Mumps cases soar after vaccine fear

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
iain

Mumps cases soar after vaccine fear

Postby iain » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:43 am

From today's Metro
Cases of mumps soared in Englandand Wales from January to March, figures showed yesterday. There were 578 reported cases compared with 331 in the last quarter of 2003. The Health Protection Agency said it was the highest quarterly total since records began in 1995. More than 70% of cases of the illness, which can cause fertility problems, were among 14 to 22 year olds. The agency blamed the rise partly on young people not having the MMR jab after the scare linking it to autism. The Government insists that the vaccine is safe.
Not surprising. The last sentence bugs me a bit - and seems common to a lot of MMR stories in the press. They say "the Government insists that the vaccine is safe." Is there a subtext of but who believes the government?? It might be better to say something like All the scientific evidence suggests that the vaccine is safe..

Loon

Re: Mumps cases soar after vaccine fear

Postby Loon » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:08 am

iain wrote:From today's Metro
Cases of mumps soared in Englandand Wales from January to March, figures showed yesterday. There were 578 reported cases compared with 331 in the last quarter of 2003. The Health Protection Agency said it was the highest quarterly total since records began in 1995. More than 70% of cases of the illness, which can cause fertility problems, were among 14 to 22 year olds. The agency blamed the rise partly on young people not having the MMR jab after the scare linking it to autism. The Government insists that the vaccine is safe.
Not surprising. The last sentence bugs me a bit - and seems common to a lot of MMR stories in the press. They say "the Government insists that the vaccine is safe." Is there a subtext of but who believes the government?? It might be better to say something like All the scientific evidence suggests that the vaccine is safe..

I'm not sure. I mean, the government is insisting that the vaccines are safe. So it's not technically wrong. But at the same time, they are ignoring the facts that:

--An overwhelming majority of scientists and doctors support vaccine usage.

--The evidence that vaccines are dangerous is astoundingly weak.

--The evidence that vaccines are safe is staggeringly solid.

--The evidence that vaccines prevent disease is irrefutable.

--The diseases that vaccines prevent can have NASTY consequences.
I guess there he chose to err on the side of more votes. -Grammatron

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:37 am

Methinks iain is correct. The wording allows readers to infer:

"just like the government told you there were WMDs, Clinton did not have sexual relations with that woman, Janet Reno is a woman, Cheney has no ties to oil, there were only three gunman at Daley Plaza, we landed on the moon. . . ."

Unfortunately, these are not funny, because measles is a serious disease.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”