Kindle Unlimited book stuffing

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Kindle Unlimited book stuffing

Postby Pyrrho » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:42 am

https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/06/ ... ter-story/

In the first year of Kindle Unlimited, scammers took advantage of the system by uploading ebooks so short that they got paid after only a few pages were read. Amazon put a stop to that in July 2015 by switching to a system that paid based on pages read, and in response the scammers invented the book-stuffing con and started uploading really long books.

The way that the book-stuffing con works is that scammers stuff lots of extra content into an ebook before uploading it to Kindle Unlimited, and then trick readers into jumping to the end of the book.

Thanks to a flaw in the Kindle platform, namely that the platform knows your location in a book but not how many pages you have actually read, the scammers can get paid for a user having "read" a book in Kindle Unlimited by getting the user to jump to the last page.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/11/notor ... bookstore/

Carter and his books are gone but books stuffers like him still exist. While it’s not a crime per se, it does muddy the Kindle ebook waters and brings garbage content into the market. While most of us wouldn’t fall for these cynical tricks, plenty will and that makes it a danger to readers and a boon to scammers.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Kindle Unlimited book stuffing

Postby Rob Lister » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:22 am

That is kind of clever. It's worth pointing out that Kindle Unlimited is the Netflix for Readers. You pay a fee of $10/mo and can select (borrow) from over over 1.3 million books, eight books at a time.

But of that 1.3, only fifty thousand or so are even available outside the kindle market. And of those, very, very few are the hottest best sellers.

And unlike Netflix, which commissions their own [generally very good] original content anybody can upload their own crappy e-book to Kindle Unlimited. Scammers too. So of those 1.25 million books that are left, 1.249998 are utter crap.

Here's a great link if you're thinking of getting this service
https://ebookfriendly.com/kindle-unlimi ... scription/

Personally, I'd recommend you save your sawbuck and use https://openlibrary.org instead

xouper

Postby xouper » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:48 pm

I concur. I decided a long time ago not to bother with kindle unlimited. For all the above reasons.

If one is serious about reading the latest and greatest ebooks, I have found that my local library has a reasonably good selection of free ebooks by most of the popular authors. I download them and read them on my iPad.

Example, I just downloaded James Comey's book, A Higher Loyalty which is not available through kindle unlimited.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074J6F41V/

I have three weeks to read it, and then it automatically "expires" and goes to the next person on the waiting list. I usually return them manually before expiry (no point in making the next person wait needlessly).

And no monthly fee. Just higher taxes.

xouper

Postby xouper » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:59 pm

Meanwhile — completely separate from kindle unlimited — my collection of free kindle books (the kind you buy for $0.00 and keep forever) has just passed 264,000. Yesterday's haul, for example, was 862 free kindle books. My 30 day running average is now approaching 600 per day.

It took me three years to get to 100,000. And then another year to get to 200,000, and then only three months to get to 250,000. Perhaps I might yet reach a million in a few years.

So far I have read exactly two of them.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:05 pm

xouper wrote:Meanwhile — completely separate from kindle unlimited — my collection of free kindle books (the kind you buy for $0.00 and keep forever) has just passed 264,000. Yesterday's haul, for example, was 862 free kindle books. My 30 day running average is now approaching 600 per day.

It took me three years to get to 100,000. And then another year to get to 200,000, and then only three months to get to 250,000. Perhaps I might yet reach a million in a few years.

Torture testing the memory capacity just for LULz?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

xouper

Postby xouper » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:26 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
xouper wrote:Meanwhile — completely separate from kindle unlimited — my collection of free kindle books (the kind you buy for $0.00 and keep forever) has just passed 264,000. Yesterday's haul, for example, was 862 free kindle books. My 30 day running average is now approaching 600 per day.

Torture testing the memory capacity just for LULz?

Of course. :wink: Some people collect beer bottle caps.

My collection of free kindle books can't be much stranger than that, no?

Besides, there might be some interesting data mining experiments to be done at some point.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:48 pm

Makes perfect sense.

I myself collect web browsers. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:59 pm

The future of Collecting lies in lint. Ask ed. He'll put you right.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Return to “Frauds, Scams & Urban Myths”