Secret Shopper scam

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Secret Shopper scam

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:20 am

Got this message on a social media platform. From a relative, and it is so obviously a scam. I'm wrapping it in NSFW tags to hide it from the search engines.

NSFW:

Code: Select all

Do you have a little time to offer? You need something to work with and have fun? Being a Secret Shopper is it. Or you have the zeal for shopping .Intelli Shops will be needing you to evaluate, assess stores and customer service professionalism.  I have personal experience working with them. It has been amazing and i would like you to try it out ,Plus the HR Director wanted me to share this.  You will be assigned to visit a shop ,pretend to be a normal potential customer who's looking for a particular service or product. You are entitled to USD300.00 per task   Not sure you'll be interested , send the bellow information to intellishopsrv@gmail.com if interested.  Full Name : Home Address : City/state : Postal Code : Phone # :  They will contact you immediately as your application has been received.  You can thank me later .
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Secret Shopper scam

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:37 am

The whole tone certainly sets off scam alarm bells, but I'm not seeing exactly what the sting is supposed to be.

Just collecting names and addresses for future sucker lists?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:50 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:The whole tone certainly sets off scam alarm bells, but I'm not seeing exactly what the sting is supposed to be.

Just collecting names and addresses for future sucker lists?

Does it really matter exactly how the scam works?

They get your name, address and phone number. Then, presumably they'll call you with whatever the scam is. Maybe taking back stolen products to be returned for a refund. It could be lots of things.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:42 am

Identity theft.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:35 am

Doctor X wrote:Identity theft.

--J.D.

Yeah, could be that too. Maybe they'll get a credit card in your name and run it up, ruin your credit score.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Postby Ben Trovado » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:44 pm

As an aside, it has been said that many scammer put in deliberate mistakes (misspellings, word choices, odd grammar) to weed out those who notice it and decide to pass on that basis -- leaving them more time to prey on those with less education or who are not paying as much attention.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:48 pm

Pyrrho wrote:Got this message on a social media platform. From a relative, and it is so obviously a scam. I'm wrapping it in NSFW tags to hide it from the search engines.

NSFW:

Code: Select all

Do you have a little time to offer? You need something to work with and have fun? Being a Secret Shopper is it. Or you have the zeal for shopping .Intelli Shops will be needing you to evaluate, assess stores and customer service professionalism.  I have personal experience working with them. It has been amazing and i would like you to try it out ,Plus the HR Director wanted me to share this.  You will be assigned to visit a shop ,pretend to be a normal potential customer who's looking for a particular service or product. You are entitled to USD300.00 per task   Not sure you'll be interested , send the bellow information to intellishopsrv@gmail.com if interested.  Full Name : Home Address : City/state : Postal Code : Phone # :  They will contact you immediately as your application has been received.  You can thank me later .

Snopes has your answer.

Short version = It's just a variant on the old check cashing swindle. If you take them up on the offer, part of the "job" will require cashing a check at the store and wiring the money to the scammer. Then the scamee will be on the hook for the amount of the (bad) check.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:31 am

There are people who go after these Cunts who, literally, decorate their walls with the bogus checks. Not that anyone HERE needs to be told, but they warn neophytes that a "screw the bank/store/man" attitude WILL get their asses reamed by the Feds. Further, interestingly, it can take months for a check to clear. I did not know this, but then I tend to avoid transactions drawn from Banco De Nigeria. So well-meaning neophytes who want to believe will ask "what if it clears?"

It can, initially.

Then a few months later you will be lucky to just be out the face-value of the check along with the hefty fees.

Why I have no sympathy for these Cunts: the scammers. They prey on the desperate, who see an opportunity to pay off bills--not just fools who waste the "wind-fall" on some "thing" they do not need: food, electricity, et cetera. Why I appreciate those who scam the scammers . . . sometimes with very unpleasant results for the scammer.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Return to “Frauds, Scams & Urban Myths”