Angry Spam

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Nyarlathotep

Angry Spam

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:24 pm

So, today I had to wade into my spam folder to see if an email had ended up there. I noticed a handful of spam messages with really angry titles like "You screwed up my life (name portion of my address)" or simply just "FUCK YOU!", all from differing spammy addresses and none had attachments. They were flagged as "similar to other messages reported as Spam" so that tells me lots of people got these

Just curious what the game is? Spammer went off his psych meds? Maybe testing to see if that was a good way to get past spam filters?

Any speculations?
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Angry Spam

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:22 pm

Three or four of those were sent by me. A couple too from my wife.

Oh, BTW, fucking thanks.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:39 pm

Sorry I ruined your life, Rob

Unfortunately your email got wedged between a couple of notifications that I had won $1,000,000 and a notification from someone named Monica that she was looking for a steamy time. I guess I am too late for my million bucks but I pointed Monica towards our local hot springs, which I presume are quite steamy

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:47 pm

At least there was no penis enlargement spam.

For a while, I was getting enough of that where I was beginning to take it a mite personally

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm guessing it's just another way of social engineering. Maybe the Nigerian princess thing isn't working anymore.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:39 pm

Seriously -- If you answer you confirm your email address.

Only suckers answer, etc.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:55 pm

Didn't even open them. But that makes sense

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:09 pm

All I've been getting lately is "Activate this financial robot to make millions!" etc.

Droids. Meh.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:20 am

Pyrrho wrote:All I've been getting lately is "Activate this financial robot to make millions!" etc.

Droids. Meh.

Spam rarely gets through my filters. At home or at work. But when I have to wade into my spam folder like today....
IMG_0359.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:36 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:Didn't even open them. But that makes sense
Fwiw, I'm no computer security expert but I think it's generally safe to look at the emails as long as you don't open any attachments.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:24 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:Didn't even open them. But that makes sense
Fwiw, I'm no computer security expert but I think it's generally safe to look at the emails as long as you don't open any attachments.
It wasn't a safety thing. It was that I could see enough of the body in the preview to know there was nothing interesting to read

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:53 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Fwiw, I'm no computer security expert but I will pontificate on the subject like 僕の先輩 師範Doctor X, the Humble Yet MagNIfIcent does on anything that does not involve Your Mom, Thomas Edward Brady's jock-strap, or the contents of George Lucas' Japanese Original Spank Bank.
I was going to post Tentacle Hentai, but, for you Sad, Pathetic, Slaves to PCs, it seems since about 2013 M$ fixed it.

Assuming you trust M$.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Fid

Post by Fid » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:10 pm

Holy shit I just checked my spam folder. I was unaware that I pissed off that many wimminz....Please please tell me where to send the check to account for my past misdeeds.

This will of course include child support as I'm a fabulously rich gulf Arab Prince.

Forward banking info to XXX.XXX.com
"Try SCE to AUX."
Yeah, me and an electrified atmosphere ain't friends.

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:34 pm

Weirdly (?), I have no spam.

For a time some shoe store in Spain (?!?) sent me offers, but as it appeared legit I wrote back and they desisted. I also subscribed for news from a video gear site and from time to time they also send me "promotions" (stupid things like backgrounds or music, thank you very much I can do that myself), but that's barely spam as they have to make a living too.

So I wonder, what are you guys doing? Do they tag you somehow through social media? :?

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:31 am

Witness wrote:So I wonder, what are you guys doing? Do they tag you somehow through social media?
If i give my email to any company, major or minor, they spam me. and then the sell it to others who also spam it. It is logarithmic. I have to change my 'give out' email annually.

If that's not how it is for you then you are a communist that does not live in a capitalist country.

:freedom:

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:37 am

Witness wrote:Weirdly (?), I have no spam.

For a time some shoe store in Spain (?!?) sent me offers, but as it appeared legit I wrote back and they desisted. I also subscribed for news from a video gear site and from time to time they also send me "promotions" (stupid things like backgrounds or music, thank you very much I can do that myself), but that's barely spam as they have to make a living too.

So I wonder, what are you guys doing? Do they tag you somehow through social media? :?

Not even in your spam filter? Depending on what you use for email, you probably have one and its probably full. It's not even a matter of being careful. I could start a brand new account somewhere, never ever tell a soul the address, and I would still get a small amount of spam merely from bots sending shit randomly to addressses it makes up.

It's possible your spam trap is through your ISP and you can't access it, but that's a bad thing IMO because sometimes e-mail that you actually want ends up in there and its good to be able to check. I never see my spam either unless I do that.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:01 am

Nothing in my spam folder, apart from the mentioned "video promotions". AFAIKT, all e-mails reach me, so my ISP apparently doesn't filter.

Of course I use a disposable/dummy mailbox if some site wants an address to let me have some goodies. (E. g. https://www.mailinator.com/.)

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:06 am

Now I got curious. I just created a new e-mail address that I am not going to give to anyone or anything, but the sort of thing that is plausible as an email address (i.e. an initial and a last name), now I am going to wait to see how long it take me to get my first spam

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:24 am

↑ Interesting. Keep us posted!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:16 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:Now I got curious. I just created a new e-mail address that I am not going to give to anyone or anything, but the sort of thing that is plausible as an email address (i.e. an initial and a last name), now I am going to wait to see how long it take me to get my first spam
I'm guessing you would only start to get spam if you actually use the e-mail address for something, like to sign up for something.

When I joined the company I currently work for, I didn't really get any spam at first. There was no need for a separate spam folder. Then one day after I gave my work email to a new employee of the company (he was another American who worked here for a few years and then left) I came to work and found a whole shit-ton of spam in my inbox, the first one looked like it came from him (his email address). But it wasn't from him. I think what happened is his home computer got infected with some sort of malware that searched his address book and found my address among his contacts. Ever since that day it has been a constant deluge every day (mostly Japanese spam). Most of it I don't see because it gets filtered out but it's probably around 10/day.
William Shakespeare