Have you had your flu shot?

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Rob Lister
Title: Recursive Spline Reticulator

Have you had your flu shot?

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:56 pm

Last month my son was home visiting and went with me on an errand to pick up some meds from the local Rite Aid. He asked if I have had this year's flu shot. I said no and he made me get one. It didn't cost me anything except the 5 minutes to fill out their form and another 10 minutes for them to get their shit together and give me the shot.

While we were waiting I entertained him with stories about vaccinations in the navy: 12 corpsmen, 6 on left and right, all armed with air-injectors before every cruise. "Yea, I remember you telling me about that the last 10 times you told me about that," was his reply.

He also told me it is always a crap shoot as to whether or not they have the right shot for this years strain but they usually get it right.

Have you had your shot?

It doesn't hurt if the person giving you the shot is hot, and there's only one, and it isn't an air-gun that slices you open in 12 places.

Anaxagoras

Re: Have you had your flu shot?

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:20 am

Yeah, I hate those air guns. Give me a good old fashioned hypodermic needle any day.

I wonder if they've improved needles so they hurt less than when I was a little kid (70s) or if I'm just able to tolerate pain better because I'm older.

Oh, haven't yet gotten it this year, but I will, soon. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:06 am

We're getting them at the office. Probably some sort of obedience serum.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:16 am

Rob Lister wrote:I said no and he made me get one.

Pussy.

If my son tried to make me do something, I would say, hey, I'm the daddy. You don't make me to stuff. I make YOU do stuff. Then I would send him back down in the salt mines to mine me some fresh salt for the rim of my Margarita glass. Then I would call for my wife to bring me my stogie and light it. My slippers, sherry, and pipe are due at 6:02, consistent is the life I lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV_25f-6z_o

I like singing this song when I get hope from work sometimes. My wife and kids don't like it for some reason. :P
Such potential!

Fid

Postby Fid » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:57 am

Actually, yes I have. And it's the shot for elderly people that makes them vote against their best interest.

Seriously bros, get a shingles vaccine. My best friend suffered the pain of the damned,and is still hurting to this day.

DocX, any input?

Edit to add and I'm sure you lot already know this but...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shingles
"...And therefore never send to know for whom the dog woofs; it woofs for thee."

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Fid wrote:Seriously bros, get a shingles vaccine. My best friend suffered the pain of the damned,and is still hurting to this day.

DocX, any input?

It is a singularly painful condition which can lead to damage to the nerves with persistent and very difficult to treat pain.

Rather get a shot than get the shingles!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Rob Lister
Title: Recursive Spline Reticulator

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:47 pm

I went to get the shingles shot for free but the doc said I was not old enough (60) and the insurance would not cover it. I said how much. The cost was ~$500 (assuming my old memory). I said I'll wait. I find out now that I can go back and say I have this or that risk and get an exception. If I'm gay like Abdul I can get it now. Weird. If I'm gay like Doc X, I can't.

Medical is hard.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Postby asthmatic camel » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:22 am

I get the flu jab every year for free as I'm a diabetic+asthmatic and at high risk of taking up a valuable hospital bed should I get the flu. No side-effects and no flu for the last twenty years.

The shingles jab? I'd be up for that as chicken pox nearly killed me when I was thirty, (never had it as a child.) It's only available to the over 70's, though. :( About £200 to get private treatment.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:24 am

Since you had it as an adult you may not need it until your 70s. Funny, the recommendation is 60. NHS for you--hope you die before they treat you.

Unlike Obamacare--hope you are reduced to poverty before they treat you.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Fid

Postby Fid » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:36 am

The shingles vaccine cost me $250 US. But then it was cash only and from the back of a van down by the river.

Seriously though, my friend is ten years younger than me which makes him about 51 when he had the break out.

Fortunately his wife is (I think) a Physicians Assistant (OBGYN)
"...And therefore never send to know for whom the dog woofs; it woofs for thee."

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:54 am

Well, it seems my son may have come down with the flu anyway. He came home with a fever yesterday and we're keeping him out of school today. We all had shots, although some sooner than others and it may take a couple weeks for the protection to kick in.

This year's vaccine might not be very effective:

Chasing Seasonal Influenza — The Need for a Universal Influenza Vaccine (NEJM)

As clinicians in the United States prepare for the start of another influenza season, experts have been watching the Southern Hemisphere winter for hints of what might be in store for us in the North. Reports from Australia have caused mounting concern, with record-high numbers of laboratory-confirmed influenza notifications and outbreaks and higher-than-average numbers of hospitalizations and deaths.1 The number of notifications reached 215,280 by mid-October, far exceeding the 59,022 cases reported during the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic, according to the Australian Government Department of Health. Influenza A (H3N2) viruses predominated, and the preliminary estimate of vaccine effectiveness against influenza A (H3N2) was only 10%. The implications for the Northern Hemisphere are not clear, but it is of note that the vaccine for this upcoming season has the same composition as that used in the Southern Hemisphere. As we prepare for a potentially severe influenza season, we must consider whether our current vaccines can be improved and whether longer-term, transformative vaccine approaches are needed to minimize influenza-related morbidity and mortality.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:33 am

Maybe it is not the influenza but the autism?

--J.D.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:17 am

This his Umbrella corporation ruined everything.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:53 pm

They have a nice spokeswoman:

--J.D.

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”