurrrrr . . . hurrrr . . . I thought Microsoft was a scam . . . hurrr . . . hurrr. . . .

Though one should wonder how the hell Microsoft, Apple, or anyone else could call you to ask you to allow them to take over your computer.

Might as well report the phone number used, though fat lot of good that will probably do.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:14 pm

That was pretty much what I told her. I pointed out that I don't remember Windows asking for a phone number when you register and even if they did and I forgot, I know she has changed phone numbers very recently. Thus, how could they have known to call her at that number?
Bango Skank was here!

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:44 pm

To step back from my "Huurrrr Iz a EXPERT on Computers Stuff!" attitude for a moment, scam artists depend upon natural reactions of marks. You get a call, you sort of assume it is legitimate rather than bullshit. "They must know!" So that is not a criticism towards your sister.

I had an OBVIOUS phish that just happened to come from the bank My Broker™ works with a few years ago, and even though I knew it was bullshit, I still felt that "oh noes! Problem! I must respond." Scammers have been doing this, as you know, for centuries.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:14 pm

Oh yeah, for some reason various phishing e-mails keep slipping through the malware filters at work. Most of them are pretty obvious, but the closest they ever got to catching me is when I got one claiming to be about an undeliverable package from UPS and I was actually expecting a package from UPS that particular day. The thing that stopped me from clicking on the "attached information" was stopping and thinking for a sec and realizing that the e-mail address they would have had would have been my personal e-mail, not my work e-mail. That and generally knowing better than to click on unknown attachements.

But that's how they get you. They know that 99% of people will ignore and/or report them. But that 1% who they catch in juuuuust the right set of circumstances will fall for their shit.
Bango Skank was here!

Evolver

Postby Evolver » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:24 pm

Got one of these a few days ago.
The first thing I said was "You are a piece of shit."
The guy said: "I am a piece of shit?"
I replied: "Good. Now that we have that established, let's figure out how big of a piece of shit you are. Do you rape children?"
Asshole: "What?"
Me: "You just told me that you are a piece of shit. I can't do any business with you until you tell me how much of a shit you are. Are you slimy and smelly? Or are you a dried up piece of shit."

This went on for a while, with the dork getting very flustered and angry. I told him: "Thank you. We have completed the trace of this call. Expect the tactical teams to eliminate you and your family momentaryily."

"Click."
2016 & 2018 NFL "Sorry To Make You Cry" Challenge Champion

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would be no religious people." - Dr. Gregory House

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:55 pm

You guys answer your phone?

Damn. How very 20th century.

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:07 pm

Rob Lister wrote:You guys answer your phone?

Damn. How very 20th century.

On the TV, no doubt.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:14 pm

My girlfriend's parents got one of those calls too. I think what they do is look for listed phone numbers of people with names that were popular 70-80 years ago to increase their odds of getting a senile or technology illiterate mark.

I had a scam email that came close to working the other day. My bank sent me a new debit card because of the Home Depot hack. As many of you know this then makes you have to remember all of the automated payments you have scheduled on your old card, and you have to update. I got an email purportedly from my old ISP but which I still have an email account with, saying my credit card on file was not taken and to update my account. The timing of this scam email was perfect, but the wording was odd, as if from a non-English speaker. I looked at the address in the link and it wasn't the correct one.

It did remind me, however, that I had not updated that account so I then did so.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:28 pm

We received one routed internally, titled "All Faculty & Staff Members Only", claiming that e-mail accounts were out of disk space, and providing a link to click to re-authenticate and raise quota. The link was, of course, to an unfamiliar URL well outside the institutional firewalls. The person I received it from had, no doubt, clicked on the link, allowing the phishers to grab their password and forwarding the e-mail to all internal mailing lists. I grabbed the headers and alerted my postmasters, and a few hours later they sent out warning e-mails to everybody. Today all traces of the original e-mail are missing from my mailbox.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Return to “Frauds, Scams & Urban Myths”