New $3200 Sony Walkman

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

New $3200 Sony Walkman

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:52 am

How much would you pay for a Sony Walkman? Now double it. You're still not even close. Engadget reports Sony unveiled a $3,200 Walkman during IFA 2016 Thursday in Berlin. Or as Mashable puts it: "Sony's out of its mind." The new NW-WM1Z is meant to appeal to super serious audiophiles. And the Verge reports the big changes are in the hardware. The Walkman is made out of gold-plated copper to reduce magnetic interference and resistance. It also separates its analog and digital circuitry and includes a "dual clock circuit with low phase noise quartz oscillator." And if any of that makes sense to you, you might be the target customer.

Sony's expensive new Walkman is "as bulky as an original iPod," according to Mashable, and features a 4-inch touchscreen that "can be a little terrifying" in the amount of information in displays. It boasts 256GB of storage and works with Direct Stream Digital audio files, which have a sample rate 64 times better than CDs. Still, Mashable "wasn't blown away" by the sound quality. And the Verge states all this will only result in "minor sound quality improvements that only serious audiophiles with equally high-end headphones will notice."
http://www.newser.com/story/230494/new- ... -3200.html

Maybe this doesn't qualify as fraud but it sure feels like it. Still, if an audiophile wants to spend the cash, why shouldn't Sony take it?

I'm not sure where the buyers are going to get the Direct Stream Digital files from. I suppose they will come directly from Sony (at probably 10x the price per song). A DSD file is ~88 times the size of an MP3 so they're going to need that 256GB.

Anaxagoras

Re: New $3200 Sony Walkman

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:03 am

Where does one listen to a walkman or iPod?

I listen to mine on my commute, which is very noisy most of the time. The only part of it that isn't (usually) is walking to the train station from my house. Point is, you are not listening in a soundproof room. And if you wear those big headphones that completely cover your ears and block out all external sound, that's actually dangerous because you won't hear the car coming up behind you. We evolved ears in part to help keep us alive, by alerting us to approaching danger. I wear headphones that allow external sound to get in. At least in your house it might be quiet enough to justify getting a sound system with decent sound quality.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Postby Witness » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:22 am

Rob Lister wrote:I'm not sure where the buyers are going to get the Direct Stream Digital files from.

Some details (from 2014) here: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/the-abcs-of-dsd-downloads/?page=1

From a quick diagonal read, freeware player foobar2000 + ad hoc plugin is enough for playing DSD files on your computer. And there are (legit) files to download for free, just google a bit.

If you try it out, please keep us posted. 8)

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:43 pm

Gold plated copper?

Never mind the audiophile bullshit, that's some serious bling bling. :BigGrin3:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:14 pm

Witness wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:I'm not sure where the buyers are going to get the Direct Stream Digital files from.

Some details (from 2014) here: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/the-abcs-of-dsd-downloads/?page=1

From a quick diagonal read, freeware player foobar2000 + ad hoc plugin is enough for playing DSD files on your computer. And there are (legit) files to download for free, just google a bit.

If you try it out, please keep us posted. 8)

I won't try it out. There's no need. My ears couldn't tell the difference even if there were a difference to tell, which there isn't.

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:24 am

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:00 am

To reiterate, lest lurkers get the wrong idea: WHICH.THERE.ISN'T

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:20 am

:mrgreen: You're cute, Rob, that's why I like to pull your leg sometimes.

I think I already told that story, but: a friend got sucked into the audiophile thing, buying ever more exotic (and, of course, pricey) equipment. Until one day he noticed that he could "hear" a difference depending on how he plugged in some mains cable. (Some plugs without grounding allow two positions.) Which spoiled it for him. :lol:

So it's just "seeing things with the eyes of love", and a different/rare file format/walkman must sound better, right?

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:28 am

Witness, another poster here likened buying the foolish stuff to buying an expensive watch; it doesn't tell time better but it is impressive. I get that. But the buyer admits that it tells time no better and he's only wearing it to get laid.

Hard to disagree. But I like it framed that way explicitly. Because I'm pretty sure the gold-plated digital cable buyers are not getting laid.

Return to “Frauds, Scams & Urban Myths”