Our Changing Eating Habits

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Rob Lister
Title: Recursive Spline Reticulator

Our Changing Eating Habits

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:27 pm

I ran across an article on WSJ
https://www.wsj.com/articles/so-long-ha ... 1499363414
talking about the declining market for products such as Hamburger Helper and the like. Raising three boys, and being responsible for more than 50% of home cooking when I wasn't deployed elsewhere killing commies and mussel-men, I admit to serving my fair share of Hamburger Helper. It wasn't very good but it was particularly easy and the boys would [mostly] eat it without complaint.

I still do more than 50% of the cooking and I never serve prepared dinners anymore. In fact, I rarely even open a can of something more 'pre-prepared' than evaporated milk, beef or chicken stock, or some various cooking soup like tomato or cream of mushroom, etc.

I am cooking for fewer, sometimes, but I spend more time.

As a brag, yesterday, my day off, I made chicken and dumplings. The only 'prepared' product I used was a half package of frozen peas and the chicken was pre-plucked. Everything else, carrots, leeks, onions, potatoes, flour, salt, pepper, spices, etc, I grew myself at Harris Teeter.

gnome

Re: Our Changing Eating Habits

Postby gnome » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:07 pm

Is it possible the proliferation of cooking shows has led more families to home cooking away from prepared meals?

Or, let me make a different suggestion: there has been a recession, which means more people home due to unemployment, and meals made from ingredients can be cheaper if you know how to shop.

Maybe a combination of both, and a realization that avoiding prepared meals isn't always as difficult or time consuming as expected.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:18 pm

gnome wrote:Is it possible the proliferation of cooking shows has led more families to home cooking away from prepared meals?

Or, let me make a different suggestion: there has been a recession, which means more people home due to unemployment, and meals made from ingredients can be cheaper if you know how to shop.

Maybe a combination of both, and a realization that avoiding prepared meals isn't always as difficult or time consuming as expected.

I don't know about the second part but the first part almost has to be true. Even I take recipe ideas from the likes of ... well most of them. So does my wife. Alton Brown has teached me what I was doing wrong and right. I'm not a big fan of crazy-lady Rachael Ray but I've stolen from her. I've never used a Giada De Laurentiis recipe but I did have an illicit affair with her and broke up her marriage. Or at least I masturbated to her cleavage as she stirred the pasta. They all taught me that cooking is fun if you understand even a little how things and tastes come together. Chemistry you can eat.

Also the internet in general. You can find a 100 recipes for anything in about a minute and ratings to boot. I use that religiously. So yea to the first and wtf are you talking about to the second.

gnome

Postby gnome » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:43 pm

I'm willing to back up my idea of the second--what part do you question?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

xouper

Postby xouper » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:57 pm

I don't know how to cook. :dunno:

I just make simple stuff like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, salads, sliced and fileted apples, or store-bought twice-baked potato salad from the deli section.

The most complicated thing I make is cream of tomato soup from a can, with 2% milk, a slice of american cheese, and the little packet of flavor dust from a package of ramen noodles, spicy beef, usually. Simmer for 10 minutes. And then I boils the noodles (after smashing them in the package with a hammer to make them shorter) for 2.5 minutes, then discard the water and add the noodles to the soup.

:Hungry2:

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:18 pm

gnome wrote:I'm willing to back up my idea of the second--what part do you question?

Your whole fucking world outlook. I can't be more specific. To you. Personally. I don't want to make Ugly Girls cry. Like Gram.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Hey!

Why not re-brand TV Dinners as Internet Dinners? :p
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:52 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Hey!

Why not re-brand TV Dinners as Internet Dinners? :p

Stouffer's is currently the best. But you're right. hIRE eD.

xouper

Postby xouper » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:08 pm

Rob Lister wrote:Stouffer's is currently the best.

My favorites:

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”